• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie's book

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Junkie Jorge has some funny stuff in his book
Armstrong writes that his team "held out" from doping in 1994, hoping that tests would be developed to rid cycling of drug cheats. But the following year, Armstrong said, the famed bike race Milan-San Remo "ended up being the final straw where (a number of us) decided we'd do it.
hahahaha. That is some Grade A trolling. That is Hog/BPC/Chewy times 10. Brilliant
Why is this trolling, perhaps he should have said EPO doping, that would be more precise, but Milan San Remo 1994 certainly was a breaking point in cycling history. I have numerous sources of riders complaining about the Italian dominance, hell, even Conconi came into the spotlight at that time claiming the Italians had 'revolutionary' training methods over the winter, sounds familiar?

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
They also say Johan never pressured them to dope.......or course they didn't, since when have you had to pressure a junkie to take drugs? They were eager participants, no pressure needed.

This is a fantastic point that absolutely cripples a well-thought out and nuanced talking point.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Why is this trolling, perhaps he should have said EPO doping, that would be more precise, but Milan San Remo 1994 certainly was a breaking point in cycling history. I have numerous sources of riders complaining about the Italian dominance, hell, even Conconi came into the spotlight at that time claiming the Italians had 'revolutionary' training methods over the winter, sounds familiar?

It is clear they are talking about EPO, they were already doping.....a lot. As Hendershot said

'What we did was tread the fine line of dropping dead on your bike and winning,'

Like many in the sport it took them a while to figure out EPO, where to get it, how to use it, but the idea they held off on using it hoping that the UCI would develop a test is just more absurd nonsense from Lance.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if simple George will talk about stage 14 of 09 TDF when his best bud took a dump on him getting his team to help pull so he missed out on the Jersey. Maybe that spiteful nastiness hasn't been approved for public broadcast because it doesn't fit the narrative.

He certainly didn't mmm mm mmmake him happy that day.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Samson777 said:
Just a minor detail, but Ferretti is actually back in the sport. All tough it is in a minor role. He is advisor for the Italian national team. Not to say I disagree with your overall argument, obviously.

That's right, I forgot about that. Now that guy was a real pusher

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
ralphbert said:
I wonder if simple George will talk about stage 14 of 09 TDF when his best bud took a dump on him getting his team to help pull so he missed out on the Jersey. Maybe that spiteful nastiness hasn't been approved for public broadcast because it doesn't fit the narrative.

He certainly didn't mmm mm mmmake him happy that day.

He has spoken a few time, one was in the Chasing Legends dvd. From what I recall it was Garmin who did all the chasing and took the flack from Stapleton, George and Lance. Astana earlier had soft pedaled and let the gap blow out to 8+ minutes. Garmin closed down a minute of it in the last 10km.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
AG2R held the Jersey, it was there job to set the pace in the peloton not Astana. Astana pulled anyway and limited the gap with holding the Jersey from George. He was ****ed at the time.

del1962 said:
If he was, Frankie Andreu was unaware of it or he would have mentioned it in his affadavit

The legal people here can chime in. When we gave our depositions, our lawyer advised us to only say what we knew for certain as far as PED products and lance went. This is what did not register with Juliet. Frankie knew lance was using peds but didn't see him use, wasn't told by him that he used, etc. So beating the dead horse here, had Frankie said he knew lance was using peds based on nothing more than lance whining about their asses getting kicked, that wouldn't have held up in court.

Anyway, about this book. Pretty interesting this excerpt was chosen from the entire book to hit the AP. Yeah, Frankie said it would've left a monumental effect on George because Frankie was adamantly against the doping. He never knowingly or unknowingly doped from anyone on the team (pre Postal) e.g. Hendershot. His first time with a PED was on his own. But since George and Lance are using the same PR sheet, the target was to take jabs at Frankie and Travis. Too bad there was no indelible mark (fyi, indelible means memorable or lasting mark, George) on Junkie George when Frankie said no more to epo as well as refusing to getting on the program transfusing blood and popping pills.

George wants to portray himself as Mr. Nice Guy but when not in public he had no problem lambasting us for not going along with the armstrong lie.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
elizab said:
George wants to portray himself as Mr. Nice Guy but when not in public he had no problem lambasting us for not going along with the armstrong lie.

Was thinking about to purchase his book. This posts prevents me from.
Thanks.

elizab said:
The legal people here can chime in. When we gave our depositions, our lawyer advised us to only say what we knew for certain as far as PED products and lance went. This is what did not register with Juliet. Frankie knew lance was using peds but didn't see him use, wasn't told by him that he used, etc. So beating the dead horse here, had Frankie said he knew lance was using peds based on nothing more than lance whining about their asses getting kicked, that wouldn't have held up in court.

Anyway, about this book. Pretty interesting this excerpt was chosen from the entire book to hit the AP. Yeah, Frankie said it would've left a monumental effect on George because Frankie was adamantly against the doping. He never knowingly or unknowingly doped from anyone on the team (pre Postal) e.g. Hendershot. His first time with a PED was on his own. But since George and Lance are using the same PR sheet, the target was to take jabs at Frankie and Travis. Too bad there was no indelible mark (fyi, indelible means memorable or lasting mark, George) on Junkie George when Frankie said no more to epo as well as refusing to getting on the program transfusing blood and popping pills.

Firstly, as a retired trial lawyer, I think the advice your lawyers gave you about your depositions that "to only say what we knew for certain" was excellent advice. If you testified about the indirect knowledge you both had about the doping, you would have left yourselves open to attacks on your credibility about stuff you had not seen or heard directly from Lance. His legal team would have jumped on that and used their PR machine to smear you even more than they did,

I am trying to get one thing clear. If I understand your concern with GH it is the suggestion by him that Frankie encouraged him to dope in 1996. Do I have that correct? Without in any way defending GH or being an apologist for him, is it possible what he is saying is in effect, "I saw Frankie using in 1996 and because I had so much respect for Frankie, I decided if Frankie is using then I will to" and he goes off and gets some EPO.

What GH says in his book is this, "Frankie's use of EPO was the final sign. And it was a monumental one." This implies that Frankie did not encourage GH to dope, but GH's seeing Frankie dope was in effect the final straw for removing any doubt GH may have had about his own doping.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Tyler was smart, his book was first and it was a pretty good one at that.

George is too late to the party, and I really can't imagine that such a half-faced liar and confirmed omerta lover has anything interesting to say. I would imagine his "book" will flop, as it should.

Yeah this book will flop no doubt. Tyler's book was good and the fact that he had came out in public on 60 minutes a long time before Hincapie told the truth (the day of the reasoned decision I think) and wasn't exactly friends with LA.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Yeah this book will flop no doubt. Tyler's book was good and the fact that he had came out in public on 60 minutes a long time before Hincapie told the truth (the day of the reasoned decision I think) and wasn't exactly friends with LA.

I hope it flops and flops big time so none of the others try and rewrite history.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SundayRider said:
It was Tyler's book that really lifted the lid on that era wasn't it. The definitive guide to the era so to speak.

Tyler was honest. I dont expect the rest of the ex USPS/Disco to be.

Landis, I hope doesn't do a book after the QuiTam case. I hope he buys a farm and chills away from cycling.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Landis, I hope doesn't do a book after the QuiTam case. I hope he buys a farm and chills away from cycling.
my thoughts exactly.

btw, what's current status of the qui tam case?
i haven't been paying attention lately, but last thing i seem to remember was that nothing was gonna come out of it.