• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie's book

Did I miss this? I don't remember anyone mentioning it.

The Loyal Lieutenant: Leading Out Lance and Pushing Through the Pain on the Rocky Road to Paris

Trading on the sterling reputation that enabled him to survive a widely publicized doping confession, American cyclist “Big George” Hincapie—a record seventeen-time Tour de France participant, Olympian, and key witness in the Lance Armstrong doping case—offers an insightful account of his esteemed career and a sports era defined by performance-enhancing drug use.

In this highly anticipated cycling memoir, Big George Hincapie provides the most comprehensive account of a dark period in professional cycling, in which doping scandals have decimated the careers of some of the top athletes in the field.

The Loyal Lieutenant reveals how Hincapie’s life has been intrinsically tied to the sport he loves, from his earliest days in Queens, where he was influenced by his Colombian father’s love of cycling and the Colombian “cycling warrior” archetype. Hincapie takes us through his amateur years to the Olympics, and chronicles his exhilarating ride as a professional, including finding his true calling as Lance Armstrong’s most prized “domestique”—leading his then best friend to seven straight Tour de France victories.

Hincapie speaks openly about his relationship with Armstrong, how he himself began doping, and why he quit long before the headline-making revelations. His personal evolution is the journey of a man dedicated to coming clean about his past and to restore honor to the sport he loves.

Hoo, boy, Betsy I know you're gonna love this book! Amazon gives a May 27 publication date. Kindle only as far as I can tell.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's been tossed around here a bit for a short while now, but if those excerpts are any indication of what's to come...:eek:

I actually thought you were parodying it at first. Am I to believe that both the publisher and co-writer (because we know that George didn't pen this thing) thought that hitching their wagon to the Lance train was still a viable marketing tool? Good god.

I wonder if they submitted a draft to Stapleton for pre-approval while granting him full editing powers. This is one book I won't spend a dime on, but it should offer some more comic relief.

Based on those highlights, I hope this an animated book for children. Maybe with a 3-D pop-up of the Postal Bus in the middle of it?

[Edit]
Ah, that's right. Craig Hummer was in on this. Unlike many, I was never put off by Hummer's onscreen skills. But this? I hope, for his sake, that he was paid large sums up front. How many copies could they possible hope to sell of this?

Merckx index said:
Did I miss this? I don't remember anyone mentioning it.

The Loyal Lieutenant: Leading Out Lance and Pushing Through the Pain on the Rocky Road to Paris

Hoo, boy, Betsy I know you're gonna love this book! Amazon gives a May 27 publication date. Kindle only as far as I can tell.

Frankie was approached first "Can I write your book?" When Frankie said no thanks, hummer went to george.

If George has a sterling reputation, the bar is set very low. Wonder if his initial refusal to cooperate with the feds and usada will be in there?

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
elizab said:
Frankie was approached first "Can I write your book?" When Frankie said no thanks, hummer went to george.

If George has a sterling reputation, the bar is set very low. Wonder if his initial refusal to cooperate with the feds and usada will be in there?
It probably will be. His appearance in The Armstrong Lie - and the fawning over Lance at the end of his sworn affidavit - show that he still desperately wants to be Lance's wingman. He'll want the world to know he would never have snitched on Lance if it wasn't for big bad Jeff Novitzky.

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
elizab said:

Hummer has been after George to write his book for years, even before the doping stuff.

It is all about legacy, right! These guys are trying to redeem their reputations as best they can. Hincapie is trying to put a spin on his career that will best protect his commercial interests such as his clothing line, his development team and his hotel.

We all would probably do the same thing, but in Hincapie's case he is a little too late to the party. Had he had an epiphany that he was cheating and come forward that would be one thing, but it was not until USADA waved the big stick did he co-operate. Hard to give him any credibility in those circumstances. But the gullible public will probably buy the book and some will even believe him.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
We all would probably do the same thing, but in Hincapie's case he is a little too late to the party. Had he had an epiphany that he was cheating and come forward that would be one thing, but it was not until USADA waved the big stick did he co-operate. Hard to give him any credibility in those circumstances. But the gullible public will probably buy the book and some will even believe him.

I think with the publication of Cycle of Lies, we're beyond the saturation point on anything to do with Armstrong, at least for the general public. Even if Lance comes out with dirt on Weisel, McQuaid, etc., the only people who will care are the cycling nerds. We also have the Armstrong movie with Ben Foster coming out.

Tyler was smart, his book was first and it was a pretty good one at that.

George is too late to the party, and I really can't imagine that such a half-faced liar and confirmed omerta lover has anything interesting to say. I would imagine his "book" will flop, as it should.

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Tyler was smart, his book was first and it was a pretty good one at that.

George is too late to the party, and I really can't imagine that such a half-faced liar and confirmed omerta lover has anything interesting to say. I would imagine his "book" will flop, as it should.
I wish Landis had waited until he had come clean before publishing a book. Smart, funny, ****ed off guy who wants to watch the world burn. Would have been fun.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Jamie1012 said:
I wish Landis had waited until he had come clean before publishing a book. Smart, funny, ****ed off guy who wants to watch the world burn. Would have been fun.

Agreed.

Now FL is completely quiet until the Federal issues are resolved, and the rats start eating each other.

Check out @Dr_Celaya...and what he has to say about FL...

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Neworld said:
Agreed.

Now FL is completely quiet until the Federal issues are resolved, and the rats start eating each other.

The comment about him being smarter than the media portrays him is interesting. Regardless of the media, I've always thought it was abundantly obvious that he's smart. Admittedly his behaviour between '06 and '10 wasn't a very good advert for that, but still. I thought he came across as a fascinating individual in the Kimmage interview. Most sportspeople aren't.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
Agreed.

@Dr_Celaya is not THE Dr. Celaya but he is right, Floyd is one smart guy and would have won the Tour multiple times if everyone was clean

GH's book holds no interest for me..can't believe there will be much truth in there..
will someone who reads it let us know if there is one new shred of something to be startled at? I can't be arsed..:D

and yeah I'm pretty sure he stopped doping in '06..right?
"...why he quit long before the headline-making revelations." *cough*

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yikes. I just took a look at Craig Hummer's twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/craighummer

It would #appear that he has a #serious #addiction to using way too many #hashtags and @links throughout most of his #tweets.

Makes the #whole thing #damn near #unreadable.

Yo, @Craig. There's only #140 characters #dude. Try to #make more of them @black.

Oops, I meant #black.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dave_1 said:
he could gain a lot of Qui Tam..am not comfy with it,

Why? It'll come from Lance's money, not yours.

Not to mention that the figures that get thrown about represent the maximum possible amount, on paper. We can only wait and see how this all shakes out.

[Edit]
Sorry. I'll delete this if necessary. This is not a Floyd thread. Let's not go down that road here.

Granville57 said:
Yikes. I just took a look at Craig Hummer's twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/craighummer

It would #appear that he has a #serious #addiction to using way too many #hashtags and @links throughout most of his #tweets.

Makes the #whole thing #damn near #unreadable.

Yo, @Craig. There's only #140 characters #dude. Try to #make more of them @black.

Oops, I meant #black.

Every time I look at your Avatar, I think Dr Mas

TRENDING THREADS