• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie's book

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Velonews article about George's book.

"As the book’s title suggests, Hincapie played second fiddle for all of those years, and he apparently wanted to get his side of the story out there. Unfortunately he has done so in a very ineffective way." Ouch....yet true.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...lieutenant-rationalizes-doping-choices_330866

I didn't have time to read the entire review, just the first half and skimmed the lat, but Maxwell nailed it pretty well as many in the thread have about George. Also questioning his back/forth about Armstrong seemingly. As usual, all self-serving to these egotistical sociopaths.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Interesting fact: every time I see Hincapie's name now I immediately think "major anti-doping crusader".
would that be the Monty Python crusades frenchfry?
monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-screenshot.jpg

Velonews article about George's book.

"As the book’s title suggests, Hincapie played second fiddle for all of those years, and he apparently wanted to get his side of the story out there. Unfortunately he has done so in a very ineffective way." Ouch....yet true.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...choices_330866

I didn't have time to read the entire review, just the first half and skimmed the lat, but Maxwell nailed it pretty well as many in the thread have about George. Also questioning his back/forth about Armstrong seemingly. As usual, all self-serving to these egotis

Yes, this well written article nails it down. While George is probably a nice enough guy, he's certainly no saint. The fact that he's in cahoots with Lance is an obvious red flag. And just because humble George says his story is true, doesn't mean you don't have to get out the salt shaker.

It's a disappointing book. One doesn't necessarily expect earth-shattering insights or complete frankness in a sportsperson's autobiography, and I don't think a sportsperson should be obliged to give that up. But one does expect some revealing anecdotes, pointed memories and emotion. There's very little of that. Maybe because poor George was forced into a corner where he had to put out a politically astute book so as to steer his reputation through difficult waters. What irks is It seems George didn't give much time or input to this book, and it would be better described as an authorised biography rather than an autobiography.
Interesting on drugs, he gives the impression the doping didn't start till they were all in Europe... But that's only an impression, not a clear statement. There's not much clarity about medical assistance short of epo, and no explicit statement "this is when I started taking drugs". Seems to me the door is wide open to the possibility of them using domestically in their teens. plus a very weak explanation of why he was carrying lots of peds when stopped in us airport in 1996 - they weren't really his apparently. I guess he may just be having to keep that story up to avoid perjury charges.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:

LOL. That's pretty funny. When "Big George" has lost the love at...Velonews? It's over, dude. But no wonder I never click on that site anymore. Good article for exposing Hincapie's unrepentant BS, but still, so predictably Velo. In describing a stage win at the 2008 ToC:
certainly one of his bigger victories. It was the kind of inspired racing that can turn casual spectators into diehard fans.
Yeah, a truly memorable moment in cycling history. :rolleyes:

A regular guy, friendly and self-effacing,

Granville quote:

"In describing a stage win at the 2008 ToC:"
Quote:
certainly one of his bigger victories. It was the kind of inspired racing that can turn casual spectators into diehard fans.

"Yeah, a truly memorable moment in cycling history."

yeah I LOL'd at that quote as well...HUGE win.:rolleyes:

Archibald said:
this book is solidly sitting next to a bunch of Cycle of Lies books on the shelves at Dymocks.
Reckon someone on their staff has a sense of humour :)

Didn't some bookshop or library start shelving the Armstrong autobiographies in the Fiction section ? Self Help would be the only other section that might be suitable or maybe Medicine.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
I think with the publication of Cycle of Lies, we're beyond the saturation point on anything to do with Armstrong, at least for the general public. Even if Lance comes out with dirt on Weisel, McQuaid, etc., the only people who will care are the cycling nerds. We also have the Armstrong movie with Ben Foster coming out.

Count me as a nerd. I just finished Cycle Of Lies.Loyal Leiutenant next. I found it strange that Macur spelled out everybody's name but omitted any Spanish speaking riders that she claims doped and were installed on the team after Lance pooped out everybody else. Curious to see if George cuts with a razor or hatchet.
I will read George's book after reading the Velonews review that states that a good portion of the book is bio-boilerplate and most of the rest is reputation repair. I can't believe that after everybody else's books that Hincapie would not tell All in his tell all.
I have lived in NYC for a few years now and we had hypercoverage of Martha Stewart, Dennis Kozlowski and Lance. Each of them was given advice to make a deal and options to exercise it and all of them had too much ego and shot themselves in the head. Hincapie has/had much more at stake than most with his hotel and clothing and other cycling related money makers. If being a past doper is really important to anybody, only time will tell but so far it looks like there is a big group of avid cyclists that don't care if George doped or he fully ever admits it.

fatandfast said:
I can't believe that after everybody else's books that Hincapie would not tell All in his tell all.

Why would he? He's living large thanks to sports fraud and apparently artfully retelling stories to simultatneously not "spit in the soup" and protect his old riding buddies and USAC/UCI. I like Landis' description of George as a junkie. He is constantly bending the truth to fit junkie living regardless of the damage.

fatandfast said:
it looks like there is a big group of avid cyclists that don't care if George doped or he fully ever admits it.

Without a doubt. That's why the doping problem is much bigger than what was never done by the cycling federations.

fatandfast said:
Count me as a nerd.

If being a past doper is really important to anybody, only time will tell but so far it looks like there is a big group of avid cyclists that don't care if George doped or he fully ever admits it.

I too am a cycling nerd, because I care about the sport, so I continue to hope for change after the Big Lie, and all the other lies. That is why it is important to keep Armstrong's egregious behaviour front and centre. The Clinic (full of nerds) does a good, albeit an imperfect and biased job at doing that

I am not so naïve to think there are no dopers in virtually every race. It is frustrating to watch a race and in virtually every case have to wonder who was clean and who wasn't. I only hope those who do dope get caught.

In Hincapie's case he is the classic cheat profiting from his fraud. This is sick. However in the USA, brushing up against "celebrity" appears to count for more than ethics. The "big group of avid cyclists" are the real dopers because their fawning behaviour implicitly condones doping as a way to make money.

Hincapie belongs in the dust bin of cycling history and disgusting people.

AMGN has always been a pretty strong company/stock. One of my investment funds, Bio Tech, has a 53% return over the past 3yrs....AMGN is a pretty large holding of that fund 10%, and many other funds. May portfolio has been killing it...despite Lance and USADA.

It's been a pretty crazy ride the last several years in the market...EPO and cycling doping included!!! Thanks Georgie boy!!!

USAC STILL Loves George

When you steal from clean riders and protect a thoroughly corrupt sport, USA Cycling invites you to speak to Juniors about your illustrious career.

https://www.facebook.com/USAC.TID.c...9847184365174/895523993797486/?type=1&theater

The Southeast USA Cycling Regional Talent ID Camp enjoyed a suprise presentation from George Hincapie last night. George talked about the lifestyle commitment it took for him to become a professional cyclist and told some great war stories from European racing. What a treat!

What a treat indeed. When do you tell the kids to start doping George?

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
When you steal from clean riders and protect a thoroughly corrupt sport, USA Cycling invites you to speak to Juniors about your illustrious career.

https://www.facebook.com/USAC.TID.c...9847184365174/895523993797486/?type=1&theater

The Southeast USA Cycling Regional Talent ID Camp enjoyed a suprise presentation from George Hincapie last night. George talked about the lifestyle commitment it took for him to become a professional cyclist and told some great war stories from European racing. What a treat!

What a treat indeed. When do you tell the kids to start doping George?

"Lifestyle commitment."

TRENDING THREADS