• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

hitting the wall

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, i was just wondering on the bike the other day if there is any benefit from hitting the wall (running out of carbs) and continuing to ride at a lower intensity, would you burn more fats, or increase your bodys capacity to burn fats? I know thats not exactly how it works but what im asking is are there any physioligical benefits gained from doing like a 2.5+h ride on only water with out carbohydrate replacement?
cheers in advance

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i'm no expert, but from what i understand I don't think it's good to continue training for prolong periods after 'bonking'. Once your body runs out of carbs it will start to convert muscle mass into energy, which it can convert faster and more efficiently then from fat.

If you start your ride with a sufficient store of carbs, then during a 2hr ride you don't need to top up as your body has roughly 2hrs worth of store. However, post ride you'll need to fuel up to aid recovery and avoid muscle depletion.

I regularly ride 2hrs with just water, but anything further I'll bring food.

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
The key here is recovery. Most cycling coaches will most likely tell you that there is no benefit in letting your system run down (i.e. your body starts using fat vs. carbs) and will not gain any (physical or psychological) advantage. Each rider has different sources of "energy usage", but most pro cycling coaches will tell you that an average rider should not only make sure that your drink is cold (because it is more palatable in hot weather), but have a sports drink that has multiple carbohydrate sources, with the research pointing towards glucose + fructose as the best option. Having multiple carbohydrates can increase carbohydrate absorption to 1.3 g/kg body weight per hour versus just 1 g/kg per hour with glucose alone. Drink on a schedule and start drinking early on during your training ride. Once you become dehydrated gastric emptying will slow down. Having more volume can also stimulate gastric emptying, and gastric emptying can slow down at higher intensities, though the carbohydrate consumed in the sports drink improves performance.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
One of the goals of long-slow distance training (below 70% max HR) is that the body utilizes primarily fats as an energy wource. Fats are converted to usable energy in the mitochondria of the cells. When an athlete trains within the fat-burning zone, more mitochindria are produced. Having more motichondria is good for performance. Physiologically, this is one fo the many adaptations an athelte's body makes as a result of training.

To go for a ride and bonk, then keep riding is a rather drastic and uncomfortable way to ensure that your body is producing energy from fats. There are dangers associated with riding in a severly hypoglycemic (bonked) state. Decision making is not very good when bonked, reaction time is increased, and recovery time is increased.

It is wise to go for long slow rides to ensure that you are producing energy via fat anabolism rather than riding youself into the ground, then riding some more.

David Suro said:
One of the goals of long-slow distance training (below 70% max HR) is that the body utilizes primarily fats as an energy wource. Fats are converted to usable energy in the mitochondria of the cells. When an athlete trains within the fat-burning zone, more mitochindria are produced. Having more motichondria is good for performance. Physiologically, this is one fo the many adaptations an athelte's body makes as a result of training.

To go for a ride and bonk, then keep riding is a rather drastic and uncomfortable way to ensure that your body is producing energy from fats. There are dangers associated with riding in a severly hypoglycemic (bonked) state. Decision making is not very good when bonked, reaction time is increased, and recovery time is increased.

It is wise to go for long slow rides to ensure that you are producing energy via fat anabolism rather than riding youself into the ground, then riding some more.

having bonked and then cramped in my young days, listen to David. bad idea to do that. recovery will take forever. the goal is not to bonk,ever.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
One of those old school terms applied I think:- "Fat burns in the fire of carbohydrates." Not really true but things just don't work well in the body without carbs, and as Dave mentioned, the physiological responses you want from LSD training can be done without have to bonk.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bonking really takes the fun out of cycling. When it become a routine ordeal no doubt in short term you will tire of it and move on to another activity.IMO

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
bubblegum said:
Hey guys, i was just wondering on the bike the other day if there is any benefit from hitting the wall (running out of carbs) and continuing to ride at a lower intensity, would you burn more fats, or increase your bodys capacity to burn fats? I know thats not exactly how it works but what im asking is are there any physioligical benefits gained from doing like a 2.5+h ride on only water with out carbohydrate replacement?
cheers in advance
It totally depends on the type of body of a person. If suits and effected to burn the fat then it will really help you. Yes Cycling will burn your fat only when your empty belly. You can have luke warm water .