• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I've been looking at the standings and its quite incredible the number of teams over 500 winning percentage and many wont make the play off

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
That cut on Carter's nose happened when he fell to the ice during the fight. That can be the most dangerous part of fighting. Bickell kept hitting him when he was on the ice... uncool.

@ Boeing, yeah we've got some real parity right now. Not too many easy games and you can be above the water line and still far from the playoffs. Makes for some great games all year long.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
First round playoff picks?

East:
NYR-OTT - NYR
BOS-WAS - BOS
FLA-NJ - NJ
PIT-PHI - PHI

West:
VAN-LA - VAN
STL - SJ - SJ
PHX-CHI - CHI
NAS-DET- NAS

Going with the general favorites across the board in the East although the Pens-Flyers series is imo a complete toss-up, but I could see a couple of upsets in the West, namely San Jose and Nashville. Vancouver lost a tough one last night but I think they and Boston are still the two to beat overall, with the Rangers right behind. Caps might have had a chance for the upset over the Bruins if they didn't have the injuries to Vokoun and Neuvirth - can't see them going very far with Holtby as their #1 goalie.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
East:
NYR-OTT - Rangers 4
BOS-WAS - Boston
FLA-NJ - Devils 6
PIT-PHI - Phillidelphia 7

West:
VAN-LA - LA 7
STL - SJ - San Jose 6
PHX-CHI - Chicago 4
NAS-DET- detroit 5

and devils to win the whole thing... my guesses :S.. i am impressed by how big a deal this playoff business is in vancouver, the foreman came to work yesterday with canucks t shirt on :S

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
East:
NYR-OTT - Rangers 4
BOS-WAS - Boston
FLA-NJ - Devils 6
PIT-PHI - Phillidelphia 7

West:
VAN-LA - LA 7
STL - SJ - San Jose 6
PHX-CHI - Chicago 4
NAS-DET- detroit 5

and devils to win the whole thing... my guesses :S.. i am impressed by how big a deal this playoff business is in vancouver, the foreman came to work yesterday with canucks t shirt on :S
Gotta think if Vancouver doesn't win it this year that there will be some major changes over the off-season, starting with Luongo (if they can move that contract, that is).

Devils, eh? That's a pretty ballsy pick. I have them as my sleeper but I just don't think they have enough depth to match some of the others. Still, Brodeur and Kovalchuk get on a roll and they could carry the team between themselves.

I honestly have no idea who I think will win overall now - I said Van and Boston before but I could see any of 6-7 teams with a realistic shot. They all seem pretty evenly matched this year.

Classic playoff games last night - 3 out of 4 going to OT, one of those a 1-0 final, and the Blues/Sharks to 2OT.

icebreaker said:
I guess the upside is that I will get a lot more done, maybe even some riding, if I'm watching playoff hockey until mid-June.

Looks like that's almost a done deal with Vancouver down 0-3 in the series.

But there is plenty of other good hockey going on. LA for starters, but I did not watch that one. I did watch Florida beat NJ, which was good game right down to the wire with an open net goal in the last second. It didn't look like it would go down to the wire with the Panthers up 3-0 to start the 3rd period. But the Devils came out and scored two goals in the first 2 minutes of the 3rd period. Game on. But the Panthas prevailed... so I got to witness my first rat trick.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
What in the world has happened to the Pens? Not so much that they're down 3-0, although that is a bit of a surprise, but that they've completely lost it. I can't remember seeing a team so thoroughly come apart at the seams like they did in the last game. And Crosby - sheesh. I like him a lot but he's been nothing but petty and whiny the past couple of games.

Crosby has been petty and whiny for quite some time.
I appreciate his talent, but Crosby is the Tiger Woods of hockey.
He's a great player, but his sense of entitlement seems to override common sense.
Did you see his post-game interview when he repeatedly stated that he didn't like anyone on the Flyers? He sounded like a baby.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
PHI-PIT is just crazy, while Philadelphia's been good I can't see them in the final with Bryzgalov playing like this.

Vancouver is a somewhat sad story since I like the Sedins but they never seem to perform in the Stanley Cup. I watched three games live last year, two against Nash and the first final and Boston out manouverd them very well. Kesler and Burrows need to step up aswell. If they lose in the first round I hope Henrik Sedin decides to play the World Cup here in Stockholm but I highly doubt that he will :(

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Root for Flyers (cos our Czech star Jágr plays there), hope tomorrow we definitely beat out Pittsburgh with that spoiled crying baby captain. I bet Philly, Boston or Rangers for the Cup this year.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Can't remember a playoffs with so many suspensions, and all of them deserved (and Weber should've been suspended). Now looks like Torres and Backstrom will join the list. Then there was Chimera spearing Marchand but no call. Lots of dirty play going on out there.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
hoerpi said:
Vancouver is a somewhat sad story since I like the Sedins but they never seem to perform in the Stanley Cup.(

Even you Swedes subscribe to this myth? :confused: Since the 08/09 season, H.Sedin has 48 points in 50 games in the playoffs.

plooton said:
Root for Flyers (cos our Czech star Jágr plays there), hope tomorrow we definitely beat out Pittsburgh with that spoiled crying baby captain. I bet Philly, Boston or Rangers for the Cup this year.

Yeup. Go Philly!

VeloCity said:
Can't remember a playoffs with so many suspensions, and all of them deserved (and Weber should've been suspended). Now looks like Torres and Backstrom will join the list. Then there was Chimera spearing Marchand but no call. Lots of dirty play going on out there.

And lots more dirty play after Torres hammered Hossa, who was carted off on a stretcher. Hope he'll be okay. A few officials from that Chicago-Phoenix game need their eyes checked for missing the Torres hit. How that happens and as a result a Chicago player gets a penalty so Phx ends up with a power play? C'mon.

Preds are playing pretty good right now. Vancouver is an enigma in the playoffs. Maybe a more hearty 'nuck follower than I can explain.

I agree icebreaker that it is not hockey. The game is great enough and physical enough without all the deliberate cheap shots and violence. Every time I watch an NHL game I am amazed at the speed, skating, precision passing, and puck control that goes on. I like that it is a collision sport at times as long as it's legal. The NHL needs someone like Roger Goodell of the NFL to shake things up.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Same procedure as every year. "My" Red Wings shine in the regular season and bust in ther playoffs.

Actually even more such the case for my Sharks. Xcept they weren't that good in the regular season this year for once

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nielsa said:
Even you Swedes subscribe to this myth? :confused: Since the 08/09 season, H.Sedin has 48 points in 50 games in the playoffs.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated by saying the Stanley Cup, rather it's in the really important games when it really matters. But that's partly becasue of the other teams defensive play against them. Tonight they provbed me wrong though with an important goal.

And I really like them, it seems like Vancouver isn't the most beloved team i the NHL though, is that correct?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
That Pens-Flyers series has just been crazy. Even though it's 3-1 Flyers, the way both teams have been playing, the series is imo still completely up in the air.

So the Canucks went with Schneider with their season on the line. Got to think they just don't have much faith in Luongo anymore.

Nice comeback by Ottawa to even the series. If they sneak past the Rangers, they could be a sleeper. Alfredsson is a big loss, though.