• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Snow avalanche roars over sandy beaches of the stormy Tampa Bay coast! Woohoo!

What a difference a few years can make! Back in 2016/17, after not qualifying for the playoffs the previous two seasons, the Avalanche finished the season dead last in the entire league winning only 48 points in 82 games (the second worst team that year, Vancouver Canucks, scored 69 points!).

Even worse, they lost in the draft lottery, pushing them down to pick #4 of the 2017 draft. But who did they still select as their highest pick that year? Cale Makar, awarded as the MVP of the playoffs and the best defenceman of the league this year...

That 2016/17 season marked a turnaround in their history and in just a few years, the Avalanche quickly became one of the teams favoured to win the Cup. Yet something was still missing in the playoffs - one year both goaltenders got injured, next year they unbelievably blew the 2-0 lead in the series against Vegas. But this year, they were finally not to be denied.

The Cup is in the hands of a deserving team and nothing against the Bolts, they are undoubtedly a great team, too, but it's only good that also players from another team and their fans get to experience this feeling of victory. Go Avalanche!

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
TB only took two shots on goal in the third period until the final frantic attempts in the final 1:30.

I'm a casual hockey fan, and by no means an expert, but I have always contended that you need to take at least 10 shots on goal per period to keep the D and goalie honest. Even a few slop slap shots aren't a bad thing just to keep the keeper on his blades. Many will argue that that is too many, but TB only had two (I'm not going to count the desperation at the end) in the third, that certainly isn't enough. For reference, in their wins TB had 29 and 33 shots on goal, Colorado had more than 30 every game...so maybe 10 per period isn't so crazy.

Congrats CO!

Pens looked terrible in their pre-season game against Detroit's B-team last night, losing 6-2 and manifesting a truly awful power play. I still think they're a pretty safe bet to make the playoffs lol, and are probably 2nd best team in the Metro after the Hurricanes, but yuk - what a gross game last night!

Pens looked terrible in their pre-season game against Detroit's B-team last night, losing 6-2 and manifesting a truly awful power play. I still think they're a pretty safe bet to make the playoffs lol, and are probably 2nd best team in the Metro after the Hurricanes, but yuk - what a gross game last night!
I see you are prepared to part with your money rather early this year? :p

• Haha
Reactions: joe_papp
Past the first half of the season and the Bruins still in the league of their own. Golden Knights good but don't look like real SC contenders against the top teams from the East. In general the quality seems to be much more on the East this year, so winning the Eastern conference may prove more difficult than winning the Stanley Cup final.

Reactions: jmdirt
Being a little slow on the uptake I only very recently found out Seattle has a new hockey team, for only their second season they've been doing pretty well in the Stanley Cup playoffs so far! Okay, they did lose to Dallas last night and the series is still young, but having beaten the Avs in the first round is nothing short of amazing!

I'm rooting for the Stars to win the Cup, but if Seattle advances I won't be mad.

Go Kraken! (Or Dallas)

Reactions: joe_papp
Last edited:
Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)
Tragic news in the world of ice hockey, it just reminds you that ice hockey can be a beautiful sport, but it can also be a pretty dangerous one.

RIP Adam Johnson :(

It's truly remarkable that this is such a rare occurrence when you think about it. Neck guards have been around a while, but they are almost non-existent at the highest levels, or at least have been. In the aftermath of it, the Penguins (those being his former team from when he briefly reached the NHL) made wearing them compulsory for their AHL and ECHL affiliates, but the NHLPA has to agree to introduce them at the NHL level.

A lot of these Euro leagues, especially the smaller ones (i.e. not the NLA, SHL, KHL or Liiga), have a mixed level due to the nature of hockey as a fringe sport in a lot of those countries (Germany, Austria and Czech Republic also have some decently strong hockey tradition but their leagues are smaller than the above) and so you've got everything from ex-NHLers like Johnson down to ham-and-egg semi-pros with vastly different skating levels on the same lineup. I've seen a lot of criticism of the league for its medical provisions in the aftermath of this - but also others saying that he'd lost so much blood he was virtually unsaveable within just a few seconds, and it is worth noting that Sheffield and Nottingham are two of the best resourced and best-run UK hockey teams; I've also seen plenty of people throwing some awful accusations towards Petgrave as a result. I feel confident it's entirely accidental; he intended to throw a hit but either caught an edge or was thrown off balance by another and made a bad decision, but either way I'd be surprised if he ever plays much hockey again just from guilt or PTSD without adding in potential abuse from the crowd or opponents.

At the end of the day, unfortunately it is a full-contact and violent sport, and also one where every competitor takes to the ice armed with razor sharp slivers of metal attached to their feet. Something like this is always the worst case scenario, but it always seems so unlikely to happen until it does.

It's truly remarkable that this is such a rare occurrence when you think about it. Neck guards have been around a while, but they are almost non-existent at the highest levels, or at least have been. In the aftermath of it, the Penguins (those being his former team from when he briefly reached the NHL) made wearing them compulsory for their AHL and ECHL affiliates, but the NHLPA has to agree to introduce them at the NHL level.

A lot of these Euro leagues, especially the smaller ones (i.e. not the NLA, SHL, KHL or Liiga), have a mixed level due to the nature of hockey as a fringe sport in a lot of those countries (Germany, Austria and Czech Republic also have some decently strong hockey tradition but their leagues are smaller than the above) and so you've got everything from ex-NHLers like Johnson down to ham-and-egg semi-pros with vastly different skating levels on the same lineup. I've seen a lot of criticism of the league for its medical provisions in the aftermath of this - but also others saying that he'd lost so much blood he was virtually unsaveable within just a few seconds, and it is worth noting that Sheffield and Nottingham are two of the best resourced and best-run UK hockey teams; I've also seen plenty of people throwing some awful accusations towards Petgrave as a result. I feel confident it's entirely accidental; he intended to throw a hit but either caught an edge or was thrown off balance by another and made a bad decision, but either way I'd be surprised if he ever plays much hockey again just from guilt or PTSD without adding in potential abuse from the crowd or opponents.

At the end of the day, unfortunately it is a full-contact and violent sport, and also one where every competitor takes to the ice armed with razor sharp slivers of metal attached to their feet. Something like this is always the worst case scenario, but it always seems so unlikely to happen until it does.
Hopefully I'm not totally misremembering things but even after the gruesome Bryan Berard eye incident it took the players quite a while to start wearing visors. (Prior to the Berard incident Jagr was one of the few who actually did.) Nowadays they practically all wear visors.

I understand if players are resistant to adding on yet more gear, but in the rare case their throats make contact with a blade or even a puck or hockey stick wearing a neck guard would only make sense and could potentially make a big difference.

Last edited:
Rough 24 hours for the Philadelphia Flyers. They lose 4-1 on home ice to their hated rivals the Pittsburgh Penguins... and just after going 2-0 down the news breaks that they traded away their #2 prospect (the #1 that they can get their hands on in the near future, since Michkov is playing in Russia) and a player expected to be a cornerstone of their rebuild for an ex-round 1 prospect no longer on an ELC and a round 2 pick - because he refused to report to camp, told them he refused to play for them, doesn't believe that Flyers coach John Tortorella will be good for him, and then ghosted Flyers staff at the World Juniors.

You love to see it.

Rough 24 hours for the Philadelphia Flyers. They lose 4-1 on home ice to their hated rivals the Pittsburgh Penguins... and just after going 2-0 down the news breaks that they traded away their #2 prospect (the #1 that they can get their hands on in the near future, since Michkov is playing in Russia) and a player expected to be a cornerstone of their rebuild for an ex-round 1 prospect no longer on an ELC and a round 2 pick - because he refused to report to camp, told them he refused to play for them, doesn't believe that Flyers coach John Tortorella will be good for him, and then ghosted Flyers staff at the World Juniors.

You love to see it.
These weren't the news I expected to see on this forum...
At least I feel like Michkov can come in a few years.
I feel like Flyers may need to tank for another year or two though. They seem like a definite first round exit so far, if they even make the playoffs.

TRENDING THREADS