• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Damn you RDV4ROUBAIX!

I promised myself awhile ago that I wouldn't even look in this thread. I spend too much time on the forum as it is, and I've got way too much Ol' Skool trivia to throw in here if I'm not careful (must...pace...myself).

But here I am. I was hoping to see Detroit and Boston face each other for the Stanley Cup this year. It's hard to beat a classic, Original Six match-up. Ah well.

Personal hockey trivia:
Grew up with American/Canadian dual citizenship.
Played as kid up through teen years.
Recently discovered that my grandfather was captain of the Queen’s University hockey team in Kingston, Ontario (about a hundred years ago).

The first pro game I went to was '77-'78 season watching Gordie Howe play alongside his two sons Mark & Marty in the WHA.
Gordie led the team in scoring that year. He was 50-years-old! :eek:

Helmets were optional back then, and Gordie definitely wasn't sportin' one.
gordie-howebrodeur.jpg

With respect to RDV4ROUBAIX (because of his origin) and Boeing (because of his recent avatar)...

The other guys on that same team (well, two of them at least!)?

HansonBrothers.jpg

Like I said: Ol' Skool!

220px-NewEnglandWhalers.png

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cool memories. 15 goals in the NHL as a 51 yr old, playing in five decades (6 if you count the 1 IHL shift he played in 1997 as a 70 yr old!), father of the "Gordie Howe hat trick", and one of the toughest SOB's of any era... what an honour to have seen him play.

I think the Sharks are going to have trouble offensively against the Canucks, especially on the Sharks powerplay because of the penalty killing ability of the Canucks. The Sharks powerplay didn't have much sting against Detroit, and Detroits penalty killing in the series vs the Sharks was not nearly as good as Vancouver can be.

We'll see though.... I could be wrongo if Luongo is not on.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The Sharks need to shoot from behind the goal line, it's the easiest way to beat Luongo. This could be a great series. Both teams have star players, both can play a physical game, both have good tenders. The Canucks have better special teams and way more depth in all positions. So I'm picking them, but anything goes in the post-season. Home team bias included free of charge.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
The Sharks need to shoot from behind the goal line, it's the easiest way to beat Luongo.

:D
Legwand's 2 goals (if you can call them that) kept my Preds in the series and then Kesler killed them.

As for the rest of the playoffs, Vancouver/Boston would make a NICE final, but any of the teams can do well.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Awful breaking news. Derek Boogaard dead at age 28. No cause of death released yet. Very sad.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/05/13/sp-obit-boogaard.html

From TSN

Throughout his career, Boogaard sought to make a difference in the communities he played in, taking part in numerous charitable endeavors. Boogaard was a supporter of the Defending the Blue Line Foundation, a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to ensure that children of military members are afforded every opportunity to participate in the great sport of hockey. While with the Rangers, he created "Boogaard's Booguardians," hosting military members and their families at all New York Ranger home games.

In addition, he made multiple appearances with partner organizations of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Media, MSG Entertainment and Fuse "to make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles."

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Tampa Bay looked decent against the Flyers, I mean Capitals, I mean Boston last night, but I still think Boston should be able to pull this series out. That five minute stretch in the 1st was a bit ugly. Can't win a series like that.

Pulling for San Jose against Vancouver.

No way Boston wins that series.

I'm surprised at the lack of appreciation afforded the Tampa's. They've got a ton of firepower, experience, and great goaltending; yet everyone seems to write them off.

Boston's got what--Kaberle? What a joke. Speaking as a Leaf fan, I'm glad Brian Burke salvaged some dignity by off-loading an obviously overrated player.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
No way Boston wins that series.

I'm surprised at the lack of appreciation afforded the Tampa's. They've got a ton of firepower, experience, and great goaltending; yet everyone seems to write them off.

Boston's got what--Kaberle? What a joke. Speaking as a Leaf fan, I'm glad Brian Burke salvaged some dignity by off-loading an obviously overrated player.
Written like a true Leafs fan, ignoring the players who have never worn the blue and white! That other guy on defence, tall guy.... Zdeno something. He's pretty good. A goalie who will win the Vezina this year, skilled power forwards... they've got some assets. But that was a nice assist that Kaberle picked up on Tampa's second goal in game 1. I agree he's no all star and it's funny how the power play has sucked since he came on board.

Speaking of Burke's dignity, Seguin looked pretty good in his first playoff game!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Game 2 Eastern Conference Finals
Bruins-6 ... Lightning-5

Now THAT was a hockey game!

I've long maintained that there is NOTHING like post-season NHL.
Every year they prove me right. :)

Non. Stop. Action.

Granville57 said:
Game 2 Eastern Conference Finals
Bruins-6 ... Lightning-5

Now THAT was a hockey game!

I've long maintained that there is NOTHING like post-season NHL.
Every year they prove me right. :)

Non. Stop. Action.

...and NHL regular season ain't too bad either. I mean, I love the NFL and I put
NFL > NHL in some respects. But what I like about NHL, besides the fact it is constantly moving, is there are NO mambie-pambies in the NHL. NFL... you'll see mambie-pambie QBs, PKs, and even some at WR (tho not all are like that of course). But in the NHL there are no mambie-pambies. Everyone has nuts of steel. :D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
San Jose could not have chosen a worse reaction to the Bieksa-Marleau fight. When your star player picks a fight (even when he takes a beating), it's supposed to be a rallying point for your team. At least that's what Marleau intended. Instead they reacted like amateurs and handed the Canucks' power play more opportunities to sink the knife. Bean Eager was the Canucks MVP in the third period, too bad for the Sharks that he was on their team!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
At this point I'm just enjoying the games...seems my picks just have not panned out :( I will say however, I would like a TB vs. Vancouver final...oops maybe I just jinxed it?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Derek Boogaard's death has been attributed to a mixture of alcohol and oxycodone, a medication commonly prescribed for pain but one also often abused for recreational purposes. Overdosing when mixed with alcohol is not uncommon. However it happened, it's just very sad to see this man die.

Sad but for for Boogaard.

pedaling squares said:
San Jose could not have chosen a worse reaction to the Bieksa-Marleau fight. When your star player picks a fight (even when he takes a beating), it's supposed to be a rallying point for your team. At least that's what Marleau intended. Instead they reacted like amateurs and handed the Canucks' power play more opportunities to sink the knife. Bean Eager was the Canucks MVP in the third period, too bad for the Sharks that he was on their team!

It's not completely over yet for Tampa and San Jose, but it's starting to look more like a Boston vs Vancouver final.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Tonight's game hasn't even started and I'm loving it. 5000 Canucks fans loudly singing 'Oh Canada' followed by 13000 Sharks fans belting out the 'Star Spangled Banner'. Love the atmosphere!

TRENDING THREADS