• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
pedaling squares said:
Tonight's game hasn't even started and I'm loving it. 5000 Canucks fans loudly singing 'Oh Canada' followed by 13000 Sharks fans belting out the 'Star Spangled Banner'. Love the atmosphere!

Are they still singing? 3 - 0 Sharks ! :( 3rd Period can they get back in the Game?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Oh well, the 'nucks will take some confidence from those last two goals and will be better on Sunday. Damn afternoon games... I hate that they accommodate US networks in this way. Less than 40 hours for the players to recover from those hits and blocked shots. Noon starts are for basketball.

180mmCrank said:
The Canucks finished on top in my view. I can't see Sharks winning this series but it's got a ways to go yet.

true...

Sunday's results: Canucks 4, Sharks 2.
Series lead: Canucks 3, Sharks 1.

Penalties, penalties, penalties. SJ gives up three 5-on-3 power play goals. SJ can't win playing like that. Take away those 3 and it's a different game, maybe not enough to change the final score though. Give the 'nucks credit for playing hard... there were some good pops going on... and playing good heady game by not losing focus early on.

I'm pretty bummed by the SJ-Van series, as I want the Sharks, but you're right, when you end up in a lot of 5-3 power plays, something has to give.

Boston hasn't played their best, but I really think they should finish off TB, at least I hope so.

A Vancouver-Boston series would theoretically set up the team with arguably the best offense, against the team with arguably the best defense.

icebreaker said:
In other news:The Memorial Cup tournament starts tonight.

There have been some very good Memorial Cups through the years. The best junior players on the planet. I thought Portland was in it having made the finals of the WHL, but I guess not. I'm going to cheer for Kootenay. They are from the WHL and probably the smallest market in all of hockey.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Nothing like having the home team in the finals! Can't wait for them to start. I'd prefer to see Tampa Bay in the final and stack those two great offences against each other. But it's always good to see an Original Six team in the final too. Considering that I've hated Boston for as long as I've liked the Canucks that would be a fun one to watch.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
icebreaker said:
The Memorial Cup tournament starts, the champions of each of the leagues that make up the CHL (the premier league in junior hockey).

WHL - The Kootenay Ice
v.
OHL - The Owen Sound Attack
Spent many summers as a kid in Owen Sound.
Some great memories.

------------------

Crazy 3rd period tonight between Bruins & Lightning.
What's better than Game 7 Conference finals? Friday is going to be high octane!

pedaling squares said:
Nothing like having the home team in the finals! Can't wait for them to start. I'd prefer to see Tampa Bay in the final and stack those two great offences against each other. But it's always good to see an Original Six team in the final too. Considering that I've hated Boston for as long as I've liked the Canucks that would be a fun one to watch.

Well you got your wish on a Boston-Canuck finals.

Wow, what a hockey game 7 in the BB-TBL series! Tampa's goalie Roloson played an outstanding game even tho he was scored on once. But there was nothing he could have done about that lone goal. It was a perfect play by Boston, but was also much more of a defensive breakdown than mistake by the goalie. As fast paced as the game was, I was surprised there were no power plays. TB's Stamkos proved again that there are no mambie-pambies in the NHL after taking a hard shot to the face, and then returned 5 minutes or so later.

This should be a fun finals, and I too am hoping for the 'nucks to take home the trophy.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well you got your wish on a Boston-Canuck finals.

Wow, what a hockey game 7 in the BB-TBL series! Tampa's goalie Roloson played an outstanding game even tho he was scored on once. But there was nothing he could have done about that lone goal. It was a perfect play by Boston, but was also much more of a defensive breakdown than mistake by the goalie. As fast paced as the game was, I was surprised there were no power plays. TB's Stamkos proved again that there are no mambie-pambies in the NHL after taking a hard shot to the face, and then returned 5 minutes or so later.

This should be a fun finals, and I too am hoping for the 'nucks to take home the trophy.

'Twas quite a game. Thomas and Roloson played great, and Thomas also gave a great interview at the end.

4 Things I Love About the NHL Playoffs:
1) Beards
2) Game 7's
3) Post-Series Handshakes (probably my favorite)
4) Not Touching the Conference Trophy!

As for Stamkos' face, if I were a hockey player, I'd be asking for one of those masks from the get-go. Man those guys are tough.

Lets hope for 7 more great games!!! (Go Canucks!!)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That was an awesome game. That third period hardly had any stoppage of play!
Bruins goal couldn't have been more perfectly choreographed. Not the most dramatic goal, but it was poetry in motion.

OK kids, it's that time:

What's your most memorable Stanley Cup Finals?

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

Well, I don't remember much pre-lockout (wasn't really into the sport, and I was only 12 to 13), so for me it was 2 years ago when the Penguins beat the Red Wings in 7 after losing to them the year before.

Of course I'm a young whippersnapper so I'm sure my short term memory can be bested! :D

Granville57 said:
That was an awesome game. That third period hardly had any stoppage of play!
Bruins goal couldn't have been more perfectly choreographed. Not the most dramatic goal, but it was poetry in motion.

OK kids, it's that time:

+1... absolute poetry on that goal.

Most memorable Cup finals? Last year when the Blackhawks won it.

Why? I have an officemate at work who's from Pittsburgh. I hear far too much about Pitt, but he's good guy anyway. Well, when Toews jumped from Pitt to play for another team a couple years ago (Philly I think it was), I never heard the end of it when Philly got beat, depriving Toews a Stanley Cup win. So last year, I kept hearing the same thing. So I was glad when Chicago won, as that was the end of my officemates rants.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Two weeks later than when political boys said, but we have a team in the Peg
at long last. The name hasn't been announced yet. GO JETS. :D:D:D

ksmith said:
Two weeks later than when political boys said, but we have a team in the Peg
at long last. The name hasn't been announced yet. GO JETS. :D:D:D

As a native of Winnipeg, I couldn't be happier for the city. If anyone deserves an NHL team, it's Winnipeg. It always broke my heart a little to see the Coyotes.

But please, for the love of god, keep the original name. Otherwise the deal's off. Send them back to Barbados, or wherever the hell they came from.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

It's very hard for me to name just one!
Way too many to choose from.

Two consectutive years stand out for me though, in terms of how much I had invested emotionally in the series. :D
1993 & 1994

'93 was the LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens.
I REALLY wanted to see Gretzky pull-off his attempt at being the first player to captain two different teams to the Championship. Plus, I believe that King's coach Barry Melrose (mullet and all) was attempting to become the youngest coach to ever win The Cup. IIRC, Montreal was undefeated at home that post-season and appeared to be the strong favorite, especially with the seemingly unbeatable Patrick Roy in goal.

The Kings came into town with Gretzky and Luc Robitaille firing on all cylinders (63 reg season goals for Luc!). Game one: BAM! Kings win!

Game Two: Kings had a one goal lead late into the 3rd period. If they could return home with a 2-0 series lead, it would've been huge. But...
The Canadiens challenged the legality of tough-guy (no joke, you didn't mess around with him) Marty McSorely's stick. Sure enough, the refs brought out that little measuring device and the blade of his stick was deemed to be just a bit over the limit (width or curve, I forget). That changed the entire series. Two minute penalty against the Kings. Canadiens pull Roy for the man advantage, and after and insane flurry of attacks against King's goalie Kelly Hrudey (no stranger to high-stakes drama! *) they tie the game, sending it into overtime. Within the first minute of OT the Canadiens score and never look back.

The next two games in LA would also have to go to OT before being decided—such intense hockey—but Montreal would win them both before returning home to secure The Cup. Like all Stanley Cups, that one was extremely hard fought.

Then Montreal went ablaze with riots! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5iJQDZeElw
--------------------------------

New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks in 7 games to win the Stanley Cup for the first time in 54 years.
A truly epic series. Mark Messier would achieve what Gretzky had hoped to do the previous year by becoming the first NHL player to captain two different teams to Stanley Cup glory.

I remember a post-game interview with Messier where he said that before game seven, coach Mike Keenan gave "the greatest motivational speech" he had ever heard.

Great, great drama.

---------------------------------
* Hrudey was the Islanders' goaltender in 1987 when they defeated the Washington Capitals in the longest game in club history, a four-overtime Game 7 thriller known as the "Easter Epic", which was won on a goal by Pat LaFontaine after 68:47 of overtime. Hrudey made 73 saves (a playoff record) in a 3–2 Islander victory that ended just before 2am on Easter morning. :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZmLSFBGpEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPGSu7HOf4

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am torn by large pangs of indifference towards this edition of the Stanley Cup Final. I had hoped for a Tampa Bay-San Jose final, but sadly the hockey gods favoured the alma mater of ersatz coach and xenophobic troglodyte Don Cherry, Boston, and well, Vancouver. But since I am a bit of a quasi-traditionalist (bring back the days of flimsy Jofa helmets and goalie pads that weren't the size of an Ikea mattress sawed in half) I suppose I'll cheer for the Bruins, grudgingly.

I'm happy that Winnipeg has a team again. 'My Winnipeg', a sort of biographical fantasy by Guy Maddin, has some funny/strange/touching scenes about the loss of the old stadium in Winnipeg. And yes, they really should be called the Jets, anything else would be heresy.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Oh and as for favourite Stanley Cup Finals, I'm probably in the minority by saying I found the 95 Detroit-New Jersey finals enjoyable. It was a sweep, so no drama, but the significance it had on hockey could be felt for over 15 years, at least.

Reason One: The success of the Devils ushered in a new era of defence first hockey. Hate it if you will, and I'm not the biggest of fans, but give Jacques Lemaire credit for knowing what it took to succeed with the players he had at his disposal.

Reason Two: Claude Lemieux was a man possessed, delivering the timely hit and scoring clutch goals. Plus, he was a nasty **** when it mattered. Few Conn Smythe winners are crafted in the Claude Lemieux mold.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well the peg sold the the 13000 season tickets, everything is looking good up here.

Hows the tickets going in Bettmans hockey heartland of Phoenix?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Stanley Cup Game 2

OK, WTF kind of goal was that to end Game 2, eleven seconds into overtime?!?! :eek:

Burrows single-handedly smokes Thomas out of his net, and then glides right around Chara, the "monster on skates"?

I'd say on that single play alone, Vancouver deserves to take the series and The Cup. That was, um...very...conclusive.

NHL post-seaon: Don't blink!

Granville57 said:
OK, WTF kind of goal was that to end Game 2, eleven seconds into overtime?!?! :eek:

Burrows single-handedly smokes Thomas out of his net, and then glides right around Chara, the "monster on skates"?

I'd say on that single play alone, Vancouver deserves to take the series and The Cup. That was, um...very...conclusive.

NHL post-seaon: Don't blink!

LOL, don't blink. I'm pulling for the 'nucks, but to be honest I felt a little bad for Boston because of how that OT goal was scored. While Chara is a monster, he's a slow monster... more like a Wookie, especially vs the much quicker forward Burrows. But the REAL reason why Boston lost it in OT has more to do with the way Thomas the goalie was way out of position. He was so far out of postion I'd almost say he appears to be a little arrogant. Being a 'nuck fan I shouldn't let Boston in on this secret, but Thomas needs to learn to be more patient like Luongo. Boston might have to make a goalie change to win this, but I dont' know how much experience the much younger goalies Rask and Khudobin have (ages of both about 25) or where their skill level is at. Meh, it's probably premature to pull Thomas, who normally is a very good goalie.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
LOL, don't blink. I'm pulling for the 'nucks, but to be honest I felt a little bad for Boston because of how that OT goal was scored. While Chara is a monster, he's a slow monster... more like a Wookie, especially vs the much quicker forward Burrows. But the REAL reason why Boston lost it in OT has more to do with the way Thomas the goalie was way out of position. He was so far out of postion I'd almost say he appears to be a little arrogant. Being a 'nuck fan I shouldn't let Boston in on this secret, but Thomas needs to learn to be more patient like Luongo. Boston might have to make a goalie change to win this, but I dont' know how much experience the much younger goalies Rask and Khudobin have (ages of both about 25) or where their skill level is at. Meh, it's probably premature to pull Thomas, who normally is a very good goalie.

That was my first reaction as well, what the heck was Thomas thinking about??? I thought it was cool how Burrows collected the rebound off the end boards before tucking it in. Canucks in five say I.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know what that strangulated choking noise coming from the canucks changing room is.....oh dear outscored 12-1 in 2 games by the Broad Street Bullies Lite....worrying!

TRENDING THREADS