• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
I think the Leafs are for real this year. I may be biased.

Edmonton is a big surprise so far - only 2 losses in 11 games. Some talented kids up there, but who'd have thought Khabibulin would be goalie of the month? Overall, still think the Caps are going to be the team to beat, even if Ovechkin still can't get it going. Also depends on how Vokoun plays. Might be time to start considering trading Semin - all he can do is score and he's not doing that.

Also still think Vancouver will be the team to beat in the west, but they have to make a decision about Luongo soon - I think they've lost all confidence in him and anyway he might be better off getting a fresh start elsewhere, maybe in a market where there's less pressure. But moving that contract is going to be a problem.

Biggest surprise to me though is how many good teams are off to mediocre-to-bad starts - Boston, Montreal, Nashville, Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose.

Khabibulin must be getting near the end of his contract - that guy is dynamite whenever he's looking for a contract and just awful in the first couple of years of new contracts.

Semin - you forgot a couple of other things he's good at: floating, whining, and disrupting a dressing room through his selfish attitude!

Luongo - I really hope this guy comes through and shuts up all those Canucks fans who cry for his head. This guy is an amazing talent. Not sure about his mental strength, but man is ever something when he's on his game.

Edmonton is going to be one of those teams you can't take your eyes off when those kids have 2-3 more years experience.

As much as I love to hate the Leafs, they are becoming pretty fun to watch.

Yeah, I like the Penguins. Also the Blackhawks, and pretty much any of those teams you all mentioned.

Luongo, he is fun to watch as you said when he is on. And then he is amazing. But when he is not on it can get ugly. Still I like the 'Nucks.

When it comes to hockey tho, any hockey game beats the NBA... especially right now.
18821.gif

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Semin - you forgot a couple of other things he's good at: floating, whining, and disrupting a dressing room through his selfish attitude!
I did forget those :) Remember reading recently one of the ex-Caps, might have been Bradley, saying that Semin has more talent than Ovechkin but just doesn't have the drive. Those two must drive Boudreau crazy.

Luongo - I really hope this guy comes through and shuts up all those Canucks fans who cry for his head. This guy is an amazing talent. Not sure about his mental strength, but man is ever something when he's on his game.
Best in the world when he's on his game, but that seems to be fewer and farther between these days - I think the Cup finals last year put a big dent in his confidence.

Edmonton is going to be one of those teams you can't take your eyes off when those kids have 2-3 more years experience.
If they're able to hold on to them. Nugent-Hopkins is a lock, he's not going anywhere for a very long time, but the Oilers may not be able to pay all of N-H, Eberle, Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, when time comes that they're all looking for the big contract. The flip side of the salary cap, I suppose.

As much as I love to hate the Leafs, they are becoming pretty fun to watch.
Burke's done a great job. He took a lot of heat for the Kessel trade - I think at one point even he said the Bruins won that trade - but I think he's going to have the last laugh. Kessel's been around for so long that it's easy to forget he's only 24 years old.

btw when was the last time Toronto was 1st in the east and Edmonton 1st in the west? Maybe sometime in the '80s.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
How about the Flyers' reaction to the Lightening's neutral zone trap? One team refusing to move the puck and the other team just standing there in their 1-3-1 formation... imagine paying to see that stalemate. It was hard enough to watch on telly for free. It will be interesting to see what will happen.The league won't want to make a new rule to deal with two coaches banging heads and matching strategies, but they also know that this will kill fan support if it becomes routine. Good for Peter Laviolette for having his team make a stand against the trap. I hope others take up where he left off and force teams to forecheck instead of squeezing opponents into the trap.

Well, the officials called a face off, and I imagine next time we see it, they'll make the call sooner. Though I agree the league may find a way to enforce rule 63.1 (delaying the game) on the team with the puck, or rule 72.1 (refusing to play the puck) on the defensive team, though I think coaches may throw a fit with this.*
Here's the clip for those who wish to see what we're talking about.

*No, I don't know these rules! I had to look them up!

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, the officials called a face off, and I imagine next time we see it, they'll make the call sooner. Though I agree the league may find a way to enforce rule 63.1 (delaying the game) on the team with the puck, or rule 72.1 (refusing to play the puck) on the defensive team, though I think coaches may throw a fit with this.*
Here's the clip for those who wish to see what we're talking about.

*No, I don't know these rules! I had to look them up!
I dunno, seems pretty obvious delay of game to me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Delay of game has always been used for players deliberately covering up the puck so it cannot be played, or shooting it out of bounds when in their defensive zone. It has never been used when a player keeps the puck in the open and just does not move with it. That's why this is creating such a stir, the league is reluctant to create new rules or have existing rules interpreted differently due what is essentially a coaching tactic within the rules. Especially as the fans hate the 1-3-1 system that Tampa uses and this rule would reinforce that system.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The Sabres are feeling pretty bad about their lack of reaction to the Lucic hit on Ryan Miller. Granted, they didn't have anyone on the ice who could handle Lucic let alone Chara, but you have to make a stand when a guy deliberately hits your goaltender and team MVP in the head. The whole league just saw Buffalo as an easy mark and they had better elevate their team toughness right away because the other teams will try to bully them if they don't push back. I'll be surprised if Lucic isn't suspended for that hit - it fits the criteria of targeting the head, vulnerable opponent, no attempt to disengage, etc.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Delay of game has always been used for players deliberately covering up the puck so it cannot be played, or shooting it out of bounds when in their defensive zone. It has never been used when a player keeps the puck in the open and just does not move with it. That's why this is creating such a stir, the league is reluctant to create new rules or have existing rules interpreted differently due what is essentially a coaching tactic within the rules. Especially as the fans hate the 1-3-1 system that Tampa uses and this rule would reinforce that system.
I dunno:

63.1 Delaying the Game – A player or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

I don't see how that doesn't fit into "delaying the game in any manner".

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Oh it fits within the definition of the rule, without doubt. It's just that the officials have never applied that rule for a lack of forward movement.

No suspension for Lucic. Shanahan had a hearing by phone and asked Lucic some questions about when he realized the collision was imminent, whether he had time to avoid it, etc. I respect Shanahan, but come on - what does he think the guy is going to say and does he not realize that Lucic would have been coached prior to the call?!

Lucic didn't deserve to be suspended.

Miller made himself fair game by coming out to play the puck. Sure, he got steamrolled; but the hit was clean. Lucic didn't extend his elbows or aim for Miller's head. Seems to me that Miller studpily ducked, thereby putting his head directly in line with Lucic's shoulder.

The reaction of number 44 from the Sabres in the immediate aftermath is hilarious. He approached Lucic hesitantly and looked around with pleading eyes, as if to say, "Someone help me. Please!"

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
We'll have to agree to disagree on that call. I think the director of player safety blew an opportunity to address player (goalie) safety. I thought that this hit was outside the rules in terms of charging, incidental vs intentional contact with the goalie, and targeting the head. The Bruins got a boost out of not being challenged by the Sabres, now the rest of the league gets an idea that charging the goalie outside of the crease is only going to get a two minute penalty.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Lucic didn't deserve to be suspended.

Miller made himself fair game by coming out to play the puck. Sure, he got steamrolled; but the hit was clean. Lucic didn't extend his elbows or aim for Miller's head. Seems to me that Miller studpily ducked, thereby putting his head directly in line with Lucic's shoulder.

The reaction of number 44 from the Sabres in the immediate aftermath is hilarious. He approached Lucic hesitantly and looked around with pleading eyes, as if to say, "Someone help me. Please!"
I don't think it was a clean hit at all - a straight forearm with full extension to Miller's head. There's been far worse of course but Lucic should've been suspended a couple of games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsYDQN9rhiw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't think it was too bad a hit, seen worse but the Sabres themselves should be shot for not doing something about it. Running the goalie is something a team needs to deal with not the discipline guys unless its a really bad hit.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
times are tough in the fantasy hockey... iginla and koivu have been bad... I had four players get injured at the start of the last week, kovalchuk still isnt back... and every day crosbys return is postponed... my goalies have been a disaster aswell... pavelec is on crazy form one game great then 5 or so terrible... same with ward... at least bryzaglov seems to have recovered :S.. trying to trade ward for giroux though.

VeloCity said:
I don't think it was a clean hit at all - a straight forearm with full extension to Miller's head. There's been far worse of course but Lucic should've been suspended a couple of games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsYDQN9rhiw

Funny how people see and interpret things.

I see no forearm extension at all. Lucic merely ran full-speed into a player who ducked at the last second. The forearm extension you see is after the hit, where Lucic instinctually reaches out after plowing throw a wall -- i.e. Miller. If you watch closely, you'll see that he does not extend his arms and aim for the head. (Well, at least I think that's what you'll see)

Regardless, my opinion is definitely in the minority. Seems every time I've open the sports section, some columnist is ranting and raving over the egregious violation of Miller's rights. Since when did the rules regarding bodychecking goalies who play the puck change?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Funny how people see and interpret things.

I see no forearm extension at all. Lucic merely ran full-speed into a player who ducked at the last second. The forearm extension you see is after the hit, where Lucic instinctually reaches out after plowing throw a wall -- i.e. Miller. If you watch closely, you'll see that he does not extend his arms and aim for the head. (Well, at least I think that's what you'll see)

Regardless, my opinion is definitely in the minority. Seems every time I've open the sports section, some columnist is ranting and raving over the egregious violation of Miller's rights. Since when did the rules regarding bodychecking goalies who play the puck change?
It wasn't as egregious as a straight elbow to the head or anything but it was still a dirty hit imo - goalies are off-limits, outside of the crease or not. Lucic knows that but ignored the puck and tried to take Miller out anyway. And Miller didn't duck at the last second - he played the puck and was straightening up and turning his shoulder/back to absorb the blow when Lucic hit him.

Kerry Fraser's take is interesting:

http://tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=380468

I lost Fraser when he referrred to Brendan Shanahan as "Shanny."

The tendency for grown men in hockey to refer to each other as "Shanny" and "Burkie" drives me bats. These people sound like pre-pubescent teens sitting in a tree-fort, flipping through pages of Playboy magazine.

But I digress.

Consensus is to protect the goalie. Suspend the mo-fo.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
The tendency for grown men in hockey to refer to each other as "Shanny" and "Burkie" drives me bats. These people sound like pre-pubescent teens sitting in a tree-fort, flipping through pages of Playboy magazine.
Have you ever seen that HBO series Road to the Winter Classic? Every single player has a "y" or "ie" added to their name - like Ovechkin is "Ovie". The series is great but that just drove me nuts.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the general rule of thumb is to add a 'y' to the first syllable of the surname. Unless the surname ends in 'y', in which case you add the 's' sound. So Shanahan is Shanny, Gretzky is Gretz, etc. Burrows is just Burr, because Burry would sound well, you know. A hyphenated surname threw the Oilers for a loop, so Nugent-Hopkins got a new one - The Nuge. Most of them are pretty silly, but Irish names like Shanahan and Sullivan have always been Shanny and Sully in or out of hockey so that one doesn't seem weird at all.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well palmerq, Sid comes back on Monday night so hopefully for our viewing pleasure and your fantasy league he will remain healthy and play like the Crosby of 2010. Coming back against the Islanders though, strange move considering the bad blood between those two teams in the past two years.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Well palmerq, Sid comes back on Monday night so hopefully for our viewing pleasure and your fantasy league he will remain healthy and play like the Crosby of 2010. Coming back against the Islanders though, strange move considering the bad blood between those two teams in the past two years.

aha brilliant, i cant activate him today though, i willsee how he does and get him on for the next game

TRENDING THREADS