• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I expect the Canucks to make every effort to move Luongo and keep Schneider. Both are excellent goalies. Schneider is far younger, will be cheaper even with the huge raise in his next contract, and doesn't carry the baggage of being blamed for every loss or goal against as Luongo does. Luongo has a looooong contract and a no-trade clause. His wife is from Florida and both Florida teams need a top goalie, especially Tampa Bay. Schneider would bring back more assets in a trade, but retaining the younger and probably better goalie for less money would be the return on a Luongo trade.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
I just think(even as an opponent to luongos contract) it is a bit of a low blow to the guy who has been a very good goalie to just drop him for the most important game of the series especially after he played well... Luongo was in goals for canadas gold winning game in the olympics he is a big game player...

I agree. You know it's kinda the same situation as in Boston (especially if they lost to Washington, which I really hope for, go caps go). Do they keep Thomas or Rask? I don't see them keeping both past this season. Does Vancouver keep Luongo who hasn't taken them to promiseland, or go with the young blood.

Anyway - nice to see Bryz is finally out of that little slump he was in, Philly's gonna be pretty good from now on I think.

And one more time - go Caps, go!!!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
penguins out... 5-1 win for phillidelphia, a low scoring game for them :S.. Penguins had a goal disallowed near the end at 4-1 might have made it interesting if the let one go..

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
I agree. You know it's kinda the same situation as in Boston (especially if they lost to Washington, which I really hope for, go caps go). Do they keep Thomas or Rask? I don't see them keeping both past this season. Does Vancouver keep Luongo who hasn't taken them to promiseland, or go with the young blood.
Rask is an ufa this summer, I think - don't think there's any chance the Bruins will let him walk. What that means for Thomas who knows, but Rask is their future.

I have zero sympathy for Van or Bos or any other team with those sorts of goalie issues, considering the Leafs traded Rask to Bos for Andrew Raycroft because Leafs management deemed Justin Pogge our goalie of the future, a guy who played all of 7 games for the Leafs before being dealt to Anaheim for a conditional draft choice and has not played in the NHL since. So just shutup :)

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
I have zero sympathy for Van or Bos or any other team with those sorts of goalie issues, considering the Leafs traded Rask to Bos for Andrew Raycroft because Leafs management deemed Justin Pogge our goalie of the future, a guy who played all of 7 games for the Leafs before being dealt to Anaheim for a conditional draft choice and has not played in the NHL since. So just shutup :)

Don't have to tell me. All the guys at our Canadian office are Leafs fans, so when I'm here all I hear is *****ing about the leafs for the duration of the season :D

However Rask-Raycroft deal usually get muffled by the Kessel deal :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Is vokoun washingtons goalie? I see has isnt playing again, is the fellow injured? I am starting my scouting for fantasy hockey early, I always struggle with the goalies... I see vokoun is a free agent at the end of the season( I think) will he be back next year?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
Is vokoun washingtons goalie? I see has isnt playing again, is the fellow injured? I am starting my scouting for fantasy hockey early, I always struggle with the goalies... I see vokoun is a free agent at the end of the season( I think) will he be back next year?

Vokoun and Neuverth(spelling) are both injured, yes. And I don't see Vokoun staying in Washington, the way this Holtby kid is playing. Plus Neuverth is very young and decent too

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
aha, holtby might be good later signing then, I shall take note of this, I have seen (in the 3 years of me playing fantasy hockey) neuvirth getting quite a few chances and never establishing himself so I dont have great faith in him..
I wonder where vokoun will end up, he could be a good bargain for someone I think I read his contract at washington is only 1.5 million.. back to florida with him :S

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
I wonder where vokoun will end up, he could be a good bargain for someone I think I read his contract at washington is only 1.5 million.. back to florida with him :S

Toronto :D

Does your fantasy pool have a separate category for rookies? I could give you a good hint on which one (I think, but I'm 90% sure) will have the best season next year (while we're on the Washington topic anyway :D)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
plooton said:
Root for Flyers (cos our Czech star Jágr plays there), hope tomorrow we definitely beat out Pittsburgh with that spoiled crying baby captain. I bet Philly, Boston or Rangers for the Cup this year.

A little bit later, but a while ago this happened so:D

146868.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Crosby was a bit of a git this series, I was hoping philidelphia would win :S

Canucks lose, poor performance from them again, top seed v lowest seed and out shoot by a lot again :S what a shame. Maybe wal mart will give me money back for my canucks t shirt i bought today :S

Mon the coyotes now, my next favourite team

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
aha, holtby might be good later signing then, I shall take note of this, I have seen (in the 3 years of me playing fantasy hockey) neuvirth getting quite a few chances and never establishing himself so I dont have great faith in him..
Vokoun may be done - he has a "pretty severe tear" in his groin and for a goalie, that's a tough injury to come back from. Vokoun was average at best all season and cant see too many teams rushing to sign a 35 year old with average numbers and a type of injury that can be easily re-aggravated. Too much risk there.

palmerq said:
Crosby was a bit of a git this series, I was hoping philidelphia would win :S

Canucks lose, poor performance from them again, top seed v lowest seed and out shoot by a lot again :S what a shame. Maybe wal mart will give me money back for my canucks t shirt i bought today :S

Mon the coyotes now, my next favourite team

Glad Philly finally ended the Pens season.

The 'nucks got schooled. They are going to have to retool that team. LA simply outskated them at times. Everyone's saying Luongo needs to go, but they have other issues besides who's in goal.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The NLL at it´s best. Another year, another No.1 to No.8 loss. They either change the rules or skip the regular season. For what to give any effort in the RS if it means nothing?

This is a critic, no bashing at hockey. I like the sport, but too much luck involved...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Not luck. Parity. You don't make the top 8 unless you are a very good team. You often find that the #8 team had an equal or better record over the last 25 games of the regular season as the #1 team. Plus the usual twists of fate, an injury to one key player can put a #1 team and a #8 team on even ground. Vancouver and Los Angeles played over 300 minutes in this series. The better team won, not the luckier team.

Canucks, Canucks, Canucks :(

What a shambles?! It's taken me a day to even want to think about this.

There are a few issues ... to say the least.

1. I don't think they ever contemplated not having both Sedins fit to play. If they had they would have not traded Cody Hodgeson - he is a very skillful player and could have played with Hendrick while Daniel was out with concussion.

2. BUT I think the big issue is that they just play too damn safe ... how many times did the puck bobble out towards the blue line begging to slapped back in on Quick but the defensmen were already backing way back into their own end. Much of the success the Canucks had in the regular season was through the defense pinching in and getting into the play.

I could go on but I can't be bothered. I will just go back to consoling my 6 year old son who can't understand why his team lost so badly.

I was in Rogers Arena the night before (Saturday) watching Coldplay one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen - I am glad I saw that and didnt buy a ticket for the Sunday night instead!

O well they have a at least one more year before the team gets blown up :)

T

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
First sign of the end of Luongo in Vancouver?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394097

"I'll waive my no-trade clause if asked". But a 33-year-old goalie with 9 years still on his contract? Going to be very tough to find a team willing to take that on. My guess would be that, if they do try to move him, Vancouver can't expect to get full value in return.

TRENDING THREADS