• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hopes for the Giro

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
- A strong Easterly wind for the opening weekend.
- Other teams force Giant to do most of the work on the flat stages, so Kittel isn't guaranteed a perfect leadout.
- Everybody to forget that there's an ITT the next day and race Stage 11 properly.

Michael Matthews to ace and win one sprint stage against Greipel/ Kittel.
Evans to win :) as well as smash the long ITT.
Hansen to continue his GT streak.

Kennaugh to not have to ride for Cataldo/ the others
EBH to go stage hunting.
Uran to podium
GC gains made on a descent
Kelderman to top 10

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My hopes have grown after Evans' performance at Trentino.
I wish to see as many riders in the battle for the overall as it's possible.
...And I hope there won't be any cancellations and shortenings.

greenedge said:
Michael Matthews to ace and win one sprint stage against Greipel/ Kittel.
Evans to win :) as well as smash the long ITT.
Hansen to continue his GT streak.

Kennaugh to not have to ride for Cataldo/ the others

EBH to go stage hunting.
Uran to podium
GC gains made on a descent
Kelderman to top 10
Should be a given shouldn't it? I mean, why would they make him ride for Cataldo? Is Cataldo the official captain of the team?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Samson777 said:
Should be a given shouldn't it? I mean, why would they make him ride for Cataldo? Is Cataldo the official captain of the team?

I doubt the Sky team for the Giro has any 'official' leader. I think they'll all just go in together and see who goes best.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
No it wouln't.

Valverde.

He shouldn't have even been racing in many of his big victories anyway. I find his record mostly irrelevant anyway when he has shiftily moved around the system when he should have been not racing.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Cadel to prove all the doubters wrong that his GT contending days are over.

For the pre-race hype around Quintana to never reach its crescendo following the tour's completion

Netserk said:
No it wouln't.

Valverde.

Evans has got a much better GT record than Valverde and in the short stage races they have both done well. Valverde much better in the one day races. Evans has the worlds win, Valverde has two placings. Hard to separate them I think. For me the Worlds and three Tour podiums including a win possibly give the edge to Evans.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Evans has got a much better GT record than Valverde and in the short stage races they have both done well. Valverde much better in the one day races. Evans has the worlds win, Valverde has two placings. Hard to separate them I think. For me the Worlds and three Tour podiums including a win possibly give the edge to Evans.

Ha ha Evans is double Valverde. Who cares what Valverde has won in 1day races Cadel has two things AV has not got and that is Valverde's favourite races the Worlds and TDF. Cadel has podiumed all 3 GT's while Valverde is a 1 trick pony on home roads. Just to be clear im not dissing Valverde he is a huge rider and champion.

I just feel no matter how good his carear is in a wierd way he underachieved. Has he even ever took part in the Giro? I'ts so predictable watching him fail every Tour lol. Why not Ardennes and Giro/Vuelta and actually have a realistic chance of winning, as if he done Giro their would be no Quintana and Valverde would imo be favourite as he is better than Evans currently and Purito their is doubts with injury.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Tournesol said:
All i hope for is Purito finally wins a GT.

Agree their i love Nairo but 1 more year wont hurt to wait, although atleast if he wins will see no more Valverde wants to podium the TDF in future which we hear every year.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Fabio Aru to top 5 and be the next Italian Giro winner who as not won it yet. He will dominate the Giro imo in future. I feel he will be similar to most Italian GT riders who win the Giro where they never do much in the TDF.