• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He should go fulllTT mode during the climb, not reacting to Yates and Vine accelarations, then sprinting full gas the last 300 meters or so and try to comeback there or in the descent. In fact he can use the biker Milan Vader to pace him for a while, he was 10th at the top of Nettle Hill today.
Good result for Milan Vader today (not so much for Dennis, obviously). Vader had a terrible crash in Pais Vasco last year, was in an induced coma for two weeks with fears of paralysis and with a damaged artery. Also a lot of broken bones. He had to start from literally zero again, so to see him at this level already is encouraging.

Milan Vader 8th. I know this is only Tour Down Under, but this is his first top 10 on the road after nearly dying last year and being in a coma for like 2 weeks last year and only coming back for the Cro race.

He was supposed to help Dennis but Dennis told him to go for his own chances as he felt he didn't have the legs to defend the lead.

Last edited:
Milan Vader 8th. I know this is only Tour Down Under, but this is his first top 10 on the road after nearly dying last year and being in a coma for like 2 weeks last year and only coming back for the Cro race.

He was supposed to help Dennis but Dennis told him to go for his own chances as he felt he didn't have the legs to defend the lead.
And he was pulling for Rohan until the last km of the climb,
He was like in the 40-50 position and he passed a lot of riders before the end, maybe he was the fourth strongest today.

Tuned in for the final 50km and noticed a significant number of riders were reported to have dropped their chains near the foot of the final climb, most notably Matthews. One commentator put the figure at 5 or 6 in the span of a few minutes.

I've raised this before but worth reposting: what is it about modern race bikes and racers that is to blame, if anything? We saw the same in last year's racing throughout the season. I imagine it's the continued push toward thinner and thinner chains and more and more gears.

Haven't we reached the point where teams and riders should push back against this trend driven by component makers?

These days I race on the velodrome, so perhaps I am biased against more than one gear! I'd be interested in the forum's take.
You're exactly right. And I think we've reached that point some time ago already. 12s drivetrains, disc brakes, integrated cockpits with handlebars and steering tubes snapping left and right (because of some sh*t engineering) are all just a marketing things to more or less extent and have nothing to do with improving performance, but instead very often compromise it.

Anyway I don't think riders themselves have that much to say on this topic. At least the situation is quite equal for everyone as all of them ride basically the same equipment (however not that long ago Skyneos guys and Pogacar for instance, were allowed to ride rim brakes, but they're also not able to do that anymore as all of the newest versions of Pinarellos and Colnagos come with discs only).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts