• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Watch for Hepburn in the men's ITT - He's been consistently around the top 10's in WT ITT's in the last two years and should podium - An in-form Gigante can knock off Brown in the women's ITT. You will notice no Durbridge in the ITT and he did not make the TDU squad. I suspect he'll be on a different squad in 2025.

Are we sure Durbridge wont start the time trial ? I recall last year he wasnt on this preliminary startlist after the entry deadline either but was then suddenly on the final startlist anyways, so I would expect the same could happen this year even if is strange. But I suppose him missing it would be even stranger given his history. But I havent been able to find out any information about it.

Startlists for the mens and women's TDU

I am interested to see Cecile Ludwig and Dygert on the startlist - If these two are in shape then they are favorites for GC, while Dygert could nearly win a sprint.

The most interesting entry on the men's startlist is Jack Haig. It's the first time he's been back to Australia since turning pro in 2015.

Reactions: Dk one
They also have (or had: I haven't looked to see if they have edited it) Ryan Mullan as South African, and Jhonathan Narvaez as Spanish, and gave Lillee Pollock the forename Life (which I was about to bring to the coolest names thread before I realised it was wrong).

But that is as nothing compared to the faux pas in revealing no fewer than 4 team kits before the teams have.

TDU also made a faux paux in lasy year's edition when they announced S.Yates was riding the race before Jayco could put out a press release.

Reactions: Sandisfan
TDU organisers missed a trick by not including Chamberlain in the Aussie National time - The organisers have made a raft of poor selections over the years.
Would that be for the organisers to do? Surely they invite Cycling Australia (or whatever the national federation is called) to enter a team, and then it is up to them to make a selection. It would seem very open to favoritism to have a team run by the organisers.

And would he even be allowed to ride? He is contracted to Ag2R development team, and I would anticipate is not allowed to be in a race in which the Ag2R WT is competing.

Last edited:
Would that be for the organisers to do? Surely they invite Cycling Australia (or whatever the national federation is called) to enter a team, and then it is up to them to make a selection. It would seem very open to favoritism to have a team run by the organisers.

And would he even be allowed to ride? He is contracted to Ag2R development team, and I would anticipate is not allowed to be in a race in which the Ag2R WT is competing.

The TDU organisers have an influence on what riders are invited into the National Team for their race - You mention favoritism - Gee that's been part and parcel of Cycling Australia's selections for the National Team in the TDU - In the 2013 edition, they had 5 track riders and Ewan and Sweeney - The make up of the team should be mainly under 23's with one or two older riders .

My understanding is you can not have a development team of a WT team in the same race as per UCI regulations, but in the case of Chamberlain it is an individual rider.

The TDU organisers have an influence on what riders are invited into the National Team for their race - You mention favoritism - Gee that's been part and parcel of Cycling Australia's selections for the National Team in the TDU - In the 2013 edition, they had 5 track riders and Ewan and Sweeney - The make up of the team should be mainly under 23's with one or two older riders .

My understanding is you can not have a development team of a WT team in the same race as per UCI regulations, but in the case of Chamberlain it is an individual rider.

A rider on a development team isn't allowed to ride for the related WT team in a WT race, so it would be weird if they could simply work around that rule by having him ride for the national team instead.

A rider on a development team isn't allowed to ride for the related WT team in a WT race, so it would be weird if they could simply work around that rule by having him ride for the national team instead.
It may be weird but it could be done with special permission. For example, Medway who is on a Conti Team is riding the TDU. Anyway, Chamberlain came third in the under-23 ITT behind the surprise winner Jackson Medway. Actually the podium are all 19 or older which augurs well for their futures.

Plapp wins the mens ITT from Harper, Hepburn and O'Brien in a clean sweep for Jayco. Good effort by Plapp who suffered a mechanical and had to change bikes.

Brown just wins the womens ITT from Chapman and Howe - The race was stripped of its glory when Gigante's ITT bike suffered a mechanical and started on a road bike.

In a surprise, Medway wins the under 23 ITT from McKenzie and Chamberlain. I expect Jayco will try to get Medway into the Hageons Development team. I believe Medway is riding for the Aussie National team in the TDU.