• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ferminal said:
42x16ss said:
Umm, Orica wanted to retain Matthews. It's just that with Chaves, 2 x Yates, Kreuziger, Plaza, Gerrans, Hayman, Impey and now Howson, Verona, Ewan and Cort something had to give. Their budget isn't endless and Matthews can quite rightly command a solid salary. He's probably the one big rider there that the rest of the squad can make up for.
It's also probably more of a binary between Matthews and Gerrans given the similarities in riders and pay.

And Gerrans is still going to peak for the TDU :eek:

But both his monuments were in TDU winning years! Even the early monument! Kind of puts to rest the notion that you can't be competitive in Spring if you train hard in January (indeed you may say it's essential).

Apparently Gerrans is riding MSR in 2017 - Imagine he will be the number one card as i doubt Ewan will get over the Poggio - I'd like to see Cort ride the race as he is quick in a finish.

Ferminal said:
42x16ss said:
Umm, Orica wanted to retain Matthews. It's just that with Chaves, 2 x Yates, Kreuziger, Plaza, Gerrans, Hayman, Impey and now Howson, Verona, Ewan and Cort something had to give. Their budget isn't endless and Matthews can quite rightly command a solid salary. He's probably the one big rider there that the rest of the squad can make up for.
It's also probably more of a binary between Matthews and Gerrans given the similarities in riders and pay.

And Gerrans is still going to peak for the TDU :eek:

But both his monuments were in TDU winning years! Even the early monument! Kind of puts to rest the notion that you can't be competitive in Spring if you train hard in January (indeed you may say it's essential).
Exactly, there's been a surprisingly long list of riders who have used the TDU as a springboard for a good season and many of them are not Australian.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
2017 CA Road Nationals Elite Men's Time Trial

Date: Thursday, January 5 2017
Buninyong - Buninyong
Distance: 40.9 km
Chief Commissaire: Greg Griffiths
Organiser: GTR Events
Download as: [PDF] [Spreadsheet] [Blog Text] [JSON]

Result
1. 26 Rohan DENNIS (BMC) 50:59.27
2. 33 Luke DURBRIDGE (ORS) 51:57.52 +58.2
3. 34 Ben DYBALL 52:37.99 +1:38.7
4. 53 Michael HEPBURN (ORS) 53:04.09 +2:04.8
5. 111 Miles SCOTSON (BMC) 53:28.59 +2:29.3
6. 14 Brendan CANTY (CDT) 55:00.76 +4:01.4
7. 75 Sean LAKE (ISW) 55:06.09 +4:06.8
8. 138 Cameron WURF (CDT) 55:13.24 +4:13.9
9. 92 Lachlan NORRIS (UHC) 55:33.66 +4:34.3
10. 68 Jacob KAUFFMANN (SNS) 55:37.42 +4:38.1
11. 88 Peter MILOSTIC 56:12.78 +5:13.5
12. 142 James OGILVIE 58:00.32 +7:01.0
13. 23 Marcus CULEY 58:34.30 +7:35.0
14. 10 Samuel BURSTON (MBS) 58:39.23 +7:39.9
15. 20 Jesse COYLE (MBS) 59:57.37 +8:58.0
16. 107 Patrick SACCANI-WILLIAMS (GDT) 1h00:02.97 +9:03.7
17. 108 Paul SALISBURY 1h01:25.33 +10:26.0
18. 18 Brendan J COLE 1h02:10.33 +11:11.0
19. 137 Nathan WOOD 1h02:27.67 +11:28.4
20. 122 Brodie TALBOT 1h02:30.88 +11:31.6
21. 47 Lachlan GLASSPOOL (ORF) 1h02:33.48 +11:34.2
22. 129 Andrew WAI 1h13:40.09 +22:40.8

It will be some tough racing for the road races, U23's on Saturday are facing 34 degrees (93 fahrenheit) and the seniors on Sunday having it easy with 31 (87 f) so I wont be surprised seeing some of the local pro's having a real chance in the road races this year, I'll be happy seeing a non Orica rider bagging the nationals again :D

I took great interest in the men's under 23 Criterium and TT - Good to see possible GC riders in Lucas Hamilton and Jai Hindley riding aggressively to get in the successful breakaway - This augurs well for their vesatility - And Mitchell Storer another GC guy who is the youngest was third in the TT - I suspect that Storer and one of the other two will end up at Orica in the next two years.

My guess is Gerrans will be the number one card for amongst Orica's 6 riders - For various reasons Hayman, Power, Haig and Edmondson will not ride. Which brings me to another discussion point - Orica only having 10 Aussie riders suggests there is a temporary hiatus in Australian's riding in the WT - Think this is a lull of two or three years a there are some good prospects coming up in the next two or three years.

Re:

yaco said:
I took great interest in the men's under 23 Criterium and TT - Good to see possible GC riders in Lucas Hamilton and Jai Hindley riding aggressively to get in the successful breakaway - This augurs well for their vesatility - And Mitchell Storer another GC guy who is the youngest was third in the TT - I suspect that Storer and one of the other two will end up at Orica in the next two years.

My guess is Gerrans will be the number one card for amongst Orica's 6 riders - For various reasons Hayman, Power, Haig and Edmondson will not ride. Which brings me to another discussion point - Orica only having 10 Aussie riders suggests there is a temporary hiatus in Australian's riding in the WT - Think this is a lull of two or three years a there are some good prospects coming up in the next two or three years.

Robert Stannard who is 1.5 year younger than Storer is also a GC guy he finished 2nd in the ITT. He used to ride for New Zealand but now changed to Australian as NZ doesnt fund U23 cyclist. Stannard is a very bright prospect has been doing very well in the NRS while still being a junior and has joined a Dutch CT this year (who also ride some races like Tour of Croatia) so will be good to see him in Europe.

StryderHells said:
Big ride from Ben Dyball to finish that close in the TT, could be a good outside chance in the road race
Apparently he had to avoid the Squillari incident too

dnf 116 Nicholas SQUILLARI

Decisions of the commissaires panel
Car 116 driver Rhys GILLETT fined $200 for passenger leaning out of vehicle (Regulation 3.41.09 [6])
Car 116 passenger Mark FERGUSON fined $200 for leaning out of vehicle (Regulation 3.41.09 [6])
Car 116 driver Rhys GILLETT fined $200 for disrespect toward officials regarding safe driving (Annexure 9, item 29)
Car 116 driver Rhys GILLETT fined $200 for disrespect toward officials regarding validity of license (Annexure 9, item 29)
Car 116 passenger Mark FERGUSON fined $200 for disrespect toward officials regarding validity of license (Annexure 9, item 29)

Ruudz0r said:
yaco said:

Robert Stannard who is 1.5 year younger than Storer is also a GC guy he finished 2nd in the ITT. He used to ride for New Zealand but now changed to Australian as NZ doesnt fund U23 cyclist. Stannard is a very bright prospect has been doing very well in the NRS while still being a junior and has joined a Dutch CT this year (who also ride some races like Tour of Croatia) so will be good to see him in Europe.
The next talent to really show his hand will be Ben O'Connor. He switched from trail and cross country running to cycling in 2013, this year he's riding for Dimension Data.

42x16ss said:
Ruudz0r said:
yaco said:

The next talent to really show his hand will be Ben O'Connor. He switched from trail and cross country running to cycling in 2013, this year he's riding for Dimension Data.
Will also be interesting to see Scott Bowden progress.
Showed a bit in the U23 crit

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
MOVISTAR TEAM - MOV (Spain)

131. SUTTERLIN, Jasha (GER)

132. HERRADA, Jose (ESP)

133. HERRADA, Jesus (ESP)

134. BARBERO, Carlos (ESP)

135. IZAGIRRE, Gorka (ESP)

136. DE LA PARTE, Victor (ESP)

137. SOLER, Marc (COL)

Team Manager: Jose Arrieta (ESP)

Re:

yaco said:

Callum Scotson, Hamilton, Hindley and Storer could all go WT over the next few years, whilst Schultz if he rides well for Caja Rural can do the same. I know it's not a lot of riders coming through, but there's good enough coaching there should be some others who emerge.

Hepburn and Docker should be the domestiques, one of Howson and Durbridge should go in the breakaways and the other should stick around for Gerrans and Ewan. Gerrans can track any move over the last laps, whilst Ewan should rest himself for a sprint. I'm expecting the old Avanti (IsoWhey) to use their numerical advantage to the maximum so it should be a good race, while the Dimension Data riders have a huge opportunity to take advantage of the focus on the two teams.

Re:

Yeh the RR is wide open, GreenEdge don't have the depth to hold it all together until the final lap anymore so it comes down to how strong Gerrans is (agree they need Durbridge/Howson in every move). No Porte/Haussler/Bobridge also makes the top end pretty thin, if a local is going to take it once more this is the year to do it.