• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
yaco said:
I took great interest in the men's under 23 Criterium and TT - Good to see possible GC riders in Lucas Hamilton and Jai Hindley riding aggressively to get in the successful breakaway - This augurs well for their vesatility - And Mitchell Storer another GC guy who is the youngest was third in the TT - I suspect that Storer and one of the other two will end up at Orica in the next two years.

My guess is Gerrans will be the number one card for amongst Orica's 6 riders - For various reasons Hayman, Power, Haig and Edmondson will not ride. Which brings me to another discussion point - Orica only having 10 Aussie riders suggests there is a temporary hiatus in Australian's riding in the WT - Think this is a lull of two or three years a there are some good prospects coming up in the next two or three years.

Robert Stannard who is 1.5 year younger than Storer is also a GC guy he finished 2nd in the ITT. He used to ride for New Zealand but now changed to Australian as NZ doesnt fund U23 cyclist. Stannard is a very bright prospect has been doing very well in the NRS while still being a junior and has joined a Dutch CT this year (who also ride some races like Tour of Croatia) so will be good to see him in Europe.

Thanks for the information - Had little information about Stannard - That's a super effort for one who is not yet 18 1/2 - Will follow with interest. Interesting if he gets a crack at the Tour L'Avenir in 2017.

greenedge said:
yaco said:
I took great interest in the men's under 23 Criterium and TT - Good to see possible GC riders in Lucas Hamilton and Jai Hindley riding aggressively to get in the successful breakaway - This augurs well for their vesatility - And Mitchell Storer another GC guy who is the youngest was third in the TT - I suspect that Storer and one of the other two will end up at Orica in the next two years.

My guess is Gerrans will be the number one card for amongst Orica's 6 riders - For various reasons Hayman, Power, Haig and Edmondson will not ride. Which brings me to another discussion point - Orica only having 10 Aussie riders suggests there is a temporary hiatus in Australian's riding in the WT - Think this is a lull of two or three years a there are some good prospects coming up in the next two or three years.

Callum Scotson, Hamilton, Hindley and Storer could all go WT over the next few years, whilst Schultz if he rides well for Caja Rural can do the same. I know it's not a lot of riders coming through, but there's good enough coaching there should be some others who emerge.

Hepburn and Docker should be the domestiques, one of Howson and Durbridge should go in the breakaways and the other should stick around for Gerrans and Ewan. Gerrans can track any move over the last laps, whilst Ewan should rest himself for a sprint. I'm expecting the old Avanti (IsoWhey) to use their numerical advantage to the maximum so it should be a good race, while the Dimension Data riders have a huge opportunity to take advantage of the focus on the two teams.

Callum Scotson is riding with the BMC Development team - It's not doom or gloom just a quieter patch for Aussie riders - Very confident that 3 or 4 of your listed riders will end up in the WT.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Bora-Hansgrohe : Peter Sagan, Sam Bennett, Gregor Muhlberger, Rüdiger Selig, Michael Kolar, Jay McCarthy, Lukas Pöstlberger

Strong in every terrain for the TDU.
Looks like Bennett for the sprints and McCarthy for GC, with Sagan to continue finding form. He'll probably be in the mix on a couple of stages.

42x16ss said:
Alexandre B. said:
Bora-Hansgrohe : Peter Sagan, Sam Bennett, Gregor Muhlberger, Rüdiger Selig, Michael Kolar, Jay McCarthy, Lukas Pöstlberger

Looks like Bennett for the sprints and McCarthy for GC, with Sagan to continue finding form. He'll probably be in the mix on a couple of stages.

You don't think Bennett will be Sagan's final lead out man?

del1962 said:
42x16ss said:
Alexandre B. said:

You don't think Bennett will be Sagan's final lead out man?
Possibly, but a lot will depend on Sagan's form and ambition. Sagan has been putting in solid 3-5 hour days around Sydney since he arrived, so there might be a question mark on his freshness and finishing speed. He may be here for a sea change and to get to know some teammates.

U23 RR results

1. 47 Samuel JENNER 3h27:52
2. 88 Alexander PORTER (SAS) +47
3. 38 Lucas HAMILTON +47
4. 28 Alistair DONOHOE (ATG) +47
5. 68 Oliver MARTIN +47
6. 9 Scott BOWDEN (ISW) +47
7. 102 Michael STORER +47
8. 77 Cyrus MONK (DPV) +47
9. 59 Peter LIVINGSTONE (MBS) +47
10. 64 Angus LYONS +47

C1i5dz3UoAA_sec.jpg

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

claude cat said:
You're not missing anything - they are still showing the end of the womens race (Garfoot won), even though it's meant to be live.

Durbo, Docker, Morton, Phelan, Norris & Lake have formed a breakaway looking very dangerous.

Thanks for the update/link!