• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
Good, I expect much more from him in '13.
Possible the biggest talent on Orica.

Is certainly a talent but there are others who have left the track to keep an eye on this year as well. Hepburn, Bewley, Howard and Meyer will have full years with a road pre-season and Hepburn especially could be as good, if not better than Durbridge. I think Durbridge's great year and more improvement has also helped Tuft, who has shown excellent progression and seems to be a good mentor type for the up and coming time trial capabilities of OGE.

Hot and 36C for the final day of the Bay Crits. Williamstown will be a perfect location. We also get to see the Herald Sun Tour prologue later in the day.

Wilba60 said:
Is certainly a talent but there are others who have left the track to keep an eye on this year as well. Hepburn, Bewley, Howard and Meyer will have full years with a road pre-season and Hepburn especially could be as good, if not better than Durbridge. I think Durbridge's great year and more improvement has also helped Tuft, who has shown excellent progression and seems to be a good mentor type for the up and coming time trial capabilities of OGE.

yep, lots of interesting youngsters on Orica.

I shall say Porte to take the ITT. The criterium Davison, Renshaw or Matthews.

U23 RR Law or Flakemore, Phelan animating it. U23 Criterium shall be Ewans' quite easily. The ITT winner in my view will be Howson though Kerby could challenge.

For the womens RR i shall say Neylan, Cromwell or Gilmore who looks to be getting better.

No idea for the rest.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I shall say Porte to take the ITT. The criterium Davison, Renshaw or Matthews.

U23 RR Law or Flakemore, Phelan animating it. U23 Criterium shall be Ewans' quite easily. The ITT winner in my view will be Howson though Kerby could challenge.

For the womens RR i shall say Neylan, Cromwell or Gilmore who looks to be getting better.

No idea for the rest.

No way Gilmore will win. She has only just come back and is not a good climber, especially in comparison to Neylan and Cromwell.

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. I rode for a week with both Neylan and Gilmore in December. Neylan is WAY stronger.

In the men's Simon Clarke is getting pretty strong. He had his appendix out in late November and so lost a bit of training - I think he might be ahead of Gerrans right now in terms of fitness.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Massive bushfire just outside of Ballarat. Supposedly it is not far away from Wendouree, where tomorrow's time trial will be held. Seems likely that the race will have to be called off. The fire is only 25km away from the course. In saying this, there will be much cooler weather tomorrow with some rain which may help the situation.

I like Meyer as a big chance in the RR. This is a guess but I reckon he is really disappointed in what happened last year at Bunniyong when he looked the winner at one stage. To go hunger flat and almost ride backwards would have been a big shock to him and I am guessing he is out to avenge that "mistake" and win the jersey. He will be on a much stricter road racing training regime now and I feel he will have a top year, which would be nicely supplemented with the Aussie champs jersey.

Of course none of us know what the OGE plan is but going on last year they tend to go with 3 or 4 adaptable plans based on how their riders are feeling and also the positions of the main contenders. My pick though is still Simon Clarke, he looked good up Arthurs Seat in the HST and as long as the team management give him the green light, he is a huge chance. Hopefully he will also be riding the TDU. Plenty of great opposition for OGE though and it will be interesting to see what allegiances are built by other professional teams and independant riders. Great race coming up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
On the bush fires, it seems odd that there has been no media on it from the organisers. This map shows were the bush fires are currently relative to the course, which is from Lake Wendouree and to the west of that.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Durbridge fastest at split 30:23.34, Dennis 2nd + 12" and Porte 3rd +19" #roadnats. Average speed for Durbridge is 53.3km/h. The speeds have been super fast today.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Durbridge wins by 21 seconds over Dennis. Average speed 51.1km/h.

Bobridge finishes 18th.

1. Luke DURBRIDGE (WA) 43:26.71
2. Rohan DENNIS (SA) 43:47.98 +21.2
3. Michael MATTHEWS (ACT) 44:11.85 +45.1
4. Richard PORTE (TAS) 44:14.86 +48.1
5. Jacob KAUFFMANN (NSW) 46:10.39 +2:43.6
... ... ... ...
9. Cameron WURF (TAS) 46:45.28 +3:18.5
18. Jack BOBRIDGE (SA) 47:56.46 +4:29.7

TRENDING THREADS