• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ferminal said:
42x16ss said:
HelloDolly said:
Moan moan moan....nothing but moaners on here...If the race is so bad go to bed
I know right? Even the Tour of Beijing didn't get panned like this race does. I guess that it's because the TDU is financially healthy with very good crowds.

Not sure being essentially a government event is 'financially healthy' although I guess it is universally supported in SA so that will never change.

The balance sheet of the title sponsor though!
The race has been turning a tidy profit since it's inception. It also attracts huge crowds to local businesses. How's that not financially healthy?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Actually, I have to take it back as it is not my TV company fault. It is their fault that they don't have a high quality HD stream as the American races have. Just license the ToC Tour Tracker technology and they could have a great HD coverage too.

Jancouver said:
RedheadDane said:
Jancouver said:
RedheadDane said:
Jancouver said:
I'm not negative, I'm just honest and I call things as they are. I refuse to be politically correct

So do I; TDU is a great race! :D
It's a nice early chance to see the riders in action, sure the - majority of - the big-name riders aren't there, but isn't that just a good thing? Kinda nice to see the "lesser" riders getting a chance to shine.
Of course the most important thing is that the riders seemingly enjoy it, at least that's what Brian Nygaard has been saying, and I'd say he has a pretty good base of knowledge about what he's talking about.

Its not on my TV and the stream quality is so poor that I cant really see much. You again, just to compare it with my local tour of California. We have the HD stream for years and years and watching TdU is like watching a race coverage from some 3rd world country and they have been WT race forever ... WT without the WT quality of field, roads, or TV coverage. Its a shame.

It's not TDU's fault that you haven't got proper coverage. The coverage around here is pretty good; live on national television, good images, the lot. :)

Yeah, for some reason, the American TV companies are refusing to cover crappy cycling events

Yeah, because what I've heard from around here American TV companies are usually so good at showing races live. :rolleyes: Wouldn't be the first time I've noticed people states-side scramble for online livefeeds while I'm just sitting smugly over here being "Well, I've got it on live national TV, so I'm totally cool here. :D "
Honestly, to me the major source of negativity is the terribly timing of the stages. Couldn't they just make all stages to evening racing? Would also - potentially at least - solve the problem with the extreme heat.

Now, go to bed, or go to work, or whatever - I don't know what the time is where you are - and let those of us who actually like this race enjoy the fun.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Lets not slander other countries. I live in Australia now so I can say this with some experience.
I watched the Trump inauguration too and it was one of the great things about the USA to see that.
I'll record the TDU race and watch it later so I can fast forward through all the boring bits and ads (which is most of it)

Looks like Porte has already won GC here, just a matter of who wins the last hill stage and tomorrow it should be Ewan again barring any mishaps. Once again Aussies win everything in this race - which does harm is credibility.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
1 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 3:40:13
2 Nathan Haas (Aus) Dimension Data 0:00:20
3 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-Scott
4 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Team UAE Abu Dhabi
5 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Bora-Hansgrohe
6 Nathan Earle (Aus) UniSA-Australia 0:00:23
7 Rafael Valls (Spa) Lotto Soudal
8 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Team Sky
9 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
10 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Cannondale-Drapac

Jspear said:
Scarponi said:
Surprised Richie doesn't go for flèche wallone

It's much steeper. Also just because he looks this good against this competition doesn't mean he'd look/do that well on the Mur De huy against the best.
Of course, all I said was have a go. Valverde sprinting at full ball up the flèche will always be a different proposition. You wouldn't know until he gets there though

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Brief Results

# Rider Name (Country) Team Result
1 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 3:40:13
2 Nathan Haas (Aus) Dimension Data 0:00:20
3 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-Scott
4 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Team UAE Abu Dhabi
5 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Bora-Hansgrohe
6 Nathan Earle (Aus) UniSA-Australia 0:00:23
7 Rafael Valls (Spa) Lotto Soudal
8 Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Col) Team Sky