• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
Herald Sun Tour starts with the men's prologue of 1.6km - Should be a battle in two between Clancy and Edmondson - AVV should win the Women's prologue.

Well... all things considered. :p

I am fully aware of stage 1 of the Women's Herald Sun Tour - Actually stage one showed you don't have bonus seconds in a two stage race when the second stage is a 1.6km prologue.

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
Herald Sun Tour starts with the men's prologue of 1.6km - Should be a battle in two between Clancy and Edmondson - AVV should win the Women's prologue.

Well... all things considered. :p

I am fully aware of stage 1 of the Women's Herald Sun Tour - Actually stage one showed you don't have bonus seconds in a two stage race when the second stage is a 1.6km prologue.

Surely, if it's the second stage - and in this case also the last - it can't be a prologue. Isn't prologue the term for when the opening stage of a race is a short (less than 7 Ks?) ITT?
Dunno, would the term for this be an epilogue? If we're sticking to the literary terms...

WheelofGear said:
StryderHells said:
WheelofGear said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
So what is a "real" rider then? Let me guess: riders you like?
Riders who don't suck wheels 95% of the time.

Guess you didn't watch last years Tour
And uphill sprint and a reduced sprint? Not any different from Gerro.

And what about the stages he didn't win? Just sitting in the bunch sucking wheels? Funny cause I remember him attacking any chance he could to put Kittel under pressure.

WheelofGear said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

That's 95% of the riders in the peloton who know they can't win unless the save energy. What Gerrans did was nothing new, he was just better at it than most people. Teams pay riders to win and Gerrans over achieved as far as that goes. Gerrans went from a breakaway rider when he first started and then realized compared to others on the right course he could also sprint and climb with the better classics riders. He just rode to his strength. Sprint wins are never popular unless it's Sagan winning or a bunch sprinter on a flat stage that climbers never had a hope in anyway. Evans was also called a wheelsucker by many fans just because he couldn't climb like Contador and needed to hold something in reserve to have any chance of winning a stage race. Tactics and a good TT plus his ability to minimize his losses in the mountains was just Evan's style, once again nothing new for a grand tour rider. If he had tried to ride like a pure climber he would have been done before the third week started. What some people saw as Evans sandbagging was more or less Evans trying to stay in contention against better climbers. The only way to beat natural talents like Contador and Sagan is to ride smarter which is why Kwia has a few wins against Sagan now. Sagan fans might not like it but the smartest rider won not necessarily the strongest.

swuzzlebubble said:
swuzzlebubble said:
yaco said:
Australian Road Race Titles begin this week - Orica has 9 in the men's RR, except for Jack Haig ( who is doing a Michael Matthews ), BMC has four strong riders and Team Sunweb has three or four riders - Men's RR is usually unpredictable with an even split of wins coming from the breakaway or the peleton - Durbridge could win if he brings his 2017 performance, though if Dennis puts it together he is my favorite.

Men's TT should be a battle between Dennis, Porte and Durbridge with Dennis the undoubted favourite.

Men's criterium should see a win to Orica - They have multiple options in Ewan, Meyer or Edmondson who can win.

The women's RR takes on a different dimension with Garfoot leaving Orica - Spratt, Kennedy or Roy will be hard to beat, though there will be strong opposition from the types of Garfoot, Cromwell, Gillow, Neylan and the like - This is an open race.

The women's TT should be a benefit for Garfoot, though Kennedy is a chance to podium.

The women's critierion should go to one of the Orica rider's.
Brodie Chapman has been racing strongly in Melb club racing so I'll be interested to see how she goes at Nats.
Perhaps more suited to the crit although I have no idea of her team duties.
6th in women's race for Chapman
And stage 1 of women's Sun Tour

Good call by you Swuzzlebubble. Chapman was also 15th in the Cadel Evans RR so she has good form. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for Chapman. And AVV wins the prologue today.

Will stick my neck out and predict Lucy Kennedy will end up a better rider than Amanda Spratt.

The Hegelian said:
WheelofGear said:
StryderHells said:
WheelofGear said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Guess you didn't watch last years Tour
And uphill sprint and a reduced sprint? Not any different from Gerro.

And what about the stages he didn't win? Just sitting in the bunch sucking wheels? Funny cause I remember him attacking any chance he could to put Kittel under pressure.

Stop introducing facts into this :D

Scarponi said:
Very good cross wind action in today's Herald stage. Under 20 riders in the lead group to finish

It was a lovely day out but was thinking when getting smashed around by the wind commuting that it would be a hectic day in the Sun Tour. Looking at the results the only GC guys in with a shot now would be Howson, Chaves, Harper, Guerreiro and possibly Bayly.

StryderHells said:
Scarponi said:
Very good cross wind action in today's Herald stage. Under 20 riders in the lead group to finish

It was a lovely day out but was thinking when getting smashed around by the wind commuting that it would be a hectic day in the Sun Tour. Looking at the results the only GC guys in with a shot now would be Howson, Chaves, Harper, Guerreiro and possibly Bayly.
+ Daniel Whitehouse.

Well deserved win for Lasse Norman Hansen. He has clearly started the season in excellent early form. He’s had three race days so far: he was the strongest in the break in the Cadel race, then narrowly missed out on winning the Herald Sun prologue, then won the next stage.

A welcome boost for Aquablue too, given that they seem to be struggling for race invites this year despite last years good results.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Well deserved win for Lasse Norman Hansen. He has clearly started the season in excellent early form. He’s had three race days so far: he was the strongest in the break in the Cadel race, then narrowly missed out on winning the Herald Acun prologue, then won the next stage.

A welcome boost for Aquablue too, given that they seem to be struggling for race invites this year despite last years good results.

It was a great win. Apparently Norman himself caused the selection that cut the leading group to 9 riders after crosswinds had split the peloton earlier.

Hopefully he can carry his shape through to the spring where I believe he has lots of unfulfilled potential.

Geraint Too Fast said:
StryderHells said:
Scarponi said:

+ Daniel Whitehouse.

Very true! He's been developing nicely racing in Asia, could do very well on Lake Mountain.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/jayco-herald-sun-tour-2018/stage-2/results/

The Danes are on fire! :eek:

I'd actually been sorta joking with myself; "Haha... could be rather funny if (M) Pedersen takes the second stage. Never gonna happen though..."
Is Lasse-Norman related to Louise Lasse-Norman in the women's SunTour?

swuzzlebubble said:
RedheadDane said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/jayco-herald-sun-tour-2018/stage-2/results/

The Danes are on fire! :eek:

I'd actually been sorta joking with myself; "Haha... could be rather funny if (M) Pedersen takes the second stage. Never gonna happen though..."
Is Lasse-Norman related to Louise Lasse-Norman in the women's SunTour?

They're brother and sister.
(You mean Louise Norman Hansen, not Louise Lasse-Norman. Lasse is, well, Lasse's first name :p )

TRENDING THREADS