• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roku said:
Van Baarle is a very good rider. He has good endurance (he tends to be quite good for a non climber in 3rd weeks of a GT) and is good on short and not too long climbs.

That said, I would find surprising if he reached a Kiryienka level. Also i find surprising he climbed better than Sivakov or Howson today. Regarding climbing abilities i rate him like Knees type in his heydays.
I would prefer to see Van Baarle play to his strengths as a rouleur and classics rider. Being used solely as a Knees/Kiriyenka style domestique would be a waste of his abilities.

I suspect that Van Baarle is simply in better form than Sivakov and Howson. Van Baarle will be targeting the classics while Sivakov and Howson don't need to be at their best until the main stage races start.

Nick Schultz and Dylan Van Baarle smash stage 4, leaving the favourites in their wake - Van Baarle leads 2 seconds - Great ride by Chris Harper to finish 3rd on the stage and up to 5th in GC. You have to wonder how Harper is stuck at CT level - He is definitely PCT level and could do a job at WT level.

Re:

yaco said:
Nick Schultz and Dylan Van Baarle smash stage 4, leaving the favourites in their wake - Van Baarle leads 2 seconds - Great ride by Chris Harper to finish 3rd on the stage and up to 5th in GC. You have to wonder how Harper is stuck at CT level - He is definitely PCT level and could do a job at WT level.

Van Baarle leads 24 seconds not 2.
Time/Gap
1. 27 Dylan VAN BAARLE (SKY) NED 11h28:42
2. 7 Nicholas SCHULTZ (MTS) AUS +24

Re:

yaco said:
Harper and Donohoe certainly look to be at PCT level while Aiden Toovey and Jason Lea have ridden impressively this summer as well.

After Mobius merged with the squad it looks like Mobius Bridgelane are only another good sponsor and a few more key signings away from going PCT should they choose to.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Harper and Donohoe certainly look to be at PCT level while Aiden Toovey and Jason Lea have ridden impressively this summer as well.

After Mobius merged with the squad it looks like Mobius Bridgelane are only another good sponsor and a few more key signings away from going PCT should they choose to.

I understand that Harper peaks in January and does a good job, but surely he's a better rider than Clarke or Morton who continue to obtain WT contracts.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

I understand that Harper peaks in January and does a good job, but surely he's a better rider than Clarke or Morton who continue to obtain WT contracts.
Will Clarke is a worthy WT rider, it's just that riders like him come and go from the WT all the time. He has a job and does it well.

Morton? Well, he's talented, just not sure if he even wants to be a Pro rider I think. A lion in the USA, a lamb in Europe. A rider who is capable of so much more.

Bay Crits are 3-5 January, big names so far include

Mens:
Luke Durbridge
Brenton Jones
Nathan Haas
Caleb Ewan
Jay McCarthy
Zak Dempster
Miles Scotson
Heinrich Haussler
Roger Kluge
Koen de Kort

Womens:
Amanda Spratt
Sarah Gigante
Shannon Malseed
Peta Mullens
Chloe Hosking
Valentina Scandolara

No surprises there, the usual suspects but entries are still open. Usually gets good racing.

Reactions: claude cat

TRENDING THREADS