• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
People still claim that this crit is not scripted :p
Ewan acting like he is the worst rider in the race and barely holding on at the back for 2/3 of the race, only to win the sprint by far. But sure, this Schwalbe thing is the only non-predetermined crit.
No, not predetermined, if you've seen previous years. Ewan is looking seriously fit already.

I will say that the EF leadout were brainless though. They left a corridor a team car could have driven down next to that barrier and somehow only Ewan saw it.

Consonni is a clown. Viviani has two of the worst lead outs in recent memory.
I think that Consonni just hasn't the right built to be a leadout man. Only 60kg light and short, too light to fight for positions and he's an explosive sprinter, so he has a fast acceleration, but lacks the ability to keep high wattages for a longer part of the sprint.
Maybe they should use him before the leadout man and have him do what he does in the TP on the track, keep the pace high for a decent amount of time. His size will always be a problem when facing other sprint trains with guys who are 20kg heavier and can just push him around.

Reactions: search
Looked like it was about the timing between Bennett and Philipsen.
Lotto-Soudal messed it up at the end after working at the front for a great deal of the broadcast piece of the stage. Maybe they were too eager to repeat the result of the day before yesterday and burned the matches too early.

The vineyards look neat.

Bennett is just as good if not better on a gradual rise. Eceabat? Oviedo?

On Hatta Dam-type of finishes, sure Ewan has an edge. But on these type of finishes it's at least 50/50.

I disagree. They are close to equal on the flat but when it rises, Ewan automatically gains the upper hand due to his small size.

They had a couple of up-hill battles in Turkey last year where that became quite evident.

I disagree. They are close to equal on the flat but when it rises, Ewan automatically gains the upper hand due to his small size.

They had a couple of up-hill battles in Turkey last year where that became quite evident.
I do agree with you that Ewan is better when it's somewhat steep but I don't think that Stirling climb is an issue for a powerful rider like Bennett who has the entire train behind him.

It's just an uphill drag which never gets really steep.

I do agree with you that Ewan is better when it's somewhat steep but I don't think that Stirling climb is an issue for a powerful rider like Bennett who has the entire train behind him.

It's just an uphill drag which never gets really steep.

The thing is that it's not because it's a problem for Bennett, aerobically speaking, and I definitely think that he will benefit against Viviani due to the nature of the finale.

But Ewan is a strange case because he is as small as he is. And that means that as soon as the final rises just a little bit, he gets an advantage power-to-weight-wise. However, he is also very aerodynamic which he doesn't benefit from as much when it rises due to the speed being slower, so there may be arguments for and against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Velolover2
The sprint was chaos, a lot of people caught out of position
Viviani and especially Ewan had not been in the best positions, but I wouldn´t say that it was really chaotic. There was a really good lead-out from Quick-Step, so that Bennett was in the best position already 150 meters away from the finish line. He started his sprint a bit too late, so that Philipsen was close.
The end speed of Baska was not bad. He surely had a better position then Viviani 150 meters before the finish line, but also with his end speed he managed to stay in front of Viviani in the end. He could become sprinter Nr.3 of Bora this season.

Reactions: tobydawq
Viviani and especially Ewan had not been in the best positions, but I wouldn´t say that it was really chaotic. There was a really good lead-out from Quick-Step, so that Bennett was in the best position already 150 meters away from the finish line. He started his sprint a bit too late, so that Philipsen was close.
The end speed of Baska was not bad. He surely had a better position then Viviani 150 meters before the finish line, but also with his end speed he managed to stay in front of Viviani in the end. He could become sprinter Nr.3 of Bora this season.

Yeah, I was surprised that Baska seemed to be getting first shot at proving he can be the number three there, given that they have a lot of fast guys, leadout men etc who would like the job. He did very well first time out.

Very good sprint Philipsen.

TRENDING THREADS