• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Impey is making Porte work hard for his title. riding they way he is, Impey might be hard for Porte to shake on Willunga. That climb levels out towards the end and Impey might be able to chase back on. Is there a headwind forecast?
I doubt this. Willunga is more Porte's than the Cauberg is Gilbert's.

He'll get time on Impey for sure. Plus time bonus = Porte's GC to lose.

However, this is Porte we're dealing with; something often goes wrong.....

Simon Yates at 11 seconds to Porte is probably a bigger danger.

I doubt this. Willunga is more Porte's than the Cauberg is Gilbert's.

He'll get time on Impey for sure. Plus time bonus = Porte's GC to lose.

However, this is Porte we're dealing with; something often goes wrong.....

Simon Yates at 11 seconds to Porte is probably a bigger danger.

Impey could get bonus seconds in the intermediate sprints and last year he was same time as Porte on Willunga.

Interesting stage today!!
As I though Mitchelton Scott really tried it on the climb. Unfortunately for them the sprinters came back.
In the end the important factor had been Gibbons. He let a gap behind Kluge, Nizzolo and Consonni so that Bennett and the others lost the important meters.
Tomorrow the Willunga Hill will be climbed two times. Don´t know if Mitchelton will already try something on the first passage. If they arrive together on the feet of the last passage I think Porte will win this and the TDU.

The biggest problem is that he tries to keep this kind of shape for Paris-Nice and other spring races.
If one would sacrifice some of his spring goals resetting and having a proper peak for the Tour would be possible, but the guy seems to be unwilling to make changes.
The week long stage races seem to be his strength. If he avoids illness and doesn't miss racing like last year he should be looking at a top 10 in the Tour. He finished 11th last year with an interrupted preparation. He always seems to get in good training when he returns to Australia in the summer and enjoys the early season races so he probably never even thought about a later start to the season which is odd but for Porte maybe not.............the fact that he rode his best TT for a while in last year's Tour which was early in the race but crumbled on the climbs in the second half suggest he just didn't have the condition for a really good three week performance even with some shortened stages.

Interesting stage today!!
As I though Mitchelton Scott really tried it on the climb. Unfortunately for them the sprinters came back.
In the end the important factor had been Gibbons. He let a gap behind Kluge, Nizzolo and Consonni so that Bennett and the others lost the important meters.
Tomorrow the Willunga Hill will be climbed two times. Don´t know if Mitchelton will already try something on the first passage. If they arrive together on the feet of the last passage I think Porte will win this and the TDU.

It's the unnoticed stuff like this that wins stages. Not sure if Gibbons meant to let a gap go, but if he didn't Bennett would have taken the win easily. Smart tactics from NTT

Reactions: Earns1985

TRENDING THREADS