Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2020
Interesting stage today!!
As I though Mitchelton Scott really tried it on the climb. Unfortunately for them the sprinters came back.
In the end the important factor had been Gibbons. He let a gap behind Kluge, Nizzolo and Consonni so that Bennett and the others lost the important meters.
Tomorrow the Willunga Hill will be climbed two times. Don´t know if Mitchelton will already try something on the first passage. If they arrive together on the feet of the last passage I think Porte will win this and the TDU.
It's the unnoticed stuff like this that wins stages. Not sure if Gibbons meant to let a gap go, but if he didn't Bennett would have taken the win easily. Smart tactics from NTT

Reactions: Earns1985
I would adopt alternative tactics if i am the DS at MS - I will keep the break in check and try to grab bonus seconds at the first intermediate sprint after 64 kms which could give Impey a lead of 5 seconds over Porte - Then I'd let the break go, hoping they will mop up intermediate seconds at 106 kms, and even let the break go to the finish - Then back Impey to finish within 5 seconds of Porte on Willunga Hill - Then it's up to Trek to ride and bring back the break.

fallen? In terms of not winning the stage. Nobody thought he could still contest for the stage even at the start of the last ascent, but he did. If he catched the breakaway riders 15 seconds earlier on a bit steeper part, Holmes wouldn't have been able to hold on.

I think that was the most interesting edition of the TDU that I've paid attention to. Although we eventually ended up with one of the likely results, it was still not a forgone conclusion at the start of the final climb.

So with the benefit of hindsight: Michelton Scott didn't ride because they knew Impey was on a bad day? Yates always looked more likely to me, but he blew up trying to follow Porte. They end up with nothing.

Deserved win by Porte.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS