• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jeremy Hunt has rocked up to the Melbourne masters crits (over-30s) a few times to take the cash, and did so again last night. Incidentally, the guy on the left is Tim Jamieson, who I think raced a little bit in Europe in the late '80s.

QTkUfZe.jpg

Reactions: Bye Bye Bicycle
So Richie Porte who decided to stay in Europe during the off-season is suddenly in quarantine in Perth,Australia - Now he is announced as riding the re-fitted Tour Down Under - The organisers must have paid a shitload of cash, to cover airfares,quarantine and then of course race fees.

Maybe he just couldn't bear the thought of going two years without being the "ruling winner" on Willunga Hill.

So Richie Porte who decided to stay in Europe during the off-season is suddenly in quarantine in Perth,Australia - Now he is announced as riding the re-fitted Tour Down Under - The organisers must have paid a shitload of cash, to cover airfares,quarantine and then of course race fees.

2 young kids, maybe the grandparents want to see them. I dont think he flew just to ride the Santos race . must have been planned in advance, so now he´s there and he can race and prepare in the summer.

2 young kids, maybe the grandparents want to see them. I dont think he flew just to ride the Santos race . must have been planned in advance, so now he´s there and he can race and prepare in the summer.

my information is 100% correct. Porte always comes home in November. It was a last minute decision to come back to OZ, hence him still being in quarantine in Mid December.

Does anyone know which Aussies won't be coming home to race this Summer?
Most of them. Those I know of who came home are:

Meyer
Durbridge
Porte
Lucas Hamilton
Edmondson
Lucy Kennedy
Jess Allen
Jess Pratt
Sarah Gigante
Chloe Hosking

Out of the other regulars Jay McCarthy is still in a cast and can't fly, while Tiffany Cromwell is still travelling with Valtteri Bottas.

Reactions: shalgo and search
Most of them. Those I know of who came home are:

Meyer
Durbridge
Porte
Lucas Hamilton
Edmondson
Lucy Kennedy
Jess Allen
Jess Pratt
Sarah Gigante
Chloe Hosking

Out of the other regulars Jay McCarthy is still in a cast and can't fly, while Tiffany Cromwell is still travelling with Valtteri Bottas.

It's hardly most of them - Porte was a last minute decision after being offered an offer to good to refuse, Durbridge returned to attend his brothers wedding, Meyer returned for the track program while Gigante never left Australia in 2021 and finally, Pratt is back because she has no contract for 2021 - The fact is that the majority chose to remain in Europe for the off-season and it's undetermined how many will ride the rebooted TDU and I doubt many will stay around for the National's in February - I also understand a few of the Colombian's stayed behind in Europe which is unusual for them - It's the nature of the times.

It's hardly most of them - Porte was a last minute decision after being offered an offer to good to refuse, Durbridge returned to attend his brothers wedding, Meyer returned for the track program while Gigante never left Australia in 2021 and finally, Pratt is back because she has no contract for 2021 - The fact is that the majority chose to remain in Europe for the off-season and it's undetermined how many will ride the rebooted TDU and I doubt many will stay around for the National's in February - I also understand a few of the Colombian's stayed behind in Europe which is unusual for them - It's the nature of the times.

He said that most of them won't come to Australia.

Reactions: shalgo and 42x16ss
That is not my interpretation - There are around 40 to 50 riders from Australia/NZ who ride in the WT - It is impractical for most of them to return to Australia with the current restrictions.

But 46x16ss said that most of them will not come to Australia. I'm just saying that it seems like you missed a negative when you read his post because you're agreeing with his point.

"Does anyone know which Aussies won't be coming home to race this Summer?"

"Most of them (won't be coming, ed.)."

But 46x16ss said that most of them will not come to Australia. I'm just saying that it seems like you missed a negative when you read his post because you're agreeing with his point.

"Does anyone know which Aussies won't be coming home to race this Summer?"

"Most of them (won't be coming, ed.)."

Yes - You are right - At least I gave an explanation of why some riders returned to Australia - Add Grace Brown to the list of riders in OZ.

He was in effect the ruling king of Willunga because Holmes winning from the break doesn't count. Porte still beat the peleton of favourites up Willunga.
Holmes scarcely won "from the break". He had been in the break, but Porte caught up and overtook him. That Holmes then outsprinted him, despite having been working in the breakaway group all day, does not mean his win "doesn't count".

Holmes scarcely won "from the break". He had been in the break, but Porte caught up and overtook him. That Holmes then outsprinted him, despite having been working in the breakaway group all day, does not mean his win "doesn't count".

The point of my post is that the 'King of Willunga Hill' is the rider from the main peleton who is first to finish the climb as this is the GC battle - This is what Porte did again in 2020.

TRENDING THREADS