• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Rules Revisted/Revised

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Matthias Brändle

Depends on the height of the rider as well. Brandle has won some shorter time trails. I can't find any over an hour for comparison. 2 national titles and one in the Dauphine. No entrance into the WC's. It's too bad Phinney had such a bad crash, especially with a high altitude track in his home town.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
He did it...........51.85 k

Good job Matthias.

He rode quite a good line - a 200m velodrome with 47 degree banking means that in the corners any movement up the track absorbs energy that is not fully recovered on the way down.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
This is awesome. I can't wait for some of the roadie TTers that regularly beat these trackies to have a crack at it and see how hard it really is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
To keep track of planned future attempts, I think we now have:

Alex Dowsett
Jack Bobridge
Rohan Dennis
Thomas Dekker
Bradley Wiggins

And for the ladies:

Sarah Storey

Anyone else?
dekker is the interesting one.

if he can master track souplesse and tecnique for bends, and go full program with Luigi Cecchini, I like his chances.

He came around the time of Nibali and Cancellara, a year or two behind Sparticus, but he was unpeered as the chrono rider of his era. He then had to marry GC and p/w when the road tilts up. So he backed off a little on his chrono potential.

But for one hour, i always had him on par with Canc, and better than Wiggins and Martin.

Maybe one who wont tackle it in the medium term, Geraint Thomas.

Always thought G had oodles more ability that Wiggo.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Moser predicts Wiggins will go to 56.

This is just a guess, not based on wattage. To do 56 in an outdoor time trial is very different. No tailwind or downhill spots.

I would put Wiggins at 53.5 if I were to guess. I know how to calculate wattage if I would have the figures. If Wiggins really wants a record that will stand, it has to be at altitude. I'm guessing 55 can be done at altitude. There is a formula to use and I'm just ball-parking.

I think 51.7 would be roughly 54 kph at altitude.

I also think a custom bike will be mandatory. Voigt's Trek was a joke, a road bike made into a narrow width? Come on. We can do better. Even Obree had to laugh at that.
I hope some girls step up for the women's record too.

TShame said:
outdoor time trial
That reminds me: there was someone on Facebook a little while ago raggin' on some
of the "slow" old kilo and 4km times by elite riders of the '80s.

One of the riders came back with something like: "well, don't forget we were on outdoor,
bumpy concrete tracks, often on windy nights, riding heavy steel bikes with a heavy
disc rear and a not-particularly-aero front wheel.

Kids today, hey?!?!

:D

TShame said:
There is a formula to use and I'm just ball-parking.

I think 51.7 would be roughly 54 kph at altitude.
I go over this is the blog post I linked earlier:

I will, after some further analysis, come up with a formula to convert sea level speed to speed as a function of altitude (accounting for both the physical and physiological impacts).

TShame said:
I also think a custom bike will be mandatory. Voigt's Trek was a joke, a road bike made into a narrow width? Come on. We can do better. Even Obree had to laugh at that.
Bikes must conform to UCI rules, one of which is that no special modifications are permitted. UCI rule 1.3.007 applies:

Bicycles and their accessories shall be of a type that is sold for use by anyone practising cycling as a sport.
As a result of production imperatives (time constraints), an exception may be requested from the UCI for equipment
that is a final product and that will be marketed in the nine months after its first use in competition. The manufacturer
must however publish information on the equipment in question in advance and announce the date of its market launch.
The use of equipment designed especially for the attainment of a particular performance (record or other) shall be not authorised.

TShame said:
Moser predicts Wiggins will go to 56.

This is just a guess, not based on wattage. To do 56 in an outdoor time trial is very different. No tailwind or downhill spots.

I would put Wiggins at 53.5 if I were to guess.

he will chase rominger's best distance. imo he will do at least 55 kmph

bobridge will already set more than 54 i would guess

Ferminal said:
Australian summers, climate controlled velodromes?

No Australian tracks have air temperature control but many northern hemisphere tracks do. All Aussie indoor tracks are at sea level.

You want warm conditions as warmer air is less dense air, but not hot conditions as over an hour a rider pumping out 400-450W or more will overheat and their power will suffer. It's not really an issue for short duration events (e.g. Bobridge's 4km pursuit record at DGV 2011, I was racing at those championships and it was stinking hot inside, something like 38-40C at times in the afternoon).

Keep in mind a rider producing 400-450W is generating ~ 1200-1400W of heat. If it's hot dissipating all that waste heat becomes a problem. Once body core temp goes up, power declines, often substantially.

Who thinks Wiggins will really do his hour at the Palma Arena as rumoured a couple of months ago? Seemed a strange choice to me at first but he mentions in his book, his body just doesn't perform well above 1,600m. I'm assuming if Palma Arena is true, he's doing it because he has friends there, it's just down the road from his holiday home and he wants to keep it as relaxed as possible leading up to it?

samhocking said:
Who thinks Wiggins will really do his hour at the Palma Arena as rumoured a couple of months ago? Seemed a strange choice to me at first but he mentions in his book, his body just doesn't perform well above 1,600m. I'm assuming if Palma Arena is true, he's doing it because he has friends there, it's just down the road from his holiday home and he wants to keep it as relaxed as possible leading up to it?

Palma Arena in Majorca is at sea level, or close enough.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/OlympicTimeTrial.aspx

I know this is the results of the 2011 world's time trial
but it estimates Martin at 480. Wiggins at 460. Bobridge at 420.

Wiggins said he was shooting for 470 to 480 to beat Martin this year.
I guess he made his goal, right?

Voigt was probably just over 400. He did really step up in the last ten minutes. Really good pacing.

Even if Bobridge can do 440, it will still be shy of 53.

With all of these attempts, eventually someone will go out too fast and fade by the 40 minute mark. Once you are behind and in extreme suffering, the will to do 20 to 25 more minutes starts to quickly fade.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
Hour attempts

Jack Bobridge 1/31

Dennis Rohan 2/8

Alex Dowsett 2/27

Sarah Storey 2/28

By watts, only Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin can keep the record.
But, if anyone can ride at high altitude, they have a huge head start.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
By watts, only Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin can keep the record.
But, if anyone can ride at high altitude, they have a huge head start.
I think G (geraint thomas) and Ed Clancy would break the current one by about 2kms

TRENDING THREADS