• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How are the others going to beat Froome?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
Alberto needs to find another Fuente De moment somewhere within himself.

This is the ideal fuente de stage. By far the best stage profile in this tour, the beginning of that stage will be awesome ;)

PROFIL.png

What my gameplan would be as saxo is set sagan up front for the green in a big group. Some movistar and astana guys too.

Then contador attack on col de la morte with nibs and piti. Go full genius in the descent, go to the front group. Sagan etc pull in the valley and game's on.

3.1 kilometre-long climb at 8.4%, col de la morte profile. If they don't do anything with this stage...It would be awesome if it rains too btw :p

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
jsem94 said:

This is the ideal fuente de stage. By far the best stage profile in this tour, the beginning of that stage will be awesome ;)

PROFIL.png

What my gameplan would be as saxo is set sagan up front for the green in a big group. Some movistar and astana guys too.

Then contador attack on col de la morte with nibs and piti. Go full genius in the descent, go to the front group. Sagan etc pull in the valley and game's on.

3.1 kilometre-long climb at 8.4%, col de la morte profile. If they don't do anything with this stage...It would be awesome if it rains too btw :p

Your plan looks great on paper,but good luck with Valverde joining forces with Contador :rolleyes:

Miburo said:
jsem94 said:

PROFIL.png

Probably like a 2% of that happening, but one can always hope....

the biggest obstacle is froome fears only one thing - alberto reaching his top conditions. valverde and quintana considering how they've been riding so far cannot even make froome worry. all the teams against sky is just the forums dream fantasy. i expect ac to go all in at croix-de-fer, having sent the teammates up the road. alped'huez stage suits a long range attack very badly. i'm still convinced froome, bertie and nairito to be very close on the alpine stages. there won't be any supreme demonstrations from chris any more.

Miburo said:
Kwibus said:
We'll see in the alps what will happen. So far Froome is dominant, but you never know what will happen in the Alps.

Yesterday gave me hope, not that they're gonna actually crack him but that they try.

Movistar wasn't aiming to crack anyone else, they were 1-2 froome. Ok this won't work but in the alpes the terrain is absolutely perfect for longe range attacks.

A lot of will depend on piti i think. Will he risk a podium to do a long range attack?
History says no. That is the sad part.

If the Sky train rides hard on previous mountains it makes it very difficult for the long range attacks. Just like in the days of the US Postal train. Rode hard in the mountains before the final. Almost at threshold. So no chance for the long range attacks to be successful.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Zam_Olyas said:
Nibali fan and Contador fans wishing together now..singing kumbaya.... lol

Froomes simple act of trying to win brings us all together. Just think what he could do for civil rights! :D

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Problem is for the other GC contenders they don't looked capable of really able to challenge Froome. Poels, Porte and G Marshall proceedings well. Froome is rarely isolated, that's the only way the can get at him. That's not going to happen Sky's domestiques are to strong for that to happen. What was telling yesterday none of them had a real go at him. Nor looked really mentally strong enough.

I think Contador is the only one with the balls to attempt the long range attack that may be necessary to make up about three minutes on Froome. It has a low probability of success, but low is better than nothing.

I'm still puzzled at the lack of an ITT aside from the Prologue this year. That would provide another chance of a shakeup in the GC. Oh well.

I just looked at the weather forecast for the alpe dhuez and there will be a lot of rain next week it seems.

This could really cause mayhem next week. If riders attack on wet descents crazy stuff can happen. With Quintana still looking good and bad weather coming up I'd say it's not over yet.
I don't think Froome is a poor bikehandler, but if it's going to be bad weather it will certainly be an extra challenge for him.

How much time was it that Bardet gained on Froome on the Allos descent? 1 min 30?

Movistar should set a really high pace on the Allos, try to drop Froome's team-mates. Then Valverde attack over the top and on the descent, trying to gain about a minute on Froome. Quintana can sit on Froome as he tries to lead the descent and up Pra Loup - attacking him at the slightest sign of weakness. Might gain a minute or so that way.

Re:

DFA123 said:
How much time was it that Bardet gained on Froome on the Allos descent? 1 min 30?

Movistar should set a really high pace on the Allos, try to drop Froome's team-mates. Then Valverde attack over the top and on the descent, trying to gain about a minute on Froome. Quintana can sit on Froome as he tries to lead the descent and up Pra Loup - attacking him at the slightest sign of weakness. Might gain a minute or so that way.
Ideally something like that, yes. But three buts.

First Froome's doms LRP and Thomas more likely to drop Valv & Quintana than the other way round.

Second no one knows if Sky and Froome did their max in the Dauphine descent of Allos.

Third Froome most likely drops Quintana anyway in the final climb even if what you described plays out.

So while I'd like to see all these epic scenarios, I think unless fatigue or miss fortune catch up with Froome, rain & chaos are the only chances.

Re:

DFA123 said:

Two problems:
1.) 1 minute on pra loup is very unlikely especially if froome is just TT'ing up there
2.) even with one minute that would only be one third of the advantage.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

meat puppet said:
DFA123 said:

First Froome's doms LRP and Thomas more likely to drop Valv & Quintana than the other way round.

Second no one knows if Sky and Froome did their max in the Dauphine descent of Allos.

Third Froome most likely drops Quintana anyway in the final climb even if what you described plays out.

So while I'd like to see all these epic scenarios, I think unless fatigue or miss fortune catch up with Froome, rain & chaos are the only chances.

First: Based on what?
Second: If Valverde goes all out on the descent, isolated Froome will never catch him
Third: Froome will not drop Quintana in this Tour anymore

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
meat puppet said:
DFA123 said:

First: Based on what?
Second: If Valverde goes all out on the descent, isolated Froome will never catch him
Third: Froome will not drop Quintana in this Tour anymore
Let it go, that post is certainly a poor bait. ;)

TRENDING THREADS