• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How do you cope during the off season?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
How do you cope during the off season?

walk my dogs
spend time outside with my kids
ride when applicable
ride rollers
lose weight :eek:

lots of night rides road/mtb

fortunato_depero__poster_design_for_cicli_bianchi__1924.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In the winter I still ride my bike Wed, Saturday and Sunday, and spin 1 to 2 times a week. NBA just started back up (Go Celtics!!), the NFL is in full swing. NHL as well, but I don't really watch hockey till the playoffs start. Hopefully get to play some pickup hoops or football. But the #1 time consuming thing I will be doing this winter starts on December 7th...The new World of Warcraft expansion comes out..so like 12 million other idiots I'll be fighting pixels.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Probably watch some womens tennis and some autumn series rugby on TV and then get very bored.

Poking fun at the imbecile Mcquaid on internet forums is OK for a while but probably not enough. So basically I dont know but maybe put in some long running miles in preparation for next years Great South Run.

ingsve said:
I switch to winter sports namely cross country skiing and biathlon mainly. The two seasons complement each other rather well actually with only some downtime in late October early November, i.e. right now.

The season starts in three weeks doesn't it?

Last season was the first time I've ever really seen the Nordic events (Eurosport landed here late last year), I didn't watch them religiously until the Olympics though. If I start watching from the start of the season I will probably be hooked.

It would be good if someone decided to show Cyclo-Cross and Track WC events...

Cheer up though... TdU in 80 days, how exciting.

-play all video games i didn't get to play because i watched some cycling race instead
-play Pro cycling manager
-actually do something for my study
-work more (it's not like you have anything better to do)
-suggestion involving either tissues or a girlfriend/wife or a guy if your gay

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It's summer mate. Best time of the year.
Who needs the net ;)

ps. i love riding in the summer.
Unfortunately I have to put half a bottle of sunscreen to not get burnt. I am not too white but just burn easily!:(
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
don't think he's gay, but with cuddles involved anything is possible :p

...Say no More!:D

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Unfortunately I have to put half a bottle of sunscreen to not get burnt. I am not too white but just burn easily!:(

By all means, stay out of the sun and order some more cadel posters for your shrine.

auscyclefan94 said:

Just setup a tent outside Cadel's parents home in hopes of catching sight of him on one of his visits. Think of it as being like a pilgrimage to Mecca. Maybe he'll take pity on you and adopt you ala Brad and Angelina.;)

Focus on university.
Focus on other things.
Read forum, in the faint hope that there is a news story, or a interesting discussion.

If things go bad, remind oneself how great the cycling season will be once it starts. I will dwell on this a lot. I mean we have a 5 month wait but then

BANG

From mid March to the end of April we have Paris Nice, Tirreno SAME WEEK:)
MSR a few days later.
RVV
Pais Vasco
Paris Roubaix
Amstel Gold
Flech Walone
LBL
Romandie.

And no sooner does that end that the Main event begins. The race we are all waiting for. That alone will be worth the wait. And the season just gets better.

And those are just the biggest races.

If you go into withdrawal friends, think of this. The next bump is not far away and will be great.

-F1 2010 (absolutely hooked on that for now)
-PES 2011
-Starcraft 2
-Fallout: New Vegas
-Mass Effect 2: the new dlc'/addons I haven't tried out yet (like lair of the shadow broker)
-Dragon Age origins: same as ME2, have to try out new dlc's/addons
-Singularity
-Assassins Creed 2

those are on my list to do before december ends

Dekker_Tifosi said:
-F1 2010 (absolutely hooked on that for now)
-PES 2011
-Starcraft 2
-Fallout: New Vegas
-Mass Effect 2: the new dlc'/addons I haven't tried out yet (like lair of the shadow broker)
-Dragon Age origins: same as ME2, have to try out new dlc's/addons
-Singularity
-Assassins Creed 2

those are on my list to do before december ends

But what machine? PC? Playstation?

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as though I plan on racing on the road and track this summer, my summer week days will be something like this:

- Have a quick breakfast and spend time with fiancee
- Ride to work
- Work, but think about riding home
- Ride home
- Eat, spend time with fiancee, sleep
- Repeat ad nauseum

On the weekends:

- Ride for 3 hours
- Eat breakfast with aforementioned fiancee and then go do something
- Enjoy summer afternoons with friends having some BBQ and beers
- Take my bikes apart, clean them thoroughly, reassemble, smile at clean bikes
- Watch RVV and PR 2010, wish I was fast like Fabian
- Watch Giro di Lombardia 2010, wish I was fast like Philippe
- Sleep

Plus we'll go to the beach every now and again too. I'll be the guy with THOSE tan lines at the beach.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
XC skiing and Biathlon are a good substitute for cycling. You even get the occasional doping drama!

Ney the Viking said:
It's just annoying that Biathlon is always aired on times of the day thats impossible to follow for working people.

Damn you eurosport and your LIVE television :p

Ps. Neuner takes the World Cup this year!

Actually, most races are on weekends.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I am really struggling already without having some racing to talk about on this forum or an interesting issue to talk about. So I need some help! How do you cope during the off season?

I've been laying low for a few months due to a knee injury, but generally I cope by keeping myself physically active. In addition to riding, swimming and running, I ski and snowboard 4-5 times a week when the lifts are open. If I can't get outdoors, I do yoga and pilates or swim and workout at the gym. And if I'm really frustrated, I hole-up in my music room and play the heck out of my piano and drums.

How about a new hobby? Off-season's a great time to hit the restart button and try something different. I'm thinking about taking up photography to improve my cr@ppy race pixs.