• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How does a Charity sponsor a team?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Calm down - you will break your keyboard.

I never said anything negative about the LAF. Reading the charity watchdogs they appear to give the LAF a good rating.

My point is that it is not the LAF or Livestrong.org that is on the jerseys or is being promoted as the brand - it is simply Livestrong.

Again I think launching the Livestrong.com site is a smart way for the LAF to earn revenue. However, I do not see why Lance has to have any equity in the arrangement with Demand Media - he has amassed a fortune that is probably over $100 million during his career - I do not see why he needs to profit in any way through Demand Media.
From my point of view any funds generated should all go to the LAF.

Because of the association with Demand Media it calls in to question how much Lance is promoting the charity or how much he is promoting an arrangement he ultimately profits from.

i think you are the only idiot in world that thinks when they see "livestrong" that it's an ad for a website that makes lance rich from giving free health advice and selling a 2.99 diet tracking iphone app.

everybody in the world but you knows it's the word invented to represent his relation to cancer and his efforts that are cancer related.

as long as you indulge in such nonsense your opinions regarding anything lance related are worthless.

demand media doesn't appear to be hiding anything.
http://www.demandmedia.com/

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:
i think you are the only idiot in world that thinks when they see "livestrong" that it's an ad for a website that makes lance rich from giving free health advice and selling a 2.99 diet tracking iphone app.

everybody in the world but you knows it's the word invented to represent his relation to cancer and his efforts that are cancer related.

as long as you indulge in such nonsense your opinions regarding anything lance related are worthless.

It appears there are lots of idiots in this world. With Armstrong's comeback Livestrong has been everywhere. You would think that this would drive traffic to the .org site, but you would be wrong. The .com site has a significantly larger amount of traffic and is benefited much more from Armstrong's return.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Are you serious? Do you know who owns the major media outlets in the US?

It's not the liberals, chief.

+1

Who get's the $ from selling Livestrong kit? Nike, Lance or does it all go to charity?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carboncrank said:

Hey JackHammer111. Welcome back.

So - since I am "only idiot in world", what does 'Livestrong" 'advertise'?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The fact that there is so much confusion about this should be a concern.

Yes... I'm concerned that those who think this is an issue are kind of stupid. I'm not concerned about any wrong doing from Lance's charity.

There's lots of reasons to go after Lance. The LAF/Livestrong thing just isn't one of them.

kurtinsc said:
Yes... I'm concerned that those who think this is an issue are kind of stupid. I'm not concerned about any wrong doing from Lance's charity.

There's lots of reasons to go after Lance. The LAF/Livestrong thing just isn't one of them.

"What was revealed was that the team would be sponsored by Armstrong's charity, Livestrong, and by Trek bicycles, with the director sportif position going to former Armstrong teammate Axel Merckx."

This seems/appears to say that the team is sponsored by both Armstrong´s charity (LAF?), Liverstrong (which one). This is the primary question I have concerning where the team´s money is coming from.

A

Anonymous

Carboncrank said:

You are the only idiot here who doesn't understand the profit potential from a site like livestrong.com.

As long as you indulge in such stupidity, your opinions regarding anything are worthless.

And if this is jackhammer111, how is your girlfriend?

A

Anonymous

kurtinsc said:

I am concerned for the morons who cannot see the bastardization of a charity for profit motive for what it is.

There are lots of reasons to go after Lance. The LAF/Livestrong thing is a really good one.

A

Anonymous

Mountain Goat said:
Classic! How many times do we see that on a forum? Someone challenge someones view (twice) and ask them to back it up, and they crawl into a hole and give a backhanded insult on their way in there.

This is a real revelation about you TFF. You always have a condescending attitude towards people that disagree with you, and i've asked you to back up what your saying and you actually can't?... Nice work...

And you call me ignorant. Isn't repeatedly ignoring my questions ALSO ignorant?? I'll use one of your tricks by asking a question then answering it myself. I'll tell you the answer. Yes its ignorant.

Now i'll just wait for the usual tag-team to come in and defend you whilst they also throw out backhanded insults.

I will use your philosophy to make my point (its always really sweet when I get to do that): Charities function in a market, and because of that will use the most successful techniques to get the money they need. IF your model was best, they would be doing that. However, because of the tax breaks to individuals, and their purpose being to raise money for something that is not a product or service to the donor, they use the most effective method for their organization. If for profit would work better, they would do it...invisible hand and all. Or don't you believe in the drivel you spout? See, there is nothing that is stopping anyone from starting a for profit charity (is that an oxymoron?) except for the fact that it wouldn't work.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

Yeah, it's very mean spirited of people to go after this aspect of Armstrong's work.

PS. Try not to feed the troll that's just shown up. If we all ignore him he may go away.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Plus, he's really good at smearing people who are actually correct.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/the-trouble-with-sanjay-gupta/

This the best you could find on google to smear him with? It's hardly a major incident - reporters always get flack from somewhere. The McCain campaign also complained he was too hard on their plan during the campaign. Gupta went on Larry King to debate Michael Moore about his criticism of his report - how often do you see journalists doing that? He's a stand up guy.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

Only read this thread, because I was wondering how it could have gotten so long.

Where do you find the energy, Kurt? Good on ya.

People will hate something for any number of reasons. I've spoken with people who think vaccines are the product of corporate America taking over medicine (seriously). You can try for hours to explain immunology, microbiology, etc., but they don't listen. One thing I've learned is:

THERE IS NO CONVINCING THESE PEOPLE

They won't read a post on the internet and be convinced. You've explained the Nike sponsored car to Race Radio... 4 times? Race Radio still hasn't gotten it.

A

Anonymous

dienekes88 said:
Only read this thread, because I was wondering how it could have gotten so long.

Where do you find the energy, Kurt? Good on ya.

People will hate something for any number of reasons. I've spoken with people who think vaccines are the product of corporate America taking over medicine (seriously). You can try for hours to explain immunology, microbiology, etc., but they don't listen. One thing I've learned is:

THERE IS NO CONVINCING THESE PEOPLE

They won't read a post on the internet and be convinced. You've explained the Nike sponsored car to Race Radio... 4 times? Race Radio still hasn't gotten it.

You guys take the fact that your hero is a fraud pretty personally.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
You guys take the fact that your hero is a fraud pretty personally.

Holy hell. I have just read this thread over the week. And, I have to take a moment to seriously offer a bit of help or advice to you. I love to debate when a debate has merit or stance. But, honestly dude your hate and obsession is of a different nature. I can debate with most anybody on most anything. But, I can't debate with OCD. There are people that can help. You have the strongest hate for anyone person I think I have ever seen. And, I don't find it funny or sad. It's just what it is. I hope that you can get to a good place at some point to handle it.

I can tell you however that this forum is not a good start for you. But, it's quite obvious you have not much else to focus on in life than the "anti-christ" Lance Armstrong.

BTW, I won't be getting pulled into your drivel and obsession on this one. Anybody with a little understanding and straight thinking can read it for themselves. I hope you eventually can see through it as well. Hate only kills. Sadly it usually kills the hater faster than what they hate.

Good luck to you. I won't be debating with you anymore. I just don't find it entertaining anymore to feed your sickness. I won't have that on my heart.

jpmcmahonjr said:
Holy hell. I have just read this thread over the week. And, I have to take a moment to seriously offer a bit of help or advice to you. I love to debate when a debate has merit or stance. But, honestly dude your hate and obsession is of a different nature. I can debate with most anybody on most anything. But, I can't debate with OCD. There are people that can help. You have the strongest hate for anyone person I think I have ever seen. And, I don't find it funny or sad. It's just what it is. I hope that you can get to a good place at some point to handle it.

I can tell you however that this forum is not a good start for you. But, it's quite obvious you have not much else to focus on in life than the "anti-christ" Lance Armstrong.

BTW, I won't be getting pulled into your drivel and obsession on this one. Anybody with a little understanding and straight thinking can read it for themselves. I hope you eventually can see through it as well. Hate only kills. Sadly it usually kills the hater faster than what they hate.

Good luck to you. I won't be debating with you anymore. I just don't find it entertaining anymore to feed your sickness. I won't have that on my heart.

For myself, I think that even though Armstrong personally enriches himself from his charity, the charity work is still the best thing that he does. The only one of his activities that probably does more good than harm in the world. That said it is still amazing to me that every fanboy in sight feels it is incumbent upon them to rush to Armstrong's defense at the slightest hint of anyone seeing him as anything less than a saint. They obsess and obsess and then tell the "haters" to get a life and stop obsessing. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

A

Anonymous

jpmcmahonjr said:

Who are you exactly? You obviously think I am impacted by your words and future refusal to "debate" me. I hate to break it to you, but you just aren't that big of a deal. Happy trails!

Mmmm, its tasty!
Haterade.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
is it not the case that the lance armstrong foundation is one of the top charities when it comes to wasting donations before it gets put to use for the cause??

someone had a link to this table once, wouldn't mind seeing it again
imo laf = a fraud

No, it is not the case. The LAF is middle-of-the-road among charities for its efficiency rating. It's certainly not wasting donations. You can look up these things on the internet.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
See, there is nothing that is stopping anyone from starting a for profit charity (is that an oxymoron?) except for the fact that it wouldn't work.

You contradict yourself. If LA was enriching himself from his charity, it would not be a nonprofit. It would be a for-profit corporation, and the IRS would be taxing it as any other corporation.

Since you and people like you have no doubt reported these allegations of self-dealing to the IRS, they have no doubt investigated them and found you to be full of ****.

Or maybe you haven't reported it to the IRS, only to this forum. Sorry to tell you but nobody here has the authority to make your fantisies come true. Try the IRS.

derailleur said:
You contradict yourself. If LA was enriching himself from his charity, it would not be a nonprofit. It would be a for-profit corporation, and the IRS would be taxing it as any other corporation.

Since you and people like you have no doubt reported these allegations of self-dealing to the IRS, they have no doubt investigated them and found you to be full of ****.

Or maybe you haven't reported it to the IRS, only to this forum. Sorry to tell you but nobody here has the authority to make your fantisies come true. Try the IRS.

I am sure the for profit Livestrong.com that Lance owns a part of pays it's taxes, that is the beauty of the whole set-up. Lance has his big charity and he makes money from the other site with the same name, he is doing well by doing good.

A

Anonymous

derailleur said:

No, I didn't. You are just not smart figure out that my statement had nothing to do with livestrong.com. Sucks for you.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
derailleur said:

Non-profits, including charities, are allowed to pay employees and principles salaries (sometimes very generous ones).

A mega church near me was paying the founder over $250,000 plus cars, a motor bike, and other perks. He got booted out by the congregation after he had out of wedlock affairs.

I did read somwhere that Lance does not draw a salary from his charity or charities.

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:

Very well said.....

TRENDING THREADS