• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How does this affair play out, submissions and expectations

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How you reckon this imbroglio plays out chaps.

Are the legacy guys of USPS gonna lie on the the guillotine? Is Pat and the UCI head honchos gonna say goodbye to their salubrious surrounds, or they gonna ride it out and circle the wagons playing brinkmanship with foreign prosecutors?

Who is gonna take the fall?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:

Are the legacy guys of USPS gonna lie on the the guillotine? Is Pat and the UCI head honchos gonna say goodbye to their salubrious surrounds, or they gonna ride it out and circle the wagons playing brinkmanship with foreign prosecutors?

Looking up the vocabulary words and I'll be right back :eek:

blackcat said:

Brinkmanship.

Whilst in the case of Valv-Piti, there's no support for the rider from the UCI, it will be the complete opposite for Hog and Lance. Gotta fightback.

If Hog and LA go, Pat Mc**** goes too.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
1. We'll learn that some of the stuff Landis claims is true.
2. We'll learn that some of the stuff Landis claims is pure bull****
3. We'll be left wondering about some of his claims
4. No one "involved" will be sanctioned by their governing body, though a few reputations will be damaged.
5. Bruyneel and Armstrong will continue to deny, while the folks at Garmin and Sky will act as if they are just too good, too wholesome nowadays to be bothered with the past...nevermind the needle marks.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
eleven said:
4. No one "involved" will be sanctioned by their governing body, though a few reputations will be damaged.
5. Bruyneel and Armstrong will continue to deny, while the folks at Garmin and Sky will act as if they are just too good, too wholesome nowadays to be bothered with the past...nevermind the needle marks.

6. Jeff Novitski resigns from his appointed low paying gov. job and resurfaces later in a pallacial new crib in Austin, Texas where his newly formed private practice is thriving!

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Not much will happen until more USPS riders retire. Most of them are still active in one way or another, and active riders tend to want to protect their current job.

But down the road most people will want to tell their story and get the truth out. Most of the Telekom riders confessed eventually. Even Riis, who had his tour win to protect confessed, but it did take some 11 years for him to do so. If we apply that time horizon to lances last win we'll see something in, oh 2016 ;)
Armstrong wont confess, of course, because he has too much invested in his image as "The Pure One". But I predict more and more of his teammates will talk (zabriskie, heras, hamilton etc.) and deconstruct that in years to come.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
American prison, French prison, Swiss prison, lawsuits to recover money from sponsorships and lawsuits won previously. Team Radio Shack gone. UCI restructured, with Biological Passport independent.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ultimately, I think Floyd's alleged quick text was pretty prescient: Big Tex is going to jail.

I don't see Armstrong ever admitting guilt. He seems like the sorta guy who will go down swinging, and go down with the ship. His entire existence is predicated on his oft-repeated line that "he never took performance enhancing drugs". It's just too late to shift gears to "I was just leveling the playing field".

I also think there are just way too many people out there who will now come forward. It's one thing to keep up the Big Lie so you can keep your crappy job in cycling, your sports marketing job, or your low-paid announcing job. It's another to keep up the charade and risk going to jail.

I also think the SCA case opens up some serious potential charges; fraud, witness tampering, perjury to name a few. And I think the lawyers who "lost" the SCA case will do whatever they can for redemption.

I suspect that as with Marion Jones, Bonds, Tim Montgomery etc, it won't be the doping that brings them down, it will be some other aspect of their lives which will bring them down.

Ultimately, the 'local' federation inquiries will go the same way as OP - that is to say that one fed might find a rider guilty, while for the most part the federations will look after 'their boys'. Hog, McQuaid etc will survive simply because they have too many friends, and they could implicate too many other people.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong will retire once again very soon, Bruyneel will disappear from the limelight but rev up his coaching business. Garmin will continue with their holier-than-thou attitude, and McQuaid will keep uttering stupid statements while raking the dough. The investigation will linger on for years but no big name will go down.

Not much will change in other words.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Its difficult to come out with coherent comments on people that you regard as a joke but I'll have a go.. So yes corrupt and inept administrators always seem to get away with it so i dont expect anything to happen to Mcquaid. I suspect he will disappear very silently in the next year or so and not get banged up.

As for Texstrong, i dont know as I'm past caring on that guy.
So maybe put the Head guy at BP in charge at the UCI to improve things, he cant do any worse.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Quickfix said:
6. Jeff Novitski resigns from his appointed low paying gov. job and resurfaces later in a pallacial new crib in Austin, Texas where his newly formed private practice is thriving!

That's completely and utterly impossible, inane and ridiculous. Downright slanderous! Everybody knows Novitski is a So Cal guy.

MarkGreen0

BANNED
May 28, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
not if StrongArm goes down, one expects him to rip Contador down with him.

Go long on Andy Schleck.

Maybe Armstrong could get immunity to take down AC.

We could get 'I heart Armstrong' T-shirts made up.

this_is_edie said:
Armstrong will retire once again very soon, Bruyneel will disappear from the limelight but rev up his coaching business. Garmin will continue with their holier-than-thou attitude, and McQuaid will keep uttering stupid statements while raking the dough. The investigation will linger on for years but no big name will go down.

Not much will change in other words.

I have the bad feeling that you'll be proven right.

If this were solely a doping investigation, I think edie might be right.
However, it's moved well beyond that. This is now an investigation into fraud and perhaps racketeering. That's a whole different story. There are a lot of government people very motivated to show that tax dollars are going to good use.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:

Why would he bother to lie at this point?

The charge that LA doped is sensational enough.

Which accusations do you suggest are bs?

You're overthinking this.

The biggest Landis revelation was the microdosing to evade the biological passport. You didn't think these guys are cleaning up their act, did you?

May 29, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that's clear to me at this point is that after watching that brief Allen Lim interview there's no way that guy's going to jail. He'll cut a deal and sing like a canary before he gets the faintest whiff of Bubba.

TRENDING THREADS