• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How Fitting

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just reading the cyclingnews.com article on TeamSky's line-up for the Vuelta. Low and behold it's an 'english team'. Yet if Cav or Thomas wins anything its all of a sudden a 'British win'. Not Isle of Man or Welsh?? Same went for Scots Robert Millar and Greame Obree. Yet when Chris Hoy wins or Chris Board won it's an english victory??? Whats up with that? :confused:

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
You might be making too big a deal of it. People not from the UK often (incorrectly) use British and English interchangeably, so perhaps he writer was from elsewhere.

Its like calling Andy Schleck German or French, cause that's what he is. :rolleyes:

boardhanger said:
Just reading the cyclingnews.com article on TeamSky's line-up for the Vuelta. Low and behold it's an 'english team'. Yet if Cav or Thomas wins anything its all of a sudden a 'British win'. Not Isle of Man or Welsh?? Same went for Scots Robert Millar and Greame Obree. Yet when Chris Hoy wins or Chris Board won it's an english victory??? Whats up with that? :confused:

Generally whenever a sportsman does well he's suddenly considered British (look at Murray) it's a just a form of nationalism that is pretty common, in pure numbers the English are the vast majority of the UK so much of the stuff that comes out is by Brits and if they don't have any English success it only makes sense they 'claim' it.

Also incidentally I don't think anyone (except for falsely informed people) ever called Chris Hoy English as he's a Scot from Edinburgh.

(It's also a bit similar to the US where there's a very strong state pride, but whenever there are competitions with the rest of the world it's all American)

What is the big deal in Britain with this? The chances are, people outside of Britain making this mistake are doing so out of ignorance, and most English people who make this mistake probably don't even realise they're doing it. Only a minority will be doing it out of malice.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
This is quite easily explained. Anyone from Britain except the English are British when they win. When they loose they are referred to as Scottish or Welsh (by the English).

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
What is the big deal in Britain with this? The chances are, people outside of Britain making this mistake are doing so out of ignorance, and most English people who make this mistake probably don't even realise they're doing it. Only a minority will be doing it out of malice.

Actually primo, it's goes back to a form of propaganda instilled by the british regime way back. If its a person from Northern Ireland Scotland, Wales or Isle of Mann and Jersey wins. No credit goes to that particular area. But 'Britain gets the glory. Now if it's an english winner then England get the glory. I never hear Manchester United being called British. Yet Celtic FC from Scotland are known as the first british winners of the European Cup?? Not first scotish winners??. Untill this mentality is changed then many will speak out about it. Its nothing personnal. Just business.

But Celtic are the first British winners of the European Cup as well as being the first Scottish winners.

If you're the first British winners, you are de facto the first Scottish winners, surely? I've heard many an English person credited as a Briton when they win or lose. Nobody bats an eyelid when that happens, but when it's one of the other nationalities, it is noticed, which is why it's prevalent. It may come from the most popular sports being ones where each British nation plays individually, though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish the division in Belgium was as widely known in the world as the division in the United kingdom.

Instead everyone seems to think we Belgians are a bunch of French pussies or something. Although most cycling fans will know of it because of the huge amount of Flemish flags and the Flemish classics.

Libertine Seguros said:

To the OP Chris Hoy is a Scot.

To Lib Seg, the big deal for the non Anglos in Britain is the ignorance/arrogance of the English press/media on this point. NOT the English. Maybe it's wee country syndrome;) But we do punch above our respective weights.

And there is also in this case just lazy journalism.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
To the OP Chris Hoy is a Scot.

To Lib Seg, the big deal for the non Anglos in Britain is the ignorance/arrogance of the English press/media on this point. NOT the English. Maybe it's wee country syndrome;) But we do punch above our respective weights.

And there is also in this case just lazy journalism.

....ooops Sorry MrHoy !! Take away all the non-anglo brits and where does that leave british cycling?

Chris Hoy and all the other Non-English are all on British Passports (and so are all the English for that matter). They're not on Scottish or Welsh passports as such things don't exist.

Neither Scotland nor Wales are independant nations in their own right - the Kingdom of Scotland ceded its independence to the English back in the 1700's and have never received it back. Wales is only a principality.
This may be why at international events they all compete as Team GB??
(The only reason that the World Cup is different was due to trying to increase numbers in its formation many years ago.)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
If its a person from Northern Ireland Scotland, Wales or Isle of Mann and Jersey wins. .... But 'Britain gets the glory.

And this is also wrong, because Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not part of (Great) Britain. The sports team that goes to the Olympics etc should be team UK, not team GB. It's not surprising that most British people are confused about the distinction.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Square-pedaller said:
And this is also wrong, because Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not part of (Great) Britain. The sports team that goes to the Olympics etc should be team UK, not team GB. It's not surprising that most British people are confused about the distinction.

My point exactly. Create confusion. It's a British win to the World. But an English win to the world when it's an English rider. Why :confused:

Crikey, this thread is bonkers!

I am a British national born in England, which is a part the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

And that's "Great" as in "Wider" not as in "Brilliant".

To call His Bigness Sir Ship A Hoy "British" is correct but quite general as it goes to his nationality. To call him a "Scot" is also correct and more specific as it goes to his domicile.

Today I live in Bruxelles/Brussel/Brüssel, an administrative region, an administrative city, originally a Flemish city and now the capital of Belgium (which consists of the Flemish and Walloon and German administrative regions a plethora of original kingdoms and duchies) and unofficially of the European Union of which there are 27 Member States each with its own capital and 23 official and 3 unofficial languages spoken. All of which is much harder to deal with. :)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
My point exactly. Create confusion. It's a British win to the World. But an English win to the world when it's an English rider. Why :confused:

So many questions, you're like an inquisitive little kid.

By Libertine Seguros -.Is it really though? I don't differentiate between Wiggins being "English" and Millar being "British". They're both British to me.
Most people get this but i dont think Boredhanger has the mental capacity to understand this.

several minutes out of my life reading this garbage thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts