• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Contador won because he showed guts, never give up. And winning a GT means consistency, btw without boni sec Contador was ahead anyways ;)

forget about this argument. once he won the tour on bonuses ;) :D

Telmisartan new said:
Your a clown,you indulge in a very simplistic form of baiting/trolling that doesnt interest me,i am not prepared to have a serious discussion with someone that constantly spouts rubbish and who i have not one iota of respect for.As far as i can see, your here to play to the crowd,you can safely assume i will not be speaking to you again.This forum has some interesting people on it who i enjoy listening to and who can educate me but you are not one of them.

Im pretty sure Airstream generally is considered to be a troll, looks like quite a lot of people just seem to ignore him. He's quite good at trolling though.

Im quite sure he is just as annoying in real life though.

airstream said:
you exalt suspension while not mentioning about freshness whatsoever. is it objective, what do you think?

it's an utopian idealism. a rider is good to the extent his opponents let him to be good, if a day. and what will you say if let's assume he will lose? that he's not 'healthy and fit" lol? and then who will recall unfit and unhealthy ex kenyan guy, who was slowly dying in the third week of the vuelta and finished the fourth?? correct, no one. and sometimes i feel like it's needed to be rooted for just out the interest of what fans will cook up and whom they will accuse.

based on 2 last seasons i consider froome to be the strongest gt rider and that would be very hilarious to be called a hypocrite or a hater as people likes to do on here.

I think you sometimes purposely choose to make these outlandish statements and find entertainment in the furor that they create. You can't seriously believe what I've bolded in your post. I think it's your belief (or more accurately, it's your hope) that Contador is a figment of the imagination of those that enjoy watching him compete, and that he will soon be exposed as just another also-ran in the Tour in the future. You seemed to have hitched your wagon to the Froome Express likely as a result of Andy's phantom 2012 season and the prospects of his being unable to ever win the Tour in his career.:p Froome is your choice as the rider that you will root for to quiet the support that Contador has in this forum, an issue that no doubt causes you great discomfort based on your inability to resist reintroducing this discomfort into half of your posts in some way or another as if by doing so maybe the support for Contador will evaporate.;)

Alpehue said:
Im pretty sure Airstream generally is considered to be a troll, looks like quite a lot of people just seem to ignore him. He's quite good at trolling though.

I don't really consider Airstream to be a troll. He's actually quite knowledgeable about the sport and details of the characteristics of the various mountains that are a part of many of the races, much more than myself but I've never been to Europe to have first hand experience in that way. Still, as I posted earlier, he has major issue with how Contador is supported here and it seems to really bother him for some reason. I'd hazard a guess that every one of the posts that have been categorized as "trolling" (not by me) have been about Contador.

Alpehue said:

Thanks for the heads up.I have only been here a few months and have been enjoying getting to know different posters. Unfortunately the subtle art of debate is lost on him, he's unable to present a coherent argument for his outlandish views, his modus operandi is to repeat the same hollow points like a mantra to see how many people take the bait.Its a pointless strategy, self-defeating,he ends up marginalised as nobody respects his views.Ignoring him is the best policy as you correctly say.:)

Angliru said:
I think you sometimes purposely choose to make these outlandish statements and find entertainment in the furor that they create. You can't seriously believe what I've bolded in your post. I think it's your belief (or more accurately, it's your hope) that Contador is a figment of the imagination of those that enjoy watching him compete, and that he will soon be exposed as just another also-ran in the Tour in the future. You seemed to have hitched your wagon to the Froome Express likely as a result of Andy's phantom 2012 season and the prospects of his being unable to ever win the Tour in his career.:p Froome is your choice as the rider that you will root for to quiet the support that Contador has in this forum, an issue that no doubt causes you great discomfort based on your inability to resist reintroducing this discomfort into half of your posts in some way of another as if by doing so maybe the support for Contador will evaporate.;)

This is definitely the case,at the start of my discussion with Airstream before his constant refrain that 5(7) GT's mean nothing i asked him to acknowledge that it was a serious dislike of Contador that was his motivation for posting in this thread but he has yet to admit that and nor will he i suspect.I said from the outset that Froome was a "top stage-racer" given recent results but he still can't see the obvious difference between a champion and a contender.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
I think you sometimes purposely choose to make these outlandish statements and find entertainment in the furor that they create. You can't seriously believe what I've bolded in your post. I think it's your belief (or more accurately, it's your hope) that Contador is a figment of the imagination of those that enjoy watching him compete, and that he will soon be exposed as just another also-ran in the Tour in the future. You seemed to have hitched your wagon to the Froome Express likely as a result of Andy's phantom 2012 season and the prospects of his being unable to ever win the Tour in his career.:p Froome is your choice as the rider that you will root for to quiet the support that Contador has in this forum, an issue that no doubt causes you great discomfort based on your inability to resist reintroducing this discomfort into half of your posts in some way of another as if by doing so maybe the support for Contador will evaporate.;)

absolutely not. you know how i posted when i joined cn so nothing changed. no doubt, there are some people who reason like me, but they prefer not to discuss with pro contador majority, but i'm here to polemize so i do that. imo, froome is already stronger in terms of the tour (other races don' interest me much). surely, it's about a general impression, not about wattages or numbers. you can't measure all the things by numbers. all the more so, sometimes it's just stupid. but when one posts wheeze about 'nowadays 10 min is an objective difference between gt rider contador and gt rider froome', i'm not going to keep silent. fans made up kingdom of crooked mirrors in order to divinize their idol and denegrate his rivals, using any any very tiny factor. naturally, none of us can affect on other's opinion, but not to discuss some controversial issues, why not?

Telmisartan new said:
at the start of my discussion with Airstream before his constant refrain that 5(7) GT's mean nothing
where did i say this? i was saying "titles don't gt's instead of riders". no difference?

contador fans calling me a troll due to the fact i'm not a contador fan. cooool )

Telmisartan new said:
This is definitely the case,at the start of my discussion with Airstream before his constant refrain that 5(7) GT's mean nothing i asked him to acknowledge that it was a serious dislike of Contador that was his motivation for posting in this thread but he has yet to admit that and nor will he i suspect.I said from the outset that Froome was a "top stage-racer" given recent results but he still can't see the obvious difference between a champion and a contender.

Airstream just loves to start polemics; it's his way; he enjoys it.....I finally put him on Ignore, but people quote him so it doesn't work, I end up seeing what he says LOL.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he is quite knowledgeable about the sport, just dislikes Alberto (or certainly appears to!) and seems to take Contrary views just to raise a polemic....

Meanwhile an on form Alberto, barring illness and injury has No Peer in the current peloton; physically and certainly not mentally. That may change so let's enjoy his exploits while we can :) 5 More Alberto!!!

airstream said:
contador fans calling me a troll due to the fact i'm not a contador fan. cooool )

I dident call you a troll because you dont support Contador, or any other rider for that matter. I called you a troll because of the way you speak to people, and how you seem to love starting a argument in any thread you can find. Sometimes i suspect you of actually not caring, just enjoying going against whatever X person is saying.

You just did it again by the way. Noone said you were a troll due to not liking contador, so why state it? unless you aim to start a argument again? and the excesive use of o's in cool dosent exactly make you less of a troll, all it does is make you appear to a young troll.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
one has its way on the forum. someone enjoys discussing, other enjoys communicating with confreres on cheering for some rider, etc. i'm here to argue cos exactly diversity of opinions creates the forum.

airstream said:
one has its way on the forum. someone enjoys discussing, other enjoys communicating with confreres on cheering for some rider, etc. i'm here to argue cos exactly diversity of opinions creates the forum.

...but how is it an argument or even a discussion when you constantly interject your obvious dislike of the contigent of posters (and/or their opinions), of which I'm guessing I'm included, that are passionate admirers of Contador and their, in your opinion, over-the-top and biased perspectives? It is only in matters related to this one rider that you go off the rails. It's almost as if you somehow think that by constantly stating your annoyance with this faction, that maybe you're hoping they will see the light (your perspective) and be rescued from what you seem to imply is their miserable existences of supporting a rider you deem unworthy of such a passionate following.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
it's not a fight, just a peaceful exchange of opinions.

Angliru said:
...but how is it an argument or even a discussion when you constantly interject your obvious dislike of the contigent of posters (and/or their opinions), of which I'm guessing I'm included, that are passionate admirers of Contador and their, in your opinion, over-the-top and biased perspectives? It is only in matters related to this one rider that you go off the rails. It's almost as if you somehow think that by constantly stating your annoyance with this faction, that maybe you're hoping they will see the light (your perspective) and be rescued from what you seem to imply is their miserable existences of supporting a rider you deem unworthy of such a passionate following.

because you turn a blind eye to opponents. the stance sort of 'when he's fit and healthy, the others are doomed to be far behind' is the biggest possible delusion to go into. does he have an empire to get rid of any as lance had or something? i can understand this like demonstration of fan enthusiasm, but when it's taken like the only correct viewpoint, naturally, debates (or fight, as you call this) are sometimes inevitable. but if he loses, you will necessarily explain this with "unfitness" or feeling unwell. you know, a giant contradiction is lied in all that. what role of rivals then? i'm trying to be objective. at last, we all base on the same facts, just see them differently.

airstream said:
it's not a fight, just a peaceful exchange of opinions

I retract my earlier post about not speaking to you again.The consensus here is that you are young and misguided,in your own words "I'm here to argue" Where do you go from there with a comment like that.I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt,perhaps its some sort of affliction you have where Contador is concerned,reasonably rational until he's mentioned.Anyway,i digress,you've been given a couple of character references of sorts,so let's see what your all about.A good starting point would be to start reading other people's posts properly, you accused me of been disparaging towards Froome yet in every post i have made i have been complimentary about his stage-racing qualities,the point i made to you was that he isn't YET a winner whereas Contador wins nearly every time he hears the starting gun.You are entitled to your views,conflicting opinions stimulate debate but don't treat me or anyone else like fools as it detracts from the discussion.Contador, Lord of Saxobank will win at least 6 more GT's.Why? Its what he does.....;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72JgmJdKVbk&feature=related

airstream said:
it's not a fight, just a peaceful exchange of opinions.

because you turn a blind eye to opponents. the stance sort of 'when he's fit and healthy, the others are doomed to be far behind' is the biggest possible delusion to go into. does he have an empire to get rid of any as lance had or something? i can understand this like demonstration of fan enthusiasm, but when it's taken like the only correct viewpoint, naturally, debates (or fight, as you call this) are sometimes inevitable. but if he loses, you will necessarily explain this with "unfitness" or feeling unwell. you know, a giant contradiction is lied in all that. what role of rivals then? i'm trying to be objective. at last, we all base on the same facts, just see them differently.

You apparently see only what you want to see, creating scenario's and perspectives that you feel others have that are skewed by some bizarre persecution complex combined with an obvious disdain for anything and anyone that shows any degree of support for Contador. You are applying statements and beliefs to me that I haven't posted. When everyone was posting their prognostications on who would win the Vuelta, I said that I thought that Contador would win. I don't recall ever saying that he would leave his opponents far behind. What I recall saying is that he would build his form and peak in the 3rd week. You yourself supported Cobo if I am correct or at least he was who you were rooting for but also mentioning you weren't sure of his form leading up to the start.

I think you confuse enthusiastic support with actual belief. There is a certain level of "smack talk" that ensues before a big event with each side building up their champion(s). It's hype for the most part and they're usually followed by ;) or :D or :). I'm sure you yourself have been a participant.

I stated to you in the past that I sometimes have a problem deciphering your actual meaning and/or intent due to our language barrier. I've noticed others don't have this same issue so I will try harder to read further into your posts. We've exchanged pm's in the past asking for elaboration on our posts just to make it clear we understand one another. I will do this more often just to avoid any unncecessary hard feelings or confrontations.

You obviously know your stuff but you just need to open your eyes to what is this era's greatest competitor and stage racer. Don't let others' perspectives interfere with your enjoying Contador's excellence. He can't help what he inspires in some of his fans. He's just out there trying to win.:)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
You apparently see only what you want to see, creating scenario's and perspectives that you feel others have that are skewed by some bizarre persecution complex combined with an obvious disdain for anything and anyone that shows any degree of support for Contador. You are applying statements and beliefs to me that I haven't posted. When everyone was posting their prognostications on who would win the Vuelta, I said that I thought that Contador would win. I don't recall ever saying that he would leave his opponents far behind. What I recall saying is that he would build his form and peak in the 3rd week. You yourself supported Cobo if I am correct or at least he was who you were rooting for but also mentioning you weren't sure of his form leading up to the start.

I think you confuse enthusiastic support with actual belief. There is a certain level of "smack talk" that ensues before a big event with each side building up their champion(s). It's hype for the most part and they're usually followed by ;) or :D or :). I'm sure you yourself have been a participant.

I stated to you in the past that I sometimes have a problem deciphering your actual meaning and/or intent due to our language barrier. I've noticed others don't have this same issue so I will try harder to read further into your posts. We've exchanged pm's in the past asking for elaboration on our posts just to make it clear we understand one another. I will do this more often just to avoid any unncecessary hard feelings or confrontations.

You obviously know your stuff but you just need to open your eyes to what is this era's greatest competitor and stage racer. Don't let others' perspectives interfere with your enjoying Contador's excellence. He can't help what he inspires in some of his fans. He's just out there trying to win.:)

By saying 'you', i meant contador fans in general, because their stances can not coincide in terms of some intricacies as well, though i know you [Angliru] treat lie of the land quite rightly without redundant fanatism. possibly, i see what you (fans) don't see. say, factor of freshness was providently swept under the carpet, however a notorious 'no miles in legs' thingy was mentioned millions of times. again, froome's post tour condition was lowered too and one even handled this as natural difference between contador and froome. the same with valverde, who surprised with his strength even more than contador since valverde didn't walk in the tour. he desperately fought as he could and always finished among 10-12 best climbers, but the stage to la toussuire. nonetheless, there was the only conclusion regarding the 2013 tour. seriously, it's very funny to read without being a fan, believe me. there's no disdain, we are all equal on here, but apparently some posters really don't see how they distort reality. once roundabout said that part of contador fans really can not admit that his rivals can make suffer and drop him cos he is impossible to drop when he's ok or feels good. there's kernel in that cue actually. some of you (fans) do like to feed this myth intentionally or not. yes, sometimes, i may be wrong and probably argue too often, but nonetheless we can not debate about obvious things (results and so on) so it's ok to discuss on disputed matters i think. yes, i supported cobo but clear that any support to him is always associated with a certain degree of humor and irony. to be honest, i'm amazed by contador's power of self-persuasion but it seems better to be posted in other section.

yes, language barrier sadly exists. well, sorry, i really do my best.

airstream said:
By saying 'you', i meant contador fans in general, because their stances can not coincide in terms of some intricacies as well, though i know you [Angliru] treat lie of the land quite rightly without redundant fanatism. possibly, i see what you (fans) don't see. say, factor of freshness was providently swept under the carpet, however a notorious 'no miles in legs' thingy was mentioned millions of times. again, froome's post tour condition was lowered too and one even handled this as natural difference between contador and froome. the same with valverde, who surprised with his strength even more than contador since valverde didn't walk in the tour. he desperately fought as he could and always finished among 10-12 best climbers, but the stage to la toussuire. nonetheless, there was the only conclusion regarding the 2013 tour. seriously, it's very funny to read without being a fan, believe me. there's no disdain, we are all equal on here, but apparently some posters really don't see how they distort reality. once roundabout said that part of contador fans really can not admit that his rivals can make suffer and drop him cos he is impossible to drop when he's ok or feels good. there's kernel in that cue actually. some of you (fans) do like to feed this myth intentionally or not. yes, sometimes, i may be wrong and probably argue too often, but nonetheless we can not debate about obvious things (results and so on) so it's ok to discuss on disputed matters i think. yes, i supported cobo but clear that any support to him is always associated with a certain degree of humor and irony. to be honest, i'm amazed by contador's power of self-persuasion but it seems better to be posted in other section.

yes, language barrier sadly exists. well, sorry, i really do my best.

I agree with you. Have said it before, when Contador is in a race and another climber wins, Contador fans will argue that Contador only gifted the stage, or in extreme cases he wasn't in his best form, but never concede that there are other good climbers that can beat Contador on equal grounds on some days.

I love your colorful language by the way, don't worry about it.

Arnout said:
I agree with you. Have said it before, when Contador is in a race and another climber wins, Contador fans will argue that Contador only gifted the stage, or in extreme cases he wasn't in his best form, but never concede that there are other good climbers that can beat Contador on equal grounds on some days.

I love your colorful language by the way, don't worry about it.

As irational as contador fans.might often be, arguing that a 7.time gt winner is not at his best when he loses a mountain stage to janez brajkovic or pierre Roland, really is not as ridiculous as you make out.

The Hitch said:
As irational as contador fans.might often be, arguing that a 7.time gt winner is not at his best when he loses a mountain stage to janez brajkovic or pierre Roland, really is not as ridiculous as you make out.

Well people claimed that he could have catched Anton on Zoncolan but he didnt ride because to play with Nibali, which was utterly ridiculous :eek:

burning said:
Well people claimed that he could have catched Anton on Zoncolan but he didnt ride because to play with Nibali, which was utterly ridiculous :eek:

Yeah, thats 1 example, we are going to need a bit more than that to justify the posts above which act as if its a regular occurence. Maybe Contador really was just outsprinted by Rujano on Grossglockner and couldnt hold Tiralongos wheel on macanuga.

That was 1 example, i want to see 10 others or some comments being retracted.

As for Zoncolan Contador put minutes into everyone at will on the previous mountain stages, and rode away from everyone for kicks and gigles on the next 2, as well as winning the mountain tt by half a minute having been 30 down at the bottom of the climb.

I know some of you are such big Anton fans that you take it personally, but honestly you find it that ridiculous to suggest Contador, especially on his Giro 2011 from, could not have kept up with Anton on Zoncolan?

And if you want to cry that anyone who reached that conclusion is some blind biased Contador fan, i will respond by suggesting that the reason yall cling so tight to this notion that fuji outclimbed Contador on 1 gt stage, might be because that, and dropping old man Marzio from a weak *** breakaway 3 months later, are the most recent memories of his talent that yall are left with.

gooner said:
Notice how some Contador fans will use the Giro as an reason for him not performing in the Tour in 2011 while at the same time they won't allow people to use Froome being cooked in the Vuelta coming off the Tour as a genuine reason for him not perfoming in the second half of the race.

Who on earth did not allow people to use Froomes exhaustion as an excuse during the Vuelta? I do not recall seeing any such posts.

And most Contador fans seem to me to like Froome anyway.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Notice how some Contador fans will use the Giro as an reason for him not performing in the Tour in 2011 while at the same time they won't allow people to use Froome being cooked in the Vuelta coming off the Tour as a genuine reason for him not perfoming in the second half of the race.

Actually Contador crashed about 5 times and lost almost 2 minutes in the first stage alone because of a crash.

Froome finished 10 minutes down on Contador at the Vuelta.

It's not nearly as silly as you make it out to be.

Giro-Tour combo is also harder than the Tour-Vuelta combo. That year's Giro was also one of the hardest modern Giro's.

The Hitch said:
Who on earth did not allow people to use Froomes exhaustion as an excuse during the Vuelta? I do not recall seeing any such posts.

hmmm, seems like i was wrong. I apologize.

Seems such idiots do exist afterall, though i would protest that it is a very small % of fans. 99% of people understand that the if Froome comes 9 minutes down on Alejandro Valverde, he clearly is not in top form.

El Pistolero said:
Actually Contador crashed about 5 times and lost almost 2 minutes in the first stage alone because of a crash.

Froome finished 10 minutes down on Contador at the Vuelta.

It's not nearly as silly as you make it out to be.

Giro-Tour combo is also harder than the Tour-Vuelta combo. That year's Giro was also one of the hardest modern Giro's.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Did I say Froome was in top form? I said Contador was better and the reason why he lost the Tour that year was not solely because of exhaustion.

A GT rider needs exceptional recovery skills and obviously those of Contador are better than Froome's so far.

The Hitch said:
Yeah, thats 1 example, we are going to need a bit more than that to justify the posts above which act as if its a regular occurence. Maybe Contador really was just outsprinted by Rujano on Grossglockner and couldnt hold Tiralongos wheel on macanuga.

That was 1 example, i want to see 10 others or some comments being retracted.

As for Zoncolan Contador put minutes into everyone at will on the previous mountain stages, and rode away from everyone for kicks and gigles on the next 2, as well as winning the mountain tt by half a minute having been 30 down at the bottom of the climb.

I know some of you are such big Anton fans that you take it personally, but honestly you find it that ridiculous to suggest Contador, especially on his Giro 2011 from, could not have kept up with Anton on Zoncolan?

And if you want to cry that anyone who reached that conclusion is some blind biased Contador fan, i will respond by suggesting that the reason yall cling so tight to this notion that fuji outclimbed Contador on 1 gt stage, might be because that, and dropping old man Marzio from a weak *** breakaway 3 months later, are the most recent memories of his talent that yall are left with.

Anton is good on insane steep climbs(The only thing he can do for a while :D) even though he is simply horrible since his crash on Vuelta :eek:
And I doubt that he rode slowly just to have fun with Nibali, as next day on Gardeccia, he lost ground to Scarponi on final 1km, it is not like he was putting minutes on everyone on Gardeccia

TRENDING THREADS