• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How much does JRod lose to Wiggins in the Vuelta TT

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Well?

• More than 4 minutes, he's proper crap.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
auscyclefan94 said:
It isn't that easy to control form. It can just come earlier or later than expected. Clearly J Rod wanted to be in peak form for the Giro but that didn't happen.

That doesn't explain what prompts you to think Wiggins was in peak form at the Dauphine? The fact that he was dropping Evans, and only a peak form Wiggins could do that? You can't be basing this opinion on his Tour performance since it was so abbreviated.

Parrulo said:
i quoted you and bolded the part where you say the field is weak so he can top 5. i responded to that. ..

if the thread is about wiggins vs purito itt then why are you mentioning a GC spot wiggins may be able to achieve?

Never said he could top 5. I said he would put 4+ minutes on JRod in TT. I said I believe he is motivated.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
People on this site are really bitter about cav, Wiggins and the Brits. It's amazing. I will leave you with a fact that will upset all posters here:

we have the funding, we have the cyclists, we will get to the top in the next few years.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree to an extent. I think a lot of the posters who support more and/or are from more traditional cycling nations feel threatened by countries such as Great Britain and australia knocking them off their perch as being the power houses but in saying that I don't really like Cav and find Brad to be mundane.

what i think its funny is that people say you hate some1 just because you are realistic.

in fact i am one of the few posters on this forum that isn't a brit and likes cav and i also like geraint thomas. i have nothing against wiggins i just don't think he will be relevant to GC on this years vuelta. is coming from an injury with a far from ideal preparation to a GT that only has a couple of climbs that suit him. wiggins doesn't excel on the steep stuff and constant changes of %. he is good on constant 6 to 8% climbs where he can steady pace his way up.

but no me saying that has nothing to do with logic and its simple pure hate.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
what i think its funny is that people say you hate some1 just because you are realistic.

in fact i am one of the few posters on this forum that isn't a brit and likes cav and i also like geraint thomas.
i have nothing against wiggins i just don't think he will be relevant to GC on this years vuelta. is coming from an injury with a far from ideal preparation to a GT that only has a couple of climbs that suit him. wiggins doesn't excel on the steep stuff and constant changes of %. he is good on constant 6 to 8% climbs where he can steady pace his way up.

Count me in on that bolded one as well.

As for Wiggo, I think he could barely, maybe, just possibly sneak into the top 5. He should have a very good shot at the time trial to get some huge time back. He may not win that stage as Cancellara and Martin are both here, but he should do well.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

in fact i am one of the few posters on this forum that isn't a brit and likes cav and i also like geraint thomas. i have nothing against wiggins i just don't think he will be relevant to GC on this years vuelta. is coming from an injury with a far from ideal preparation to a GT that only has a couple of climbs that suit him. wiggins doesn't excel on the steep stuff and constant changes of %. he is good on constant 6 to 8% climbs where he can steady pace his way up.

Count me in as well; we could start a new mafia :p

I think wiggo will get a topp 10 on GC though... If Roche can do it, Wiggo certainly can as well

auscyclefan94 said:
I agree to an extent. I think a lot of the posters who support more and/or are from more traditional cycling nations feel threatened by countries such as Great Britain and australia knocking them off their perch as being the power houses but in saying that I don't really like Cav and find Brad to be mundane.

What have the Great Britain riders done to make them a threat to the traditional nations' hold on the sport? The same applies to Australia who beside Evans has no one in the remote vicinity of being an elite climber.
Australia has an abundance of sprint talent and eventually some of that should transfer into being contenders for the cobbled classics but either of the countries being a threat to the firm grip that the traditional countries have is a bit far fetched if you're looking at every aspect of elite road racing.

Angliru said:
What have the Great Britain riders done to make them a threat to the traditional nations' hold on the sport?

Well, they've dominated grand tour sprinting in the past three years and will likely do so for the next three courtesy of the most prolific Grand Tour stage winner of recent years. Surely that counts for something. Mr Prudholme even amended the Green jersey contest of the TdF in large part in response to the UK rider's performance. The lad might also add a rainbow jersey to that shortly too. Of course, any nitpickers will know that the Isle of Man isn't technically part of Great Britain, so you can disregard everything I've just said!

Its very early days for any talk of an assault by British riders on the other areas of road cycling, but they are moving in the right direction for the first time. I hope Wiggins proves me wrong and has a decent tilt at a podium here. Beneath his expressionless face seems to lie a thoroughly decent spud. He was happy to talk at length to the media quite soon after crashing out on the TdF. If it was me, I'd have been hiding myself away in a cupboard blubbing away! Top man.

On topic - If Wiggins is saying 3 minutes then he is probably thinking 3 minutes thirty or 4 minutes.

Angliru said:
What have the Great Britain riders done to make them a threat to the traditional nations' hold on the sport? The same applies to Australia who beside Evans has no one in the remote vicinity of being an elite climber.
Australia has an abundance of sprint talent and eventually some of that should transfer into being contenders for the cobbled classics but either of the countries being a threat to the firm grip that the traditional countries have is a bit far fetched if you're looking at every aspect of elite road racing.
Australia certainly is one of the major cycling nations right now, how could it be otherwise when they're currently ranked 3d in the world. They may not have as many WT riders as some of the "traditional" cycling nations, but they do deliver results.

True, they only have one good stage racer, but it just happens to be that this one guy is really good. Better than anything Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, or any country except Spain have to offer. And their current generation of sprinters is better than anywhere else. When Australia has riders that are better in every aspect of the sport than some of these countries (the Netherlands, for instance) how are you going to argue that they aren't a threat?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I voted for Wiggo in that other poll - but mainly just to wind people up. I suspect many others did the same.

However, this 'highly knowledgeable' forum was soundly predicting Wiggins for a spanking in the Dauphine as late as the Thursday during the race.

That suggests there are a lot of people on here who think they know a lot and dont.

On this poll - My maths was faulty - I voted 180-210 but actually meant 4+.

Fergoose said:
Well, they've dominated grand tour sprinting in the past three years and will likely do so for the next three courtesy of the most prolific Grand Tour stage winner of recent years. Surely that counts for something. Mr Prudholme even amended the Green jersey contest of the TdF in large part in response to the UK rider's performance. The lad might also add a rainbow jersey to that shortly too. Of course, any nitpickers will know that the Isle of Man isn't technically part of Great Britain, so you can disregard everything I've just said!

Its very early days for any talk of an assault by British riders on the other areas of road cycling, but they are moving in the right direction for the first time. I hope Wiggins proves me wrong and has a decent tilt at a podium here. Beneath his expressionless face seems to lie a thoroughly decent spud. He was happy to talk at length to the media quite soon after crashing out on the TdF. If it was me, I'd have been hiding myself away in a cupboard blubbing away! Top man.

On topic - If Wiggins is saying 3 minutes then he is probably thinking 3 minutes thirty or 4 minutes.

You say "they" as if the one rider (Cavendish) is representative of a wave of British cyclists taking over sprinting. There is an obvious upward trend in the number of British cyclists getting results at the elite level, but I don't think one could call that a real threat to the traditional countries influence on the sport.

You basicly have the two high profile riders (Cavendish and Wiggins) and one on the downward slope of his career (Millar) that was always a bit overrated. That is not a wave of dominance washing over the sport IMO.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I suppose this becomes even more mute now, if not for the reasons widely expected before.

I suppose the new question is how big will Wiggin's GC lead be tomorrow evening.

Will lead with 1+minute is my guess.

1. Wigans
2. Nibs
3. Fuglsang
4. Kessiakoff
5. Menchov

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
so 35% were actually right. Purito lost 4:02 to Brad. But I don't agree that he's proper crap. And I think he did what he could to limit the losses.