• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to choose a bike speedometer

Elvire

BANNED
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I want to loose weight, and every night I should go biking for an hour. I want a odometer to indicate the speed and time. I hope it can effectively help me monitor my progress and improve my endurance. I have found two models:
http://www.tinydeal.com/speedometer-pxgtr--p-3869.html
and http://www.tinydeal.com/waterproof-odometer-pxgtr-hui9586-p-8722.html
I do not know how to recognize a bike odometer good or not. Moreover, I don’t know the exact difference between these 2 odometers. both of them can tell me the riding speed, mileage and time cycled. but the second one has more functions like thermometer, auto lamp and stopwatch. but it is more expensive. So which one I can choose? could you please give me the professional advices?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Almost all cycling computers will tell you how fast you are going how far and how long yoy ride . You can keep a log for your goals etc.

Then after you have ridden 4000 miles you may want to get serious and buy a flash heart rate computer. But then again after 4000 miles you may not like the bike.
Good luck

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Buy the cheap one

You can get very fancy things with GPS and everythign built in, but for what you want, a cheap computer is all you need. Normally only one button to mess with that way too. I have had the simplest cateyes in the past and they were fine, I ride with nothing now as normally I am just out to have fun - I really don't set goals any more.

As above

Anything will work. Get it fitted properly in a bike shop especially if you want it to give an accurate reading of speed and/or distance. Don't bother spending too much on this it doesn't sound like you need it.

Have fun

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
An inexpensive computer like a cateye, vdo, or other trusted brand would be fine. Just about all decent standard computers will have total distance, trip odometer, current speed, max speed, average speed, a clock, and ride time.

As said in previous posts, don't spend a lot of money on a computer because most are up to par and good quality nowadays. Have fun!

Elvire

BANNED
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
oh~your advices are so expensive. I just want to know the distance and the speed, so maybe I will buy the second one to have a try. I think it can meet my demands, and I don't want to spend too much money on this gadget.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
find an inexpensive computer with cadence

If price is a major concern look for Bell's cycle computers in regular sporting goods stores. They have some inexpensive models that are well built and easy to see. They also have a lot of functions.

I use cadence much more than speed when I am riding. Many things can have a significant impact on speed (i.e. wind) that do not necessarily impact your effort (output) to the same degree. I sometimes use cadence to determine when I shift. Occasionally I check current cadence to current speed. At the end of my ride I track distance, average speed, maximum speed and time riding. My spreadsheet calculates the calories burned for me.

My next computer will also provide average cadence. I would love a heart monitor but I am too cheap.

I currently use a Cateye. I think the Cateye computer is very nice. I will never buy another one. The little clip on the back of the computer is way to delicate. The clip on mine that holds the computer to the base broke. I tied it in place with fishing line. It works great but the weak clip is an issue. I cannot remove the computer to protect it when I am transporting my bike by car.