• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to follow Track Cycling?

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I always had a sort of passing interesting in watching competitive cycling (I watched Tour de France as kid). Recently I watched the Olympic Games Track Cycling in the Velodrome and quite enjoyed it (especially the sprint and elimination races).

I wondered how you 'follow it'? For example I follow football and that's easy. I know the competitions, which are elite (Champions League) and which are not (League cup), when the season starts and when it ends and how it all relates to the international competitions. I know where to go to watch games either live or televised and so on.

What are the basics for following track cycling? I know there is a 'Revolution series' in Manchester but have no idea what that means. There seems to be a 'World Cup' in Glasgow but that seems to occur multiple times a year! :confused: Then finally there is the UCI Track Championships which seems to be about countries (so what are the other ones?) and seems to be the 'big' event that occurs every year. Have I got that right?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such questions. I don't know where the right place would be either!!

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The UCI Track World Championships are where the current world champion is decided. As in road race cycling the winner of this is allowed to wear the rainbow jersey in that event until the next worlds.

To qualify there are UCI Track Cycling World Cup events. Typically there are four of these a year but I think next year there are only going to be two.

Some countries will have their own National Track Championships but depending on schedules you may not always get the big names.

The Revolution events are private events which act more as a showcase for the top guys and for futures prospects. I have yet to go to one of these but heard good things about it.

Outside of that Europe has a number of events of which the Ghent six day is probably the most famous (?).

Most of the UCI World events will be shown on Tv or at least highlights if not live.

There are a number of events that were part of the Olympic programme but have been cut out such as the Madison and the 4K Individual Pursuit. These will still have World champions even if not Olympic titles.

Trawl through youtube and you will be able to find most of the recent ones.

Other people might better give advice as to follow but I just keep looking at the websites for National cycling organisations to see what is upcoming in their calendar as well as the UCI. Sorry I can't be of more help. Suffice to say that nothing beats actually being at an event.

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
The UCI Track World Championships are where the current world champion is decided. As in road race cycling the winner of this is allowed to wear the rainbow jersey in that event until the next worlds.

Cool. There isn't a overall world champion though is there? It's just whose the champion in a given event? So do they all get to wear the rainbow jersey?

To qualify there are UCI Track Cycling World Cup events. Typically there are four of these a year but I think next year there are only going to be two.

Cheers!

The Revolution events are private events which act more as a showcase for the top guys and for futures prospects. I have yet to go to one of these but heard good things about it.

Sounds good. Might go to one of the ones in Manchester. Hope they use the London Velodrome for some of the next season however.

Other people might better give advice as to follow but I just keep looking at the websites for National cycling organisations to see what is upcoming in their calendar as well as the UCI. Sorry I can't be of more help. Suffice to say that nothing beats actually being at an event.

Nah you've been very helpful. Thanks.

So I guess the elite level track cyclists focus their season around the World Cup and then the track championships?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
avanti said:
Check the wbsites for your local velodromes to see what events are coming up. Many have wekly events during season where you can pick up the basics on each type of race.
There is a list of velodromes here:
http://www.bikecult.com/bikecultbook/sports_velodromes.html

Many velodromes also offer beginner classes at low cost with free or low cost bike rental.

Thanks!

Wouldn't the quality of 'local places' be worse? Like watching a local pub team at football vs watching a Premier League match?

What do track cyclists do all year? Are they all full-time professionals. Is there no league and they just focus on the world cups and world championships?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Cool. There isn't a overall world champion though is there? It's just whose the champion in a given event? So do they all get to wear the rainbow jersey? Of course, you can be champion in multiple events and so wear the rainbow jersey in those events.
Yes, just in a given event. So as the current Keirin World Champion Chris Hoy can wear his in any Keirin event but not for instance in the Sprint.

Sounds good. Might go to one of the ones in Manchester. Hope they use the London Velodrome for some of the next season however.
They will surely use it now especially given the success at the Olympics and, besides, that is what it is there for :)

So I guess the elite level track cyclists focus their season around the World Cup and then the track championships?
For the pure track guys that is the biggest thing for them outside of the Olympics. The interesting thing is that you will get a number of guys who race road and track. For example Ben Swift is the current Scratch race WC but also rides on the road for Sky. There is a trend for trackies in the pursuit events to move onto road racing. Cameron Meyer and Jack Bobridge look like they will give up track for road (Though Bobridge might come back if the 4K IP comes back to the Olympic schedule). Geraint Thomas is another guy likely to give up track now.

Many of the road guys used to supplement income by riding in track events. Probably less so given the money they can earn but, for instance, Cav still does them now and again.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Damien said:
Thanks!

Wouldn't the quality of 'local places' be worse? Like watching a local pub team at football vs watching a Premier League match?

What do track cyclists do all year? Are they all full-time professionals. Is there no league and they just focus on the world cups and world championships?

Riders are ranked according to their abilities; in the USA riders categories are 1 through 5 with 5 being beginners. Likewise races are limited to riders of a certain class. I've been a fan for many decades, an official during the 80s, and a cat 4 racer. I've seen many beginner racers at local races blosson into world class riders.

Many track riders are amateur and some are full time professional. Many riders also double in other types of races (road, TT, cyclocross) or in other sports (XC Skiing, speed skating). I understand some of the top track racers concentrate only on their specialty, especially for a year or so before the Olympics (I understand this is the practice of the GB track team). There is no leagues that I know of but most riders (at least in US and UK) belong to and compete for clubs) and a few ride for professional road teams (these tend to race in six-day races).

To me the top track cycling event is the one-hour record. If you are interested check out the Graham Obree based movie "The Flying Scotsman" or read his autobiography "Flying Scotsman."

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Many of the road guys used to supplement income by riding in track events. Probably less so given the money they can earn but, for instance, Cav still does them now and again.

Ah cool. I guess they don't have a defined season and it depends on the individual then. Do track cyclists earn a lot? I was under the impression they didn't unless they reached the Pendleton/Hoy status and could get all the sponsorship.

Cheers for the answers!

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
avanti said:
Many track riders are amateur and some are full time professional. Many riders also double in other types of races (road, TT, cyclocross) or in other sports (XC Skiing, speed skating). I understand some of the top track racers concentrate only on their specialty, especially for a year or so before the Olympics (I understand this is the practice of the GB track team). There is no leagues that I know of but most riders (at least in US and UK) belong to and compete for clubs) and a few ride for professional road teams (these tend to race in six-day races).

Are there club teams with elite, pro, track cyclists that compete in track events? I.E Are there club track teams and competition at the elite level or is everyone representing themselves or their nation?

Cheers for the comprehensive answer btw. :)

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Damien said:
This depends on what country they are from and what types of riders. For instance GB riders are full-time riders for the most part. As mentioned above some events lend themselves to road racing so those guys tend to have a professional road race team as well. If you are a 4K pursuit guy then you will be very valuable as someone that can win the prologue in a road stage race (Since prologues are no longer than 8K). Geraint Thomas recently won the prologue at the Tour de Romandie and was second at the Giro.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
avanti said:
To me the top track cycling event is the one-hour record. If you are interested check out the Graham Obree based movie "The Flying Scotsman" or read his autobiography "Flying Scotsman."
Great call. Graham Obree is one of the unsung heroes of British track racing.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Damien said:
Do track cyclists earn a lot? I was under the impression they didn't unless they reached the Pendleton/Hoy status and could get all the sponsorship.
Again, this will probably depend in which country you are from and naturally your level. For GB I assume British Cycling has central contracts for the top people and they have a certain amount of leeway to compete in other sports/events where they can supplement their income.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
................. leeway to compete in other sports/events where they can supplement their income.

In the US top riders (especially thiose you have an Olympic medal) get hired as keynote speakers at business meetings, get paid to appear on stands at exhibitions, and to appear in advertisments.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
wow, 2 pages of posts and nobody has even mentioned 6-Days, really sad the state of track cycling now.
6-Days or Zesdaagse, is probably the oldest form of bike racing, and still a prestigious series running through the winter (I guess not with this forum though)
the racing is spectacular, fast, hard, and entertaining, with live music and showgirls in between the races, plenty of beer, a really fun night out.
they also bring in top sprinters and have a sprint tourny in between the madisons, miss n out's, etc...
unfortunatly some 6-Days are getting canceled because of lack of interest.
if you are a bike racing fan please support 6-Days
when the season starts you can watch the live feed of each race here: http://sports-livez.com/

zesdaagse.jpg

6394515911_39927c23c6_z.jpg

ZESDAAGSE6-473x314.jpg

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
wow, 2 pages of posts and nobody has even mentioned 6-Days, really sad the state of track cycling now.

From a previous post on this thread ;)

Outside of that Europe has a number of events of which the Ghent six day is probably the most famous (?).

Thanks for covering it in more detail though. I would love to get down to one of these. Friends have said it has a great atmosphere.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
From a previous post on this thread ;)

Thanks for covering it in more detail though. I would love to get down to one of these. Friends have said it has a great atmosphere.

We're doubling up Koksijde and Gent at the end of November. IIrc, 'cross ticket is €10 and Sat night/Sunday track ticket is €32 in the middle of the track. €42/£35/$55 for 48 hours of world class cycling. Truly a bargain and only available in Belgium. Hup!

CobbleStoner said:
6-Days or Zesdaagse, is probably the oldest form of bike racing, and still a prestigious series running through the winter (I guess not with this forum though)
the racing is spectacular, fast, hard, and entertaining, with live music and showgirls in between the races, plenty of beer, a really fun night out.

.....and you could smoke a cigar or two while you watched.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LugHugger said:
We're doubling up Koksijde and Gent at the end of November. IIrc, 'cross ticket is €10 and Sat night/Sunday track ticket is €32 in the middle of the track. €42/£35/$55 for 48 hours of world class cycling. Truly a bargain and only available in Belgium. Hup!
Ah, I am really envious. Am sure it will be fantastic. Would also like to get down there for some cyclo-cross as well.

Am in Australia for a couple more years so need to try and find out what else is on here. No world cup event down year for 2012/2013. There is the nationals and the oceanic but obviously not at the same level. Still, might be a chance to see the new guys coming through.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
LugHugger said:
sign me up, I'm there

FitSsikS said:
.....and you could smoke a cigar or two while you watched.
I believe that is a requirement in most of the seating sections... I know a beer is

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
follow track

There are four world cup events, generally Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb with a World Championship in late March or early April.

Look at this site under Track, then calendar and shortly the winter schedule will become available. Also at the UCI official site.

Tissot does the timing and posts all the results and splits, including lap times.
Example: http://www.tissottiming.com/Competition?id=0003000102FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&sport=CT&year=2012

Typed reviews are often sparse. Some only list winners with no details,

If you can watch live...try Sports Livez, which airs live coverage. Their schedule is only listed a day in advance, so you have to check for the times of coverage.......... http://sports-livez.com/
They are showing the Eneco Tour and Women's Olympic Mountain race, live as I type this.