• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How will Jens Voigt prepare his hour record attempt ?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How will Jens get prepared ?

• 2 units blood cause I'm retired and I don't care if my HCT is 4% above my baseline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bavarianrider said:
Why should he juice up for that?
He'll only have to do 5Watt/Kilo to break the record. He doesn't need preperation for that. No pro does.

Ullrich clean ??? No kidding ...

With the 5W/kg theory, he should have tried the hour when he was overweight. He would have smashed both record and powermeters :)

lllludo said:
Ullrich clean ??? No kidding ...

With the 5W/kg theory, he should have tried the hour when he was overweight. He would have smashed both record and powermeters :)

The 5 watt/kg isn't a theoory it's mathematics. A guy like Voigt at around 75 kg needs to pull ca 380 Watt on a TT Bike with two discs to break Sosenkas record.
To put thinks into perspective. On Sosenkas bike he'd need 500 Watt/Kilo

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
How about bike doping option? Or velodrome doping (e.g.light circulating wind)? Btw, isn't "shut up legs" just an equivalent of the famous "pot belge"?

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Damn, did Sosenka tow a Jumbo Jet round the velodrome in his attempt? :eek:

That must've been awkward inside a velodrome. It would make for an interesting alternative world hour record. We most certainly need more of those!

SeriousSam said:
Damn, did Sosenka tow a Jumbo Jet round the velodrome in his attempt? :eek:

I'm sure Alex Simmons could go on endlessly about it. (with authority!) Simplified, increases in speed require exponential increases in power. That might not sound too difficult but Sosenka's estimate compared to Jensie's illustrates it nicely.

It tells you what a b!tch wind resistance (generic) is and the enormous amounts of power required to do well/defeat air resistance.

This seems like an okay summary graph: http://www.americanroadcycling.org/TheBook/WattsSpeed.aspx?frm=bkmrkImg3SoloLineChart#SoloLineChart

Basically, to go from ~20mph to ~22mph requires an estimated ~18% increase in power output. ~22mph to ~23mph requires the next~18% increase in power. The next 18% is a bigger number too!

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
No need to dope, he's got modern equipment to beat a record held by a steel bike ridden in the drops. Top armatures could beat the record, any pro with a decent TT on a world tour team could take it.

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I'm sure Alex Simmons could go on endlessly about it. (with authority!) Simplified, increases in speed require exponential increases in power. That might not sound too difficult but Sosenka's estimate compared to Jensie's illustrates it nicely.

It tells you what a b!tch wind resistance (generic) is and the enormous amounts of power required to do well/defeat air resistance.

This seems like an okay summary graph: http://www.americanroadcycling.org/TheBook/WattsSpeed.aspx?frm=bkmrkImg3SoloLineChart#SoloLineChart

Basically, to go from ~20mph to ~22mph requires an estimated ~18% increase in power output. ~22mph to ~23mph requires the next~18% increase in power. The next 18% is a bigger number too!

The power to go a given speed increase as a cubic function and that is due to air resistance. Say what you want about Sosenka but he was very aerodynamic for being such a big guy.

I don't know why the record that voigt would need to break would be Sosenka's. Shouldn't it be Boardman's record of 56 km or whatever he got in the superman position.

MonkeyFace said:
I don't know why the record that voigt would need to break would be Sosenka's. Shouldn't it be Boardman's record of 56 km or whatever he got in the superman position.

Well if the UCI are going to be consistent, then yes, considering the hour record and pursuit records are now using the same equipment rules. But that's not what UCI did*.

Boardman's hour and pursuit world records were set within week or two of each other on the same bike set up.

Now the UCI have changed hour record bike regs back to be in line with pursuit bike regs, then it makes sense to harmonise back to that same record.

Consider that Boardman's 4:11.x 4km pursuit record remained in the UCI records until Bobridge broke it in 2011. Why wasn't that record scrubbed with changes to pursuit bike regs?

* If it was reinstated as it should have been, then of course the money making venture this farce has turned into wouldn't happen, as Boardman's record would be exceptionally difficult to beat.

So, I don't want to do anything to endorse this Jens Voigt show. I'm not in Europe and pirate all of the feeds anyway, so I'm trying to decide if its better to not do anything, or perhaps to play some online stream as a FU to eurosport in a more roundabout way.

I would also say the same on twitter, but the people who follow me are mostly July fans and would love to hear two anonymous (to them) british guys jabber about Jens for two hours if they knew about it.

Any thoughts? Too late to start a mass social media boycott?

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So at 30 mins in Jens did a Lance and pull the back right side of his shorts down and away from his backside - just the same way lance used to before his monster attacks in the tour
Funnily enough about 3 minutes later his lap time stopped creeping up towards 18 seconds per lap and started dropping down towards 17 again and with 10 minutes to go he is going at his fastest of all

Surprised - NOT !!!!!

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
robertmooreheadlane said:
So at 30 mins in Jens did a Lance and pull the back right side of his shorts down and away from his backside - just the same way lance used to before his monster attacks in the tour

Symbolism is everywhere, and it absolutely is important to those on the "inside".

More Strides than Rides said:
So, I don't want to do anything to endorse this Jens Voigt show. I'm not in Europe and pirate all of the feeds anyway, so I'm trying to decide if its better to not do anything, or perhaps to play some online stream as a FU to eurosport in a more roundabout way.

I would also say the same on twitter, but the people who follow me are mostly July fans and would love to hear two anonymous (to them) british guys jabber about Jens for two hours if they knew about it.

Any thoughts? Too late to start a mass social media boycott?

#HourRecord is trending on Twitter,
so yes, my friend, it is too late.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Bx0oJa0CEAAdX1m.jpg

Digger said:
Dope

already been named by Joerg.

Yet he's a hero to many.

Fine, but don't pretend he's not doping.

I've never thought he was clean for the reason that's already been alluded to earlier in the thread; you look at the era that he came through in and frankly, anybody outside the autobus (and come to that about 95% of the riders in it) were doping.

If you accept that and like me you're anti-doping, you were left with two options really - either abandon the sport completely as a fan because you are consumed by hatred, or find something to differentiate between riders other than their assumed purity so that you can at least have someone to root for.

Jens has personality, in spades. People can like his personality, or dislike it, but it's hard to ignore it :D On top of that, I don't think anybody would argue that Jens has an extraordinary level of pain tolerance and there's surely no doubt that he took himself right out there on the ragged edge more times than I can remember during his career.

I'd have preferred to watch a clean sport but as the Stones said, you can't always get what you want. In the absence of that, I'll take a rider like Jens purely for entertainment value.

TRENDING THREADS