• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How will Jens Voigt prepare his hour record attempt ?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How will Jens get prepared ?

• 2 units blood cause I'm retired and I don't care if my HCT is 4% above my baseline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 25, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I find your lack of similarity in this comparison disturbing.

Instead, go back to the 2012 Tour de France and check the speed and distance of the final TT - and consider that was the 2nd last stage of a race he held the yellow jersey in, non-stop, for the final 2 weeks.

I'll take recent over very similar, personally. As long as it's flat and long enough to not get aerobic stuff.

Though actually, Wiggins went 6% faster than Voigt there, too.

oldcrank said:
I think Sir Brad did 456 watts for 55 minutes
in his 1min20sec loss to Mr. Martin in 2011.

Digressing slightly from Jens (my fault, I made the comparison), here is the reference:

"Without boring you too much with the technicalities I averaged 456 watts for 55 minutes at the Worlds last year against Tony and still finished 1min 20sec behind.

"He was fantastic that day but it seemed like I should have been getting more return for my effort,” said Wiggins.

We’ve dropped the cadence and I am trying to power my way along a bit more, get more distance per pedal stroke. It’s been working well this year and it has helped my strength generally.

(Thanks for the reminder. I can now recall challenging fellow Clinicians to celebrate with just 10% of this, and give 450 for a mere 6 minutes)

Another minor point of humor in this article is the reference to cadence.

Perhaps it was just me, but weren't Froome and Wiggo being lauded for their high cadence at the same time at this year's Vuelta and Tour of Britain respectively?

So, could someone please give us an update on that marginal gains thing again? Do we get a bigger marginal gain with high cadence or low cadence?

Dave.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
D-Queued said:
So, could someone please give us an update on that marginal gains thing again? Do we get a bigger marginal gain with high cadence or low cadence?

Dave.

I think the answer is a rather resounding, "Yes". Anything we say that we are doing different, whether it is different to someone else, or different to what we were doing a scant 6 months ago leads to a marginal gain.

Please do not commit thought crimes.

This has been a Minitrues public announcement.

Dear Wiggo said:
I think the answer is a rather resounding, "Yes". Anything we say that we are doing different, whether it is different to someone else, or different to what we were doing a scant 6 months ago leads to a marginal gain.

Please do not commit thought crimes.

This has been a Minitrues public announcement.

Thanks. I am finally enlightened.

I am going out right now on a ride where I will not clip into my pedals. Not once. I expect to achieve a series of PRs and a complete re-ordering of all Strava leadership boards.

Dave.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
D-Queued said:
Thanks. I am finally enlightened.

I am going out right now on a ride where I will not clip into my pedals. Not once. I expect to achieve a series of PRs and a complete re-ordering of all Strava leadership boards.

Still using pedals, I see?

You'll learn.

You'll learn.

oldcrank said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Still using pedals, I see?

You'll learn.

You'll learn.
It appears our friend Dave is
familiar with UCI rule 1.3.006.

Sure, but I am also seeking those missing marginal gains readily available from anything different.

So here is what I did:

Attached two pedals to the left crank arm - one inside and one outside. Tried it with the RH crank first, but the chain was a problem that I couldn't figure out how to get around..

Of course, the LH chain stay was a bit of a problem, as were the seat and down tubes. The LH chain stay was the easiest fix. Quick surgery with a hand saw to remove it, and no more problem. Since the RH chain stay was still in place, and both seat stays, no problems with the chain turning.

Still couldn't get a full rotation, but almost. So 270 degree forward rotation, 270 degree backward rotation, repeat.

Easiest 50 kph ever. Right leg optional.

Dave.

While I admire your willingness to innovate,
my friend, your countryman's (I think you're
Canadian, are you not?) two chain-ring/two
cog/two chain set-up that he used in the 82
Worlds at Saffron Lane was a better attempt
at marginal gains. While both yours and his
designs fall foul of the current rule book, at
least he didn't have to ride side-saddle.:)

oldcrank said:
While I admire your willingness to innovate,
my friend, your countryman's (I think you're
Canadian, are you not?) two chain-ring/two
cog/two chain set-up that he used in the 82
Worlds at Saffron Lane was a better attempt
at marginal gains. While both yours and his
designs fall foul of the current rule book, at
least he didn't have to ride side-saddle.:)

Cheers.

At least my side-saddle rig eliminates the dead spot at the top of the crank arm rotation. My previous attempt was to simply run the cranks at 90 degrees instead of 180. Then those guys at Rotor swiped my idea.

However, enough of that. I have already driven this past the absurd to try and illustrate it.

To put it simply, Jens is absurd.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS