• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd not entirely happy with Garmin-Cervelo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

If I'm JV, I make no attempt to sign Thor. Furthermore, I make it crystal clear if Thor or his jackazz agent make another comment in the press regarding the team in anything other than glowing terms he can kiss not only my azz but his bonus goodbye.

You simply don't aire your grievence in the press. Period. I really thought him to be smarter than this.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
Thor wouldn't have won that race. Ballan or Fabian would have beaten him.

How much is the bonus they're argueing about?

I don't think Garmin gave him a chance. they would've ordered him not to pull for Spartacus. He could've pulled when they got within 20 seconds but wasn't allowed. So the race he really wanted to make an impact in, the reigning world champion was not even allowed to compete because a domestique was up the road.

Now, i know its a team sport, but i can understand Thors discontentment in this circumstance not being able to compete when in his prime and near the peak of his powers.

A

Anonymous

Bennyl said:
I don't think Garmin gave him a chance. they would've ordered him not to pull for Spartacus. He could've pulled when they got within 20 seconds but wasn't allowed. So the race he really wanted to make an impact in, the reigning world champion was not even allowed to compete because a domestique was up the road.

Now, i know its a team sport, but i can understand Thors discontentment in this circumstance not being able to compete when in his prime and near the peak of his powers.

Perhaps. But I don't remember Boonen showing his azz after Devolder won a coupla RvV's.

Bennyl said:

Pull or not, at the end he was not strong enough to stay with Canc. even without working. He would have a much stronger argument if he had outsprinted Cancellara on the velodrome for second. The team tactics at worst put him in the catbird seat, he had to just follow while Cancellara chased, and at the end he couldn't even do that.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Pull or not, at the end he was not strong enough to stay with Canc. even without working. He would have a much stronger argument if he had outsprinted Cancellara on the velodrome for second. The team tactics at worst put him in the catbird seat, he had to just follow while Cancellara chased, and at the end he couldn't even do that.

good point. i guess if they had've bridged the 20 seconds and it had've just been cancellara and him up the road, he would've been hoping for a sprint finish... Fabian never would've allowed that leaving Thor with a podium at best.

so yeah, interesting predicament. its not often the domestique holds on like Johan did so, rare circumstances i guess. still, Thor obviously isn't putting up with that as you only get one cycling career with so many chances.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: the World's bonus:
A verbal agreement between Carera and Vaughters had been reached.
It surprises me that there wasn't something more concrete in place.
But Thor was a victim of circumstance. He had a contract with Cervelo and that folded into Garmin. He negotiated a new contract BEFORE Geelong. :eek:

World champion Thor Hushovd has revealed that the terms of his 2011 contract with Garmin-Cerveöp remained unchanged even after the Norwegian won the gold medal in Geelong, Australia. Hushovd, who announced his one-year contract with the American team in August, said that the rainbow jersey did not give him an increase in salary even though he had asked for it.

"They wanted to give me a better contract, but they have no more money, they have used up their budget."

But Hushovd remained philisophical about it. "It's just part of the risk when signing a new contract early," said the 32-year-old, who kept the same contract conditions as he had with Cervélo, estimated by the media at approximately 1,200,000 Euro per annum.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-increased-salary-for-hushovd

Damn though, what's with all the hate in this thread?

Parrulo said:
why do we have to get flat world champs 2 years in a row? <_<

i don't see thor getting another fluke win this year :p

At least Cadel was better than Ballan, the yr after he won the jersey and even then that's negative. He was the basis for a whole new team and won F-W. Thor was supposed to be good at the classics this yr and had a good build up too. He might have gone well in M-SR and probably gave up after JVS win in P-R was assured. Most overrated would be Pozzato. Also i expect at least Haussler or Thor to move.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
For The World said:
Which team do you think he could move to that would give him the support he needs? I think he needs to go back to an outfit like Credit Agricole.

Didn't you hear? Before this he blamed Crédit Agricole for his unableness to win Roubaix ...

I think Saxo Bank would be a good possibility depending on how the whole sponsorship/Contador thing works out. Other teams such as AG2R don't have the money I would say. Another possibility could be that he goes back to a ProConti team as he wants to be the sole leader

May 5, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I mean around 5-6%. Philippe Gilbert said this isn't a WC for him, so I doubt it. Think it will be Tommeke.

There is only one easy climb every round in this WC, so Gilbert will not be able to fly away from the rest as the race just isn't selective enough. Boonen says that they can reach an average of 50km/h here.

Freiiireeeeee don't underestimate old Oscar :cool:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
After JV did to him in Paris-Roubaix, no wonder he's not happy.
I know I would.
Hushovd doesn't have the automatic right to the race tactics being directed solely for his benefit.

Garmin's objective is publicity as is Cervelo & Sram. If it works out that Hushovd misses the move or is tactically boxed in but a Garmin rider wins that's a good outcome for the team. If JV had allowed/instructed Hushovd to help chase JvS down in the hope of a win for himself they'd have left empty handed and possibly off the podium all together.

Hushovd was not up to the mark on the day so he was unable to impose himself as Cancellara was last year. Tough luck.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ballan was gutless. Thor was torn at not being allowed to ride, he wanted to honor the jersey and go large with Canc.
M Sport said:
Thor wouldn't have won that race. Ballan or Fabian would have beaten him.

How much is the bonus they're argueing about?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ozerulz said:
wow. can't wait for Thor to move on and make you guys look like the turds you think he is. kinda funny that someone who doesn't carry on and has some class gets **** on. but hey, that's cycling.

hushovd has class?? he whines more than your average wife of 40. he has no class and rides like a coward as we could all see in p-r. also he has excuses for everytime he doesn't win. possibly worse than boonen and at least boonen has the class to make a race instead of wheelsucking and don't come up with hushovd has a sprint because boonen is faster and always rides with you.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
Thor needs to go to Saxo Bank. Riis is a classics god, Vaughters and Garmin are amateurs in comparison.

So Riis has 1 Classic win this season and so does Vaughters? Both won by non leaders.

Riis is slipping in to the amateur ranks or Vaughters is now up with the big boys!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So Riis has 1 Classic win this season and so does Vaughters? Both won by non leaders.

Riis is slipping in to the amateur ranks or Vaughters is now up with the big boys!

important observation tho: SBS had a mediocre team for the classics this year while Garmin had a super strong team.

Christian said:
Didn't you hear? Before this he blamed Crédit Agricole for his unableness to win Roubaix ...

I think Saxo Bank would be a good possibility depending on how the whole sponsorship/Contador thing works out. Other teams such as AG2R don't have the money I would say. Another possibility could be that he goes back to a ProConti team as he wants to be the sole leader

i think tommeke will be the one with riis next season. *crosses fingers*

but tbh i doubt riis wants thor. he is not winning material for P-R. and as much as people like to bash ballan and pozzato they are much better riders then thor. i think the biggest prof that thor will never win P-R are first in 2009 when on the carefour boonen picked up the pace after flecha went down taking the lotto guys with him and stopping pozzato for a bit, in a just a couple of bents thor made a mistake and went down. that was lack of concentration cus he was already exhausted. and this year eve tho he hadn't done jack till then he was able to follow canc's attack with 7k to go. some people may say that he knew canc wouldn't catch JVS but the truth is, first its motherfreaking canc so you never known, 2 he got to second so he wasn't that late to get first, third the tactics the team had used till that moment required him to follow canc no matter what just in case and forth it could have been a 1-2 for garmin. but it wasn't

what i mean is that thor as good as he is doesn't has what it takes to win a race like P-R.

p.s. i am not saying he is a bad rider, just not P-R winning material nor RVV wining material nor M-SR wining material (the year cavendish won and haussler was second, haussler was leading out thor that wasn't able to stay on hausslers wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1) so i don't see that many people queueing up to get thor.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
hushovd has class?? he whines more than your average wife of 40. he has no class and rides like a coward as we could all see in p-r. also he has excuses for everytime he doesn't win. possibly worse than boonen and at least boonen has the class to make a race instead of wheelsucking and don't come up with hushovd has a sprint because boonen is faster and always rides with you.

Im not sure you know the meaning of the word coward...not necessarily how I would describe Hushovd's riding style.

Its funny on here...unless a rider attacks...attacks...attacks he is a coward. There is more to winning a race than just attacking. Using your head. Sometimes...just hanging on to make the sprint requires more courage/intestinal fortitude than being able to go on the attack. The wheel sucking argument is old and tired. Heck, I don't even like Hushovd very much..but calling him a coward is just short sighted.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Dwaars Door Vlaanderen is a classic, surely, and Nuyens definitey is leader, on a weak team.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
For The World said:
So it seems as though Thor isn't feeling the love at Garmin-Cervelo this season:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-to-renegotiate-contract-in-july

He's expressed some disappointment with race strategy, support from the team, and the lack of a bonus being paid as part of being the world champion. An interesting quote from the article:

Is this insinuating that JV backs out on his word from time to time, or is it just a sort of laid back way of saying his word is his bond? I'm leaning towards the former.

The other main point is that he (Vaughters) has to raise the funds to pay Hushovd his bonus, which means the team doesn't have a pool of funds they can use "in case of emergency". So they either put everything on credit and pay when they win (which hasn't been overly much this year), or the sponsors have them on a VERY short leash, and they need to beg for money to pay their people. Or there could be myriad combinations of fiscal issues, but not having a buffer of funds seems a little careless.

Vaughters just realised Thor is nothing but a downhill puncheur.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i think tommeke will be the one with riis next season. *crosses fingers*

but tbh i doubt riis wants thor. he is not winning material for P-R. and as much as people like to bash ballan and pozzato they are much better riders then thor. i think the biggest prof that thor will never win P-R are first in 2009 when on the carefour boonen picked up the pace after flecha went down taking the lotto guys with him and stopping pozzato for a bit, in a just a couple of bents thor made a mistake and went down. that was lack of concentration cus he was already exhausted. and this year eve tho he hadn't done jack till then he was able to follow canc's attack with 7k to go. some people may say that he knew canc wouldn't catch JVS but the truth is, first its motherfreaking canc so you never known, 2 he got to second so he wasn't that late to get first, third the tactics the team had used till that moment required him to follow canc no matter what just in case and forth it could have been a 1-2 for garmin. but it wasn't

what i mean is that thor as good as he is doesn't has what it takes to win a race like P-R.

p.s. i am not saying he is a bad rider, just not P-R winning material nor RVV wining material nor M-SR wining material (the year cavendish won and haussler was second, haussler was leading out thor that wasn't able to stay on hausslers wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1) so i don't see that many people queueing up to get thor.

I agree with most of what you are saying here...except I don't think that Ballan and Pozzato are "better" riders than Hushovd. They are in the same category...on good/lucky days they can be there to contest the win. Also, Thor is currently wearing the WC jersey...I think Thor will have plenty of teams to choose from...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Let me explain better what I mean...cause I don't want this to sound like some kind of personal attack...:) For instance (and please know that I hate Cav) when he won MSR...he was not attacking and riding in the wind at all. He showed huge courage and toughness getting over the climbs to make it to the finish where he won. Thats what he had to do to win...he would never be able to pull off the Sparticus late race attacks and win. So his win is just as impressive as Cancellara's win...thats what I mean...more than one way to skin a cat.

TRDean said:
I agree with most of what you are saying here...except I don't think that Ballan and Pozzato are "better" riders than Hushovd. They are in the same category...on good/lucky days they can be there to contest the win. Also, Thor is currently wearing the WC jersey...I think Thor will have plenty of teams to choose from...

well i do rate pippo and ballan on a higher level as both have proved that they have what it takes to win a tough race and consistently are there when the selection is made.

too me thor is just a glorified sprinter. "oh but he is the world champion and has the stripes to prove it so he must be great" you say, "2 words for you. . . . igor astarloa"

being a lucky winner doesn't auto makes you great.

and just so you know i don't dislike thor there are very few really very few cyclists i dislike and there are plenty of them that i like. thor just goes in the "i don't really care about him" category

Bennyl said:
good point. i guess if they had've bridged the 20 seconds and it had've just been cancellara and him up the road, he would've been hoping for a sprint finish... Fabian never would've allowed that leaving Thor with a podium at best.

That's what the world wanted to watch. Superman vs. The World champion! It wasn't given that Fabian would have beaten Thor head to head few Kms from the finish.

Thanks to JV's micro vision of cycling we didn't have the opportunity to watch it.

PS: So, yes, Thor should be mad @ Garmin for that.

ultimobici said:
Hushovd was not up to the mark on the day so he was unable to impose himself as Cancellara was last year. Tough luck.
If he wasn't *up to the mark* that day (being able to go with Cancellara when he took off), I don't know when in his life he's been. :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm not a fan of Hushovd...but I try to keep it objective.

cineteq said:
That's what the world wanted to watch. Superman vs. The World champion! It wasn't given that Fabian would have beaten Thor head to head few Kms from the finish.

Thanks to JV's micro vision of cycling we didn't have the opportunity to watch it.

PS: So, yes, Thor should be mad @ Garmin for that.

i invite you to watch the last 10k's of the race ;) thor had no chance

also ya JV's has a micro version of cycling lawl he cares about wining he doesn't give a damn about what you want to watch. garmin's tactics were overall decent in roubaix (there were some silly mistakes along the way tho mostly in the last 50k)

TRENDING THREADS