• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hype Thread!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
actually I don't care for that at all. I know well europeans stand no real chance in Colombia except maybe a contador or some other supertalent. not even hinault, coppi and chiapucchi could. and chiapucchi had speficially prepared for it. and colombia have only put in bigger steps in the past 20 years. where they used to be attrocious in timetrialing(imagine someone telling you in 1990 a colombian would be the best timetrialer in 10 years), sprinting(not too important for gc), flat and downhilling the gaps to europe is now much smaller in this while in the mountains has only increased with recent supertalents coming out of colombia.

it's more fun to see colombians in europe as they give a new dimension to cycling while I really don't want the european dimension to come into south america too much.

Jakob747 said:
Do you follow my talent-blog MADRAZO? In two of my latest entries on my blog I have rated the ten most promising U-21 Italians and Spaniards. Its worth to note that I have left out every rider who have already secured a contract weather that be on pro-tour or continental level. Which means riders like Jesus Herrada, Pablo Lechuga, Higinio Fernandez or Carlos Verona for example, all are excluded as they all have already made the jump to the pro ranks. I have focused solely on the U-23 and Junior scene.

I have written their biographies and profiles and ranked them after their potential. My subjective opinion of their potential of course.

Since I think you can’t link to blogs on here, I will just put the list as how I have ranked them. Their entire biographies and profiles (if you’re interested) you have to visit my blog to read.

Top-10 Italian U-21 talents.

1. Stefano Locatelli
2. Francesco Manuel Bongiorno
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

Top-10 Spanish U-21 talents.

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
9. Francesco Jose Medina Abril
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

In a way you can say I hype them all!

this

also to mention 20 years old russian Evgeny SHALUNOV, who dominated every single spanish amateur race where he took part in

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
All ACF's posts regarding the riders he drools over should go in here.

Van Averamet
Santambrogio
etc etc

In fact, ACF should frequent this thread often.

Jakob747 said:
Do you follow my talent-blog MADRAZO? In two of my latest entries on my blog I have rated the ten most promising U-21 Italians and Spaniards. Its worth to note that I have left out every rider who have already secured a contract weather that be on pro-tour or continental level. Which means riders like Jesus Herrada, Pablo Lechuga, Higinio Fernandez or Carlos Verona for example, all are excluded as they all have already made the jump to the pro ranks. I have focused solely on the U-23 and Junior scene.

I have written their biographies and profiles and ranked them after their potential. My subjective opinion of their potential of course.

Since I think you can’t link to blogs on here, I will just put the list as how I have ranked them. Their entire biographies and profiles (if you’re interested) you have to visit my blog to read.

1. Stefano Locatelli
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

Lots of these names are U23, not U21. Anyway, could you send a private message with a link to your blog. I am always interested in talented new cyclists?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
All ACF's posts regarding the riders he drools over should go in here.

Van Averamet
Santambrogio
etc etc

In fact, ACF should frequent this thread often.

Surely you have something better to post about than me? Well done Troll!

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Jakob747 said:

1. Stefano Locatelli
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

Do you have a link to your blog? I'd be interested in reading more.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Surely you have something better to post about than me? Well done Troll!

Technically speaking this has everything to do with you so it's not a trolling.

The fact that you overhype riders saying Santambrogio would finish top 15 in the Giro and effectively say that guys like Rujano and Sella wouldn't finish top 15 is quite relevant for this topic.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jakob747 said:

1. Stefano Locatelli
3. Enrico Battaglin
4. Luca Wackermann
5. Sonny Colbrelli
6. Moreno Moser
7. Enrico Barbin
8. Andrea Manfredi
9. Nicola Boem
10. Fabio Aru

1. Jordi Simon
2. Ramon Domene
3. Igor Merino
4. Fernando Grijalba
5. Omar Fraile
6. Roberto Mendez
7. Joaquin Torres
8. Aitor Gonzalez
10. Mario Gonzalez Salas

I wouldn't expect anything from a guy that rode/rides with gs zalf... colbrelli maybe because he's a sprinter

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Apparently Basso and Cunego are losers. :eek:

best be discussed in clinic. let's just say they dominate italian u23 cycling except giro bio were controlls were tight and lucchini unidelta got kicked out at the first stage not without a reason. big italian amateur teams are all into it and I hope like in spain they soon kick it so they can develop more believable talents with more margin for growth, because now these teams are so big and have so much money it's all about getting big results in their races instead of developing talent.

XlandaluzeX said:
this

also to mention 20 years old russian Evgeny SHALUNOV, who dominated every single spanish amateur race where he took part in

You kind of said it yourself Evgeny Shalunov is Russian, therefore he doesn’t really belong on a list concerning Spain’s most promising talents. Even though he might be racing in Spain, so I kinda know what you where getting at!

Anyway, you’re right though, he is indeed a fine talent. I remember seeing footage from the cat-1 climb (Alto de Brenes) in Vuelta al Baseya last year. He wore the climber jersey, but I was completely blow away by Bob Jungles on that stage. It was like watching a young Jan Ullrich the way he grinded up that climb, eating meter after meter on Kiril Sveshnikov before finally overtaking him before the top.

If I ever do a Top-10 talent list from Russia, I’m completely sure either Kiril Sveshnikov or Evgeny Shalunov will be on there. I am more hocked on Kiril Sveshnikov btw!

janraaskalt said:
Lots of these names are U23, not U21. Anyway, could you send a private message with a link to your blog. I am always interested in talented new cyclists?

If you read my post again you will see I wrote U-23 and junior scene. But I guess U-21 can be a bit misleading, although, in my defense all riders on my list bar Stefano Locatelli and Enrico Battaglin where and still are under 21 years of age. Fair enough you point it out though!

I actually took down my blog, because I wanted to start writing more in English. Therefore I am in the middle of translating all profiles into English. It’s a bigger task than I thought it would be. I always thought my English was kinda ok, but I just now recognized its below-par at best. Anyway I am doing my best, and will post the profiles when I get them all done. It might take a while though. I have only done 5 out of the 20 so far.

Actually I might post the five I’ve already done on here, while I do the rest.

Stefano Locatelli - 26/02/1989 - Team Colpack. In my eyes without a doubt still the biggest talent on the Italian U-23 scene. Started cycling at age 12, his debut came in a local criterium in his native town of Berbenno and the result must have pleased him a great deal. He crushed his fellow competitors in superior fashion. As a junior, he was completely dominant especially when the road tilted uphill he was totally in a class of his own. In 2006 and 2007 he became the most winning Italian junior rider collecting a combined total of 24 victories spread over the 2 seasons. 12 victories in 2006 and 12 victories in 2007. His fierce acceleration on the steepest of climbs drew comparison with one of Italy’s finest legends and earned him the nickname as ”Il nuovo Pantani”, The new Pantani. In 2008 his first as a U-23 rider he won two classical mountain-top finishes on the Italian calendar, Monte-Cengio and Pian Della Mussa. 2009 turned out to be a year with up and downs. He won the climbers jersey in the Baby Giro (Or the Giro-Bio as its so fancily is called today) and destroyed all opposition on the 7,4 km long Mountain TT up Roncola. He was, however diagnosed with Pfeiffer disease in late August and therefore sidelined for the rest of the season. In 2010 he was back firing at all cylinders. For the second year running, he won the Mountain TT up Roncola before he secured what to date is the biggest win of his career an impressive victory in Bassano-Montregrappa which ends with a gruelling 25 kilometer ascent up the legendary Monte-Grappa pas. At the end of 2010 an agreement with the powerful Liquigas squad was ready too be signed, but when sickness unfortunately once again struck, both parts agreed on postponing the transfer to the pro-ranks until 2012. Stefano Locatelli is 1.75cm tall and weighs 60kg. In 2009 he underwent a long line of test at the famed University of Bergamo. Among other, was his power to weight ration measured to a stunning 7/watt per kilo, which put him right up there test wise with some of the best elite climbers in the world. In 2011 he aims to win the Baby-Giro (Giro-Bio). His favorite climb is the Stelvio pas, and his idol as a cyclist in no other than the 7 time winner of Tour de France, Lance Armstrong.

Francesco Manuel Bongiorno - 01/09/1990 - Zalf Desiree Fior. Probably Italy´s most complete stage-race hope for the future. At the age of 10 he was already riding all the local highways in his home region of Reggio Calabria thin. When he turned 11 he was entered in the local cycle-club and since then its more or less only gone one way for the Italian shooting-star. His first year as a junior however, turned out to be a small catastrophe as a knee injury benched him for the first 5 months of the season. He did managed to sneak out a few results in the second part of the year, with among other two top-5 placing´s in the one-day time trail events Coppa Sagra del Conigilo and Gran Premio. Super Glaz. 2008 on the other hand was a big success. Stage and Overall victory in Tre Ciclista Breciana. Victory on the queen-stage in Giro Della Lunigiana (finish-line on top of the 6 kilometer long and steady Fasdinovo climb), A total of 6 victories combined with another ten top-5 placing´s was the result of an outstanding season. Several of the major Italian U-23 squads where ready with a contact to the young talent, therefor it also came as a surprise when the final choice fell on the rather small and modest A.S.D Futura Team. The reason for the change was rather simple. The former Italian top-rider Franco Chioccioli (Winner of the Giro d´Italia in 1991) and at that time director sportive at A.S.D Futura was the man with the plan. Chioccioli had followed Bongiorno since the youngster was only 14 years of age and was convinced and well aware of the enormous potential he possessed. The transfer to the U-23 category wasn't all that rosy in the beginning however. The increasing speed especially on the flat took its toll on young Bongiorno, and when the peloton finally reached his terrain (the mountains) he was usually cooked. Often he was not even in the front-group when they reached the climbs, as he had already been dropped before they even reached the inclines. And put in that perspective the 2009 season was not a kind memoria for the tiny climber. In 2010 things changed for the better. With four victories and twenty one other top-10 placing´s the year must be described as a thundering success. The breakthrough became evident for everyone in the International recognized Giro Ciclistico della Valle d'Aosta Mont Blanc. 3rd on overall GC and winner of the youth jersey was an extraordinary achievement. On several of the hardest stages he furthermore showed glimpse of his excellent conditions as grimpeur when he attacked the selective front group with his symptomatic fluid pedal stroke mixed with high cadence style of riding. Before the 2011 season Bongiorno changed team-colors when a shift to the highly respected Zalf Désirée Fior squad became a reality. The expectations to the young talent now living in the outskirts of Firenze are sky-high. The ambition is a podium place on GC in both Tour de Avenir and the Giro-Bio, goals which seam absolutely realistic for a talent of his caliber. Francesco Manuel Bongiorno is 1.70cm tall and weighs 58kg. His idol is Alberto Contador and when asked what race he dreams about winning in his career the answer is clear. The Giro d´Italia.

Enrico Battaglin - 17/11/1989 - Zalf Desiree Fior. Despite having the same last name and hailing from the same town of Marostica (Veneto) Enrico is in no way related to the Vuelta a Espana and the Giro d'Italia winner from 1981, Giovanni Battaglin. Instead Enrico is the son of a former amateur cyclist (Gianni Battaglin) who toured the Italian amateur calendar without much success expect for a few local victories on home soil in the Veneto region located North-east on the Italian boot. Despite his father´s lack of pedigree, Enrico has turned himself into one of Italy’s finest amateur riders. He started racing at age 7, his father was a constant support who followed him to all corners of the province in his early years. To date he possesses an impressive palmeres, with over 200 victories collected within a 15 year career time-span. His most notable wins to date include : Stage and Overall GC - Giro del Rigioni. GP Capodarco. GP San Guiseppe. All some of the more prestigious races on the Italian calendar. Enrico is an excellent climber who thrives in the high mountains besides also possessing a fast turn of speed towards the finishing line in smaller decimated groups. He is in many ways very comparable to one of his own big role models a certain Damiano Cunego. Despite his abilities in the mountains it's more than likely Battaglin will find himself focusing on the undulating 1-day events as a professional. His incredible poor skills against the clock hampers almost all GC aspirations in the most important Stage-Races around. His breakout season last year was eye-opener for many sports directors and true to nature Bruno Reverberi was the first one to react with a pre-contact to the young Italian. The final contact was signed mid september and its now official that Enrico Battaglin will represent the Colnago - CSF Inox squad in 2011. Battaglin is 1. 74cm tall and weighs 64 kilograms.

Luca Wackermann - 13/03/1992 - G.S Mastromarco. He tried football, swimming and basketball before turning to cycling at age 8. His father (Roberto Wackermann) himself a recognized amateur back in the early eighties, served as a splendid mentor and real driving force for his two oldest sons Luca and Marco Wackermann. As a cyclist everything came easy to young Luca right from the beginning. He almost vacuumed the youth categories and became the most winning Italian in both the allievi and junior category. His biggest triumph to date came on the 4th of July, when he won the European junior Road-Race championship in Belgium in a thrilling sprint in front of another young promising starlet Barry Markus of the Netherlands. His training rides normally takes place in the idyllic Tuscan landscape and often ends with a grueling sprint up the well know test-climb Monte Serra, where he and his normal training partners the Nibali bro´s (Vicenzo and Antonio) Damiano Caruso and Antonio Santoro battle it out, all guns blazing. His is a keen admirer of the Schleck brothers, and have recently been compeered to none other than Andy Schelck due to their identic lanky stature and similar rider- characteristics. Luca Wackermann is 1.86 cm tall and weighs 67 kilograms. He is very strong on the climbs/hills and furthermore packs a lethal sprint in minor reduced groups. His potential seams unlimited and might well lead him to a protagonist in all the biggest stage-races and hilly one-day classics around. His favorite climb is Madonna del Ghisallo. His love for the climb came in 2008, during the traditional hill-climb race Bollate/Ghisallo where he finished 3rd and proved to be the strongest with numerous attacks and aggressive riding, only to see himself beaten in the end by two rolling lotto-tickets who´s Indian break-away paid off and rob him for his glory.

Sonny Colbrelli - 17/05/1990 - Zalf Desiree Fior. 21 year old protégée from Desenzano(Bs) currently studying Mechanical engineering at the University in Brescia during the winter-months and thereby following a new trend among young up and coming cyclist now seeking to educated themselves while pursuing their dream on the bike. Growing up on a small farm in the outskirts of Desenzano also meant 10 kms to school everyday, a trip young Colbrelli by the age of 11 was used to doing by bike. The grand total of 20 kms cycling a day appealed to him and he was entered in the local cycle-club in 2001. His 2 years in the junior category equaled 7 victories and 40 other top-10 placings. Results which all opened the door to some of the biggest U-23 squads in Italy. The choice fell on Zalf Desiree Fior! Both in 2009 and 2010 Colbrelli established himself as one of the most prominent names on the Italian amateur scene. His resilience to get over the smaller climbs mixed with his excellent sprinting abilities earned him the stamp as a future classicomano. In 2011 Colbrelli have started the season in convincing fashion as well, already raking up one victory (GP de Nardi), followed by another seven top-5 placings. His big ambitions for 2011 though, is the U/23 World Road-Race Championships in Denmark, on a course which seams tailor-made for him. He surely must be counted to the inner circles of favorites for the U-23 rainbows. Just like his companion Enrico Battaglin, Colbrelli is secured a spot in the pro-peloton in 2012 having signed a 2 year contract with Colnago - CSF Inox. He dreams of following in the foot-steeps of another former companion Sasha Modolo, aiming towards the spring-classics and mixing it up in the bunch-gallops as well. Sonny Colbrelli is 1. 76cm tall and weighs 72 kilograms.

Evgeny Shalunov just won the intermediate sprints competition at the Vuelta a Asturias. The Russian team in general had a good race, with Sveshniskov looking very good too. Sergey Shilov was 2nd in a sprint and a time trial, but has already spent a bit of time on the naughty step as an espoir.

Jakob747 said:
I actually took down my blog, because I wanted to start writing more in English. Therefore I am in the middle of translating all profiles into English. It’s a bigger task than I thought it would be. I always thought my English was kinda ok, but I just now recognized its below-par at best. Anyway I am doing my best, and will post the profiles when I get them all done. It might take a while though. I have only done 5 out of the 20 so far.

Good choice. Keep them coming!

Jakob747 said:

I thought you were actually working as a english teacher besides being a cyclingtalent expert :)

Anyways great work, I look forward to reading the rest of the profiles.

TRENDING THREADS