• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I hate Armstrong, but hope that he wins the tour??? I need help!!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

MattSoutherden said:
Quite funny, considering today's news. :)

lets hope my s**** l'equipe page is just a s****.. :eek:

i think as far as dekker goes, we all think rabobank.. but lotto must have known.. which makes you wonder..

ok.. .WHY THE BLAZES ARNT I ALLOWED TO SAY S.P.O.O.F

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
it's not risking anything if:

- they're not testing for what you're using
- you're "only" reinjecting your own blood plasma with strict medical monitoring of the values to ensure zero suspicion and you are 100% confident of this. This is still worryingly easy and prevalent, and the Bio Passport hasn't helped.
- you're not using anything risky during the Tour - you did all your preparations beforehand.
- You believe / know that they're not going to act upon what you might potentially be at risk of testing positive for, because to do so harms them economically because the sport is all about you and there is a lucrative fan base and corporate sponsorship market to be exploited.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If he rides clean(ish) he won't win. He isn't good enough anymore and has been out of competition too long. He can work for Contador, maybe get into the top 20, and the positive spin will be 38yr old ex-champ in remarkable comeback, selflessly helps teammate, finishes race despite really suffering, shows that when he was younger he definitely had the talent and ability, doing it for cancer victims etc etc.

If he dopes (extensively) he has an outside chance - but is taking a risk of further tarnishing his reputation. Not that I believe the UCI has either the balls or the intent to target him.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Lance tested positive for corticoïd. That was cleared illegaly by UCI. But Lance's 1999 urines had rEPO inside and witnesses made testimonies about Lance Armstrong's doping.

Lance has big ego that is why he is back, to prove that his doctor is still the best.

Lance don't need money? Why did he took the $2.000.000 fees of cancer conference at Tour Down Under? Why did he give it to his foundation?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What I find hard to believe is the fallacy that Armstrong made the tour more exciting. Absolute Hogwash. Letting your plumped up domestiques to drag you up the cols for 7 years in a row was a predictable borefest. The only people who made it exciting were the Ullrich's, Mayo's and Pantani's having a dig, and we all know what they were on.

I hope the man in giant syringe turns up on Ventoux. That would make my day/tour!!

mitch1 said:
Ask yourself this.. Why would armstrong after winning the tour 7 times and never tested positive for anything, come back to the tdf and risk his entire career if he was on ped's now? And if he isn't on them now he couldn't seriously be considering challenging the overall could he? He definately doesn't need the money (and isn't getting paid anyway), he has nothing to prove and alot to lose as far as i can see.... BUT i can't see him losing. The tour is his thing and judging by his condition in the Giro, all things considered, he'll win it for sure... and i totally agree that the tour with him in it is alot more exciting to watch, even the lance haters would have to agree with that! Sorry i've been reading alot of lance hating posts but no way can i see myself turning into one. In saying that there's alot of other riders personalities i like as much as his, but there's no others that compare in the tour. He's good for the sport in my opinion.... Bring it on this weekend... yeeeeha!!

Never tested positive for anything? Yawn....
Money - appearance fees such as the ones he got for the TDU and the Giro aren't bad, for someone not doing it for the money. The guy has to live of course. Shame about him putting his video updates on his for profit website. Maybe someone should point this out to him, as I'm sure it's a mistake.
Why is he coming back and 'risking' it? Politics obviously, an ego the size of Texas, and an obvious 'understanding' between himself, the UCI, and the ASO. Money talks, and whilst I don't agree, Lance is serious money for an organisation such as the UCI, which as Lemond put it, is on a slow death march. Lance is coming to Ireland in September to do the Tour of Ireland. The organiser/promoter of the event: Darach McQuaid, Pat's brother. When someone like lance decides to race the Tour of Ireland, at such a point in his season, one wonders what is in it for him....you couldn't make this sh** up.

All this hate/love Lance stuff aside, my main reservation about Lance winning this year is that it makes a complete mockery of the current set of GC contenders and he would be doing it at 37 or 38.

I want to see Contador, Shleck and the rest of the new breed stick it too him and send out the message that they're actually quite good and Lance has had his time. I may be completely wrong but I just cannot see Lance staying with Contador, the Schlecks, Gesink and the rest of the climbers on Ventoux let alone sprint of from the rest like he did in 2000.

The route does suit him though so I don't think he'll do too badly.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
All this hate/love Lance stuff aside, my main reservation about Lance winning this year is that it makes a complete mockery of the current set of GC contenders and he would be doing it at 37 or 38.

I want to see Contador, Shleck and the rest of the new breed stick it too him and send out the message that they're actually quite good and Lance has had his time. I may be completely wrong but I just cannot see Lance staying with Contador, the Schlecks, Gesink and the rest of the climbers on Ventoux let alone sprint of from the rest like he did in 2000.

The route does suit him though so I don't think he'll do too badly.

Sorry but you've got a total lack of respect there bud, you're talking about a 7 time winner.. 'makes a complete mockery of the current GC contenders? what the ****! he IS a gc contender!!! "the route suits him? Yea just like the route suited him the other 7 times... hey i'm not a Lance lover by any means, but i fully respect the guy and admire his incredible talent, and you can bet this weekend when he lines up for the tour he'll mean business...

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
so many claims of French whining about Lance.....so little actual evidence.

The sports pages in France are full of Lance stories, there are people with the wristbands and anyone who stands to make any money out of the tour, ASO, the media, bike companies, hotels, restaurants are positively loving the extra attention Lance brings this year.

But don't let that stand in the way of a childish and ignorant "French are whiny little girls who can't win wars or bike races" stereotype will you?

LA opinion in France is more or less the same as everywhere else. Casual "3 week" observers are fascinated by him, and those with a longer term interest in the sport tend to be sceptical.

Lance is great at winding up his base though, with these great stories about how he fears for his safety. He will make a great conservative politician in the future.
Thanks for that reasoned thought.

A

Anonymous

Mongol_Waaijer said:
so many claims of French whining about Lance.....so little actual evidence.

The sports pages in France are full of Lance stories, there are people with the wristbands and anyone who stands to make any money out of the tour, ASO, the media, bike companies, hotels, restaurants are positively loving the extra attention Lance brings this year.

But don't let that stand in the way of a childish and ignorant "French are whiny little girls who can't win wars or bike races" stereotype will you?

LA opinion in France is more or less the same as everywhere else. Casual "3 week" observers are fascinated by him, and those with a longer term interest in the sport tend to be sceptical.

Lance is great at winding up his base though, with these great stories about how he fears for his safety. He will make a great conservative politician in the future.

Nah, politics is a nasty business and his past will haunt him too much for that to be a reality on a national level. He might win some state stuff, but with an ego like his, that will not cut it.

mitch1 said:
Sorry but you've got a total lack of respect there bud, you're talking about a 7 time winner.. 'makes a complete mockery of the current GC contenders? what the ****! he IS a gc contender!!! "the route suits him? Yea just like the route suited him the other 7 times... hey i'm not a Lance lover by any means, but i fully respect the guy and admire his incredible talent, and you can bet this weekend when he lines up for the tour he'll mean business...

I don't think I have a lack of respect at all, I was simply saying IF lance wins this year he has basically shown that the current crop of riders are not that good. If he does beat Contador he has proved that not only was he the best in his prime but even at 38 he is better than the rest. I for one, don't believe this to be the case, I actually think Contador could be a better rider than Lance - time will tell. So in a way I only want my assumption that there are some good riders around today to be confirmed.

Yes Lance won 7 tours, that's pretty good I agree but I don't think he is the best tour rider ever. I also want to see someone else win, I am allowed to support someone besides Lance.

A

Anonymous

centurionomega said:
My biggest fear is that in the US somehow this guy winds up to be president some day. Forget the tour de France, how about Lance: commander in chief.

...do you guys have another sewage treatment plant without a name?

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Nah, politics is a nasty business and his past will haunt him too much for that to be a reality on a national level. He might win some state stuff, but with an ego like his, that will not cut it.

Governaotor Schwarzenegger has done pretty well as a former steroid user.

Just because he went riding with Bush doesn't mean he'd be a conservative. Bush had the purse with the caner research money in it.

A

Anonymous

jackhammer111 said:
Governaotor Schwarzenegger has done pretty well as a former steroid user.

Just because he went riding with Bush doesn't mean he'd be a conservative. Bush had the purse with the caner research money in it.

Different scenario completely. Plus his escapades with various women will be used against him.

I have said before, if he thinks things were ugly over the TdF/doping, that was a child's game to what happens in politics. He could win something like Texas State House, but once he steps on the national stage, there are people there who will eat him alive. But I welcome his participation because I would live to watch the sharks devour him.

The PR campaign he plays in the media and with his commercials is tiddly winks compared to that played by people like Hillary Clinton or Tom Delay.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Different scenario completely. Plus his escapades with various women will be used against him.

I have said before, if he thinks things were ugly over the TdF/doping, that was a child's game to what happens in politics. He could win something like Texas State House, but once he steps on the national stage, there are people there who will eat him alive. But I welcome his participation because I would live to watch the sharks devour him.

The PR campaign he plays in the media and with his commercials is tiddly winks compared to that played by people like Hillary Clinton or Tom Delay.

how is it different? Arnold had plenty of women coming out saying bad things.

Governator is a good example of how if you have enough fans the bad things people say about you don't matter.

Personaly, I prefer lawmakers with an education or experience in law or things related to public policy but Lance is not doubt tough enough.

A

Anonymous

jackhammer111 said:

Governator is a good example of how if you have enough fans the bad things people say about you don't matter.

Personaly, I prefer lawmakers with an education or experience in law or things related to public policy but Lance is not doubt tough enough.

Again, he might be able to attain Governor of Texas, but on a national level, he wouldn't cut it. Again, it is like comparing AAA ball to the big leagues. Ole Arnie ain't gonna cut it nationally either. So, thanks for proving my point. I never said he couldn't make it in Texas.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
I literally hate everything about him, from the way he looks right to his bullying and arrogant behaviour. I cringed everytime he won in his prior tours and wished Ullrich would beat him severely. Almost cried when Ullrich lost the tour to him in 2003. I hate everything that comes out of his lying mouth. He's one big con.

However, I loved watching him race. He adds excitement to the sport with his doped up body and attacking style. The problem is Part of me, wants him to win the TdF this year??? Why!!!! It's more than just wanting a good show, especially after the non attacking riding of last year. I think I better admit myself into a psychiatric hospital. Surely I'm not becoming an Armstrong fan.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have problems!!!!

jackhammer111 said:

I am always astounded by how clueless you are. It is like a dagger stuck in my view of humanity and twisted.

No one was surprised that Schwarzenegger used steroids. Everyone assumes that all pro body builders are drug users, and they are right. Armstrong has built his whole public persona around a lie. It is an open sore that would be exploited to the fullest by any politician with a modicum of competence in his profession.

Writers like Walsh and Ballester are given very small budgets to write books. Almost all--in many cases all--of the advance is spent flitting around here and there, doing interviews and paying for people's lunches. The amount of money spent by Walsh is a drop in the bucket compared to what a political dirt digging operations would spend in a Senate or governor race.

And the dirt is there. Lots of it. All cycling fans with a brain cell or two know exactly how Armstrong achieved his wins. It is no mystery. Some of this has bled into the popular imagination but not a lot. George Carlin opened his last standup act with the line, "F*** Lance Armstrong and his steroids." In Armstrong's case the political operatives would not even have to shade the truth, but that would not stop them from doing it. You give the king makers the wealth of material that Armstrong provides, and they will have a heyday with it.

Armstrong's problems go far beyond doping. He cheated riders out of their end of season prize winnings. Ask Tyler Hamilton about Haven and Armstrong some time.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
nobody said:
to dope without beeing caught.

Nobody...you really are a nobody why do you bother with your dumbass one liners. 34 tests since his comeback and no positives = clean in most sane peoples minds. Of course a million clear tests wouldn't satisfy the idiots who post crap on here.(yeah I'm talking about you BroDeal, amongst others, your last post being a classic) But really nobody..pull your head out and enjoy the race!

Bagster said:
Nobody...you really are a nobody why do you bother with your dumbass one liners. 34 tests since his comeback and no positives = clean in most sane peoples minds. Of course a million clear tests wouldn't satisfy the idiots who post crap on here. But really man..pull your head out and enjoy the race!

Don't forget about the six positives for EPO. No matter how many samples are negative there are still those six positives. Why don't you take your delusions to the doping forum where they can be more fully discussed? Double dare you. :)