"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head"

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
1
0
thehog said:
Don't worry Lance is doing his best and he and Bono are working on ways that "One" and "Livestrong" can join together.

Judging by an article in the New York Post today they will be a great match!

__

ONE gives only a pittance in direct charitable support to its causes -- something Borochoff said the average donor might not realize.

The Bono nonprofit took in $14,993,873 in public donations in 2008, the latest year for which tax records are available.

Of that, $184,732 was distributed to three charities, according to the IRS filing.

Meanwhile, more than $8 million was spent on executive and employee salaries.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/poor_idea_bono_bsUzJMfT2mBJbqyXgp6YoO
Why don´t some of us just create something like the same? The foundation could be called "Defend Armstrong". We post and give links to our website in all the Lance-Threads around the world. May fanboys will donate like they did to Landis. We get rich and the fanboys suffer. That´s 2 in 1. It doesn´t get any better. :)

In germany it needs only 7 people to create such a non profit organisation. All legal. All tax free in germany.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Why don´t some of us just create something like the same? The foundation could be called "Defend Armstrong". We post and give links to our website in all the Lance-Threads around the world. May fanboys will donate like they did to Landis. We get rich and the fanboys suffer..
It might not work. Most of the fanboys were already leery after their donations to the "Tyler Hamilton Foundation". Then the whole "Floyd Fairness Fund" debacle....pushed them over the edge. Still licking their wounds and a bit too soon for them to donate to our slush-fund foundation.

Dammit Floyd, why'd you have to go and ruin it for the rest of us?? :p

Side note: I always thought LA was a ***, but Bono? C'mon, can't be true!!
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
It might not work. Most of the fanboys were already leery after their donations to the "Tyler Hamilton Foundation". Then the whole "Floyd Fairness Fund" debacle....pushed them over the edge. Still licking their wounds and a bit too soon for them to donate to our slush-fund foundation.

Dammit Floyd, why'd you have to go and ruin it for the rest of us?? :p

Side note: I always thought LA was a ***, but Bono? C'mon, can't be true!!
They probably never had much to contribute, living in Mom's basement and all. That, and their tongues are dry from licking that Discovery skinsuit they bought on Ebay. "But the guy said He actually wore it in the race!"
 
Sep 23, 2009
409
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
It might not work. Most of the fanboys were already leery after their donations to the "Tyler Hamilton Foundation". Then the whole "Floyd Fairness Fund" debacle....pushed them over the edge. Still licking their wounds and a bit too soon for them to donate to our slush-fund foundation.

Dammit Floyd, why'd you have to go and ruin it for the rest of us?? :p

Side note: I always thought LA was a ***, but Bono? C'mon, can't be true!!


Bonos is so big, there's no band aid that would cover it. Thayt guy even disrespects the devil.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
back to mcilvain...ok, so we heard these disgusting tapes. her suppressed rage was liberated as thehog astutely remarked. but how will it play in her testimony ? i don't know if it's a given that she'll break down. look, if she trusts her lawyer's research (and i'm not aware of any new evidence that could corroborate andreu's) she could just continue to lie and refer to a nervous breakdown regarding those crazy messages. why not ??

she will probably be testifying today-tomorrow, if the article's source was right.
something tells me, the leaks will not wait long ;)
 
python said:
back to mcilvain...ok, so we heard these disgusting tapes. her suppressed rage was liberated as thehog astutely remarked. but how will it play in her testimony ? i don't know if it's a given that she'll break down. look, if she trusts her lawyer's research (and i'm not aware of any new evidence that could corroborate andreu's) she could just continue to lie and refer to a nervous breakdown regarding those crazy messages. why not ??
If it were a couple of recordings by Andreu on one day then the I-went-temporarily-crazy ploy might work, but the additional Lemond tape puts a wee bit of a hole in the strategy. There is also the high probability that she discussed the situation with other people.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
BroDeal said:
If it were a couple of recordings by Andreu on one day then the I-went-temporarily-crazy ploy might work, but the additional Lemond tape puts a wee bit of a hole in the strategy. There is also the high probability that she discussed the situation with other people.
a huge hole!

i imagine this was discussed with lots of the LA camp and others will corroborate this. i imagine the Feds/Novitsky will be looking for the doctor's who interviewed LA, who mysteriously disappeared but i reckon they'll be found and their notes/files too.
 
Jun 15, 2009
835
0
0
Benotti69 said:
a huge hole!

i imagine this was discussed with lots of the LA camp and others will corroborate this. i imagine the Feds/Novitsky will be looking for the doctor's who interviewed LA, who mysteriously disappeared but i reckon they'll be found and their notes/files too.
Don't get your hopes up! Medical records are most likely off-limits.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Race Radio said:
Well, we do know that the charity paid close to $2,000,000 for his private jet last year. We also know that he will make over $12,000,000 from the pimping of the charities name to Demand Media.
Do you have a link for these stats RR. Not challanging you, would like to put the info elswhere. Its often a suprisingly uphill struggle discediting LA here in the UK.

Ta, Daz
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
hektoren said:
Don't get your hopes up! Medical records are most likely off-limits.
that's where i'm getting confused..if they were, then dr. nickols's hollow assurances that none of the andreu's witnessed things could be found in armstrong's medical records at indiana uni hospital would be admissible. but his affidavit was cited all over the sca case.. so i imagine in the similar vane an actual doctor could be found (or perhaps to volunteer).

but it's doubtful b/c we'd read it in nyt the next day after novi sealed it:p
 
Thanks for the link, Hog-but after reading it I think this sentence that preceded your quote should be added, because to me it gets to the crux of the matter-(the sentence underlined below)-

thehog said:
Hunter countered that ONE "does advocacy work, not charity work."

ONE gives only a pittance in direct charitable support to its causes -- something Borochoff said the average donor might not realize.

The Bono nonprofit took in $14,993,873 in public donations in 2008, the latest year for which tax records are available.

Of that, $184,732 was distributed to three charities, according to the IRS filing.

Meanwhile, more than $8 million was spent on executive and employee salaries.
Advocacy work versus charity work. Very few people can tell the difference. The mission statements written by slick marketing firms certainly aren't going to clarify their positions in regards to how exactly donated money gets spent, so it's good that people do their research so they can reach an informed opinion, as opposed to the oft-quoted shriek of "...but Armstrong has raised millions for cancer!!!" as if every penny of that money gets directly injected into the IV's of every chemo patient in the United States.

Wyclef Jean did the same thing with his charity, and when exposed took his self-righteous indignation to unparalleled heights by saying anyone who flew directly to Haiti to clear out rotting corpses, like he and his wife did, could never be scammers.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
BroDeal said:
If it were a couple of recordings by Andreu on one day then the I-went-temporarily-crazy ploy might work....
Who needs a "crazy" defense? To me she sounds drunk during BOTH calls. She calls back to say "sorry I was drunk", but then she sounds even more illucid in the 2nd call. (I swear at one point during the 2nd call, I heard wine gllasses clinking..)

Anyways, b/w that and the painkillers she mentions she is on, any easy defense would be, "I'm a lush w/ a bad habit of drunk-dialing!". Anything she'd have said might be no more reliable than anything uttered by Floyd or Lemond -- who we all know have drinking problems themselves :rolleyes:

Hmm, someone mentioned the timeline of LA-McIlvain sex and birth of her child. That would be ultimately trainwreck-fascinating, but unless validated I can't buy into it...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Berzin said:
Let me get this straight-Armstrong and McIlvian once dated?

And what about the rumor that Lance also had a fling with Haven Hamilton? Is this also true?
The thing with Haven is confusing. She's a brunette.
 
Mar 10, 2009
504
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
... any easy defense would be, "I'm a lush w/ a bad habit of drunk-dialing!". Anything she'd have said might be no more reliable than anything uttered by Floyd or Lemond -- who we all know have drinking problems themselves :rolleyes: ...
In general, the two most typically unfiltered sources of information are drunks and children. Clearly she's not the latter.
 
The lady is severely conflicted. The relationship to her employer, friends and business associates leave her in a position whereby her testimony is tenuous at best. Believe me when I say the Feds have very little interest in the hospital room conversation. Well more to the point they’re not attempting to prove one way or the other whether Mr. Armstrong stated he used PED’s or not. This is ancillary information. What interests them much more if witness tampering had occurred and whether there was any payments or the promise of future positions for the Oakley Rep in question. The other question that comes to mind that whether Oakley themselves have passed on payments to Armstrong whether by sponsorship or direct payments in keeping the story straight at the SCA trial. The courts files from the Anderson case showed that Armstrong often lent on witnesses by either using the promise of future business arrangements or providing medical support to those who need treatment for various cancers. She won’t plead insanity because you can’t if you’re holding down a key position within a profitable company. She can’t plead the “I was drunk” defence because there is more than 3 messages – ie you can’t say you were drunk once – being drunk is your way of telling the truth. Therefore I think she’s will plead the 5th due to the her conflicted arrangement with her employer. The Feds will seek immunity from employment ramifications for her and then she can testify her little coattails off. She’s under immense stress, largely brought upon herself but there is a certain someone who’s not helping her resolve the issue on her own and say what she wants to say. To this point; this is why I have a problem with the Landis haters. To understand what it meant for him to come clean. He couldn’t possibly knowing that what they would bring. How was he going to tell the truth back in 2006 when Armstrong was still the biggest name in cycling and the 1999 positives was still in the news. Both Landis and the Oakley girl not only feel they are speaking out against Armstrong but all of his disciples. Take one look at the VeloNews comments and you know what kind of retribution that brings.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
thehog said:
The lady is severely conflicted. The relationship to her employer, friends and business associates leave her in a position whereby her testimony is tenuous at best. Believe me when I say the Feds have very little interest in the hospital room conversation. Well more to the point they’re not attempting to prove one way or the other whether Mr. Armstrong stated he used PED’s or not. This is ancillary information. What interests them much more if witness tampering had occurred and whether there was any payments or the promise of future positions for the Oakley Rep in question. The other question that comes to mind that whether Oakley themselves have passed on payments to Armstrong whether by sponsorship or direct payments in keeping the story straight at the SCA trial. The courts files from the Anderson case showed that Armstrong often lent on witnesses by either using the promise of future business arrangements or providing medical support to those who need treatment for various cancers. She won’t plead insanity because you can’t if you’re holding down a key position within a profitable company. She can’t plead the “I was drunk” defence because there is more than 3 messages – ie you can’t say you were drunk once – being drunk is your way of telling the truth. Therefore I think she’s will plead the 5th due to the her conflicted arrangement with her employer. The Feds will seek immunity from employment ramifications for her and then she can testify her little coattails off. She’s under immense stress, largely brought upon herself but there is a certain someone who’s not helping her resolve the issue on her own and say what she wants to say. To this point; this is why I have a problem with the Landis haters. To understand what it meant for him to come clean. He couldn’t possibly knowing that what they would bring. How was he going to tell the truth back in 2006 when Armstrong was still the biggest name in cycling and the 1999 positives was still in the news. Both Landis and the Oakley girl not only feel they are speaking out against Armstrong but all of his disciples. Take one look at the VeloNews comments and you know what kind of retribution that brings.
Good post.

The thing I find strange about much of this is how much power is given to Lance by those in his periphery. Floyd finally let go and when Stephanie does her life will begin to get back on track.

It's as if these people think if they turn on Lance or the omerta they will be shot dead in the streets. There are lots of ways to make a living outside of cycling. At the end of the day these people would likely tell you none of this was worth it. My 2 cents.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Good post.

The thing I find strange about much of this is how much power is given to Lance by those in his periphery... There are lots of ways to make a living outside of cycling.
Yes and no. For example, Frankie has 3 kids. If were to have flipped and been black-balled from the industry, what then? I'm guessing (just guessing) that he didn't go to college. Seems like a very well-spoken intelligent guy, but no college degree is a big X if you are searching outside the industry. Also, what is his income today as DS of "Kenda", compared to when he was at Toyota? I'm guessing it's considerably less. So he already has taken a hit, and that was for BARELY speaking out ("I doped, but it was not team-wide, nobody pressured me.")

Floyd -- no college degree either, right? Yeah he could find a job, perhaps retail manager, asst. daytime manager at Panera. It still looks like a blackhole on your resume when you can't list a single job you've held in the past 10yrs other than "professional cyclist".

Another example, MichaelCreed. His wife works at SRM/Powermeter, I believe. Yeah, he may have ridden to the top of the wall in SanFran and dismounted his bike as a way of saying FU! to Johan, but he knows to keep his mouth shut lest he and his wife suddenly find they are both out of work.

So, I don't think its surprising at all. When one guy (Yellow) holds so much power over the whole industry (manufacturers, retailers, UCI, race organizers), most ppl keep their opinions to themselves.
 
NashbarShorts said:
Yes and no. For example, Frankie has 3 kids. If were to have flipped and been black-balled from the industry, what then? I'm guessing (just guessing) that he didn't go to college. Seems like a very well-spoken intelligent guy, but no college degree is a big X if you are searching outside the industry. Also, what is his income today as DS of "Kenda", compared to when he was at Toyota? I'm guessing it's considerably less. So he already has taken a hit, and that was for BARELY speaking out ("I doped, but it was not team-wide, nobody pressured me.")

Floyd -- no college degree either, right? Yeah he could find a job, perhaps retail manager, asst. daytime manager at Panera. It still looks like a blackhole on your resume when you can't list a single job you've held in the past 10yrs other than "professional cyclist".

Then look at a guy like MCreed. He recently had an interview in cyclingnews (yawn). His wife works at SRM/Powermeter, I believe. Yeah, he may have ridden to the top of the wall in SanFran and dismounted his bike as a way of saying FU to Johan, but he knows to keep his mouth shut lest he and his wife are suddenly both out of work.

So, I don' think its surprising at all. When one guy (Yellow) holds so much power over the whole industry (manufacturers, retailers, UCI, race organizers), most ppl keep their head down and speak cautiously.
The Anderson court documents state that Anderson was phoned by a mutual friend of both he and Armstrong and told “…you know Lance can make one phone call and you’ll never work in he bike industry again?” !

Subtle!

Too much good for too many people.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Berzin said:
Let me get this straight-Armstrong and McIlvian once dated?

And what about the rumor that Lance also had a fling with Haven Hamilton? Is this also true?
Dated is a nice way of saying it. Friends with benefits might be a better description.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Do you have a link for these stats RR. Not challanging you, would like to put the info elswhere. Its often a suprisingly uphill struggle discediting LA here in the UK.

Ta, Daz
You can find the travel numbers in the combined audit report of the livestrong family of charities. The 2009 travel expenses total almost $2 million ($1,922,995). For comparison, the National Cancer Coalition, with 5 times as much money raised on the most recent tax form I could find ('08), only claimed $108,559 in travel expenses.

Recently Demand media filed to go public. In their S-1 they detail the Warrants they gave Armstrong and CSE in exchange for the rights to the Livestrong name. Armstrong will make at least $10 million if he exercise and sells at the IPO but it could have significant upside if the stock performs.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1365038/000104746910007151/a2199583zs-1.htm
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Race Radio said:
You can find the travel numbers in the combined audit report of the livestrong family of charities. The 2009 travel expenses total almost $2 million ($1,922,995). For comparison, the National Cancer Coalition, with 5 times as much money raised on the most recent tax form I could find ('08), only claimed $108,559 in travel expenses.

Recently Demand media filed to go public. In their S-1 they detail the Warrants they gave Armstrong and CSE in exchange for the rights to the Livestrong name. Armstrong will make at least $10 million if he exercise and sells at the IPO but it could have significant upside if the stock performs.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1365038/000104746910007151/a2199583zs-1.htm

Many thanks RR. will happily pass the info on , ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
NashbarShorts said:
Yes and no. For example, Frankie has 3 kids. If were to have flipped and been black-balled from the industry, what then? I'm guessing (just guessing) that he didn't go to college. Seems like a very well-spoken intelligent guy, but no college degree is a big X if you are searching outside the industry. Also, what is his income today as DS of "Kenda", compared to when he was at Toyota? I'm guessing it's considerably less. So he already has taken a hit, and that was for BARELY speaking out ("I doped, but it was not team-wide, nobody pressured me.")

Floyd -- no college degree either, right? Yeah he could find a job, perhaps retail manager, asst. daytime manager at Panera. It still looks like a blackhole on your resume when you can't list a single job you've held in the past 10yrs other than "professional cyclist".

Another example, MichaelCreed. His wife works at SRM/Powermeter, I believe. Yeah, he may have ridden to the top of the wall in SanFran and dismounted his bike as a way of saying FU! to Johan, but he knows to keep his mouth shut lest he and his wife suddenly find they are both out of work.

So, I don't think its surprising at all. When one guy (Yellow) holds so much power over the whole industry (manufacturers, retailers, UCI, race organizers), most ppl keep their opinions to themselves.
The world is a pretty big place. There are tons of success stories from folks who never spent one minute in college. Just because you have experience from one aspect of one industry does not mean much in the greater scheme of things.

Creed and Frankie are reasonably bright guys. My guess is Creed will be successful in whatever he decides to do. Frankie chooses to stay in cycling but he would be just fine outside of it.

Floyd? He's got a tough road to hoe, but it's not like he has no discipline or work ethic. He will find his way.

I don't know what TexPat does as a chosen profession but, from some of his posts, he seems quite content in NZ.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS