• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...e_voicemails_now_part_of_armstrong_probe.html

Lance Armstrong has consistently and aggressively denied using artificial performance enhancement on his way to seven Tour de France victories, and his supporters often suggest that people who accuse him of doping do so for fame, jealousy or profit.

But anyone who thinks it pays to accuse such a popular athlete of wrongdoing should listen to a pair of voicemails that Betsy Andreu, an Armstrong critic, woke up to in the spring of 2008. The messages were from Stephanie McIlvain, a close friend of Armstrong's who worked for one of his sponsors, the Oakley eyewear company.

Abusive and histrionic, the tapes have recently become evidence in the expanding federal probe into possible doping conspiracies on Armstrong's cycling teams.

"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head," McIlvain tells Andreu in the first message. "I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life, and you have some type of tragedy that will…definitely make an impact on you."

May 20, 2010
Visit site
That's hideous.
Having been on the receiving end of threats from L Inc, I can say that what Betsy heard was particularly vicious.
Very wise of her to save those messages. I only wish that I had done some recording myself.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
SI's first voicemail was heavy, but she was contrite in the second. She seemed to be saying she understands BA's 'quest' but objects to all the little people who'll be destroyed in the process.

Obviously I'm not privvy to the whole caper, but releasing the voicemails to the media? To law enforcement or the courts, yes, but to the media after SI's heartfelt apology?

This is the human tragedy of the LA Affair: the otherwise honest minor players caught up in an evil game: like Cornwall's steward in King Lear. A nobody who died for having principles and defying his boss (who was plucking the eyes out of a former friend.)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Damn, is that chick just an alcoholic or bipolar? Seriously, wishing someone and their family tragedy because they're simply telling the truth about a dirtball like Lance? What a cold, heartless, evil, horrible person.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
jmax22 said:
Damn, is that chick just an alcoholic or bipolar? Seriously, wishing someone and their family tragedy because they're simply telling the truth about a dirtball like Lance? What a cold, heartless, evil, horrible person.

"If you ever want to work in the bike business, you'll cut this sh*& out."
From another fine member of the family.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...e_voicemails_now_part_of_armstrong_probe.html

"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head," McIlvain tells Andreu in the first message. "I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life, and you have some type of tragedy that will…definitely make an impact on you."
I'm sure Oakley will love the publicity.
2h6eipx.jpg

Novitzky should give her some wine before her GJ.

TexPat said:
It's a train wreck.

Interesting to note that "little ole single mom who lied to take care of sick child" turns out to be "drug and booze filled hate crazed women living with a very big lie". Funny how thesre things turn out.

Sounds to me she was pressured. I wonder how much hush she got paid..... You'd only react this way if you were hating yourself.

And as wordy stated.. this is the fall out from Lance. This is how's he's hurt so many people. Disgusting.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
SI's first voicemail was heavy, but she was contrite in the second. She seemed to be saying she understands BA's 'quest' but objects to all the little people who'll be destroyed in the process.

Obviously I'm not privvy to the whole caper, but releasing the voicemails to the media? To law enforcement or the courts, yes, but to the media after SI's heartfelt apology?

This is the human tragedy of the LA Affair: the otherwise honest minor players caught up in an evil game: like Cornwall's steward in King Lear. A nobody who died for having principles and defying his boss (who was plucking the eyes out of a former friend.)

I guess we don't know what her relationship was with the publication. Maybe they believed that she and Frankie told the truth - there wasn't a lot of that. How many people could she talk to about it?

But yeah, I think we'll be shocked at just how many people suffered at the hands of Armstrong and company. I hope people will get a chance to talk, and feel vindicated when this is all over.

I got threatened via twitter for coming up with Wheel Gate (but to be fair, I think that was someone from here :eek:) People also took me to task when I circulated the photo of Lance yelling at Alberto after the original vanished. There was a real estate lawyer from Florida, someone from California, a bike shop owner from Missouri, and someone who said the curse of Juan Pelota was on me. All I did was tweet a photo to every cycling publication I knew, and to the procycling hash tag. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who have personal contact with the tossers.

Andreu gave the voicemails to the Daily News two and a half years ago, right after receiving them. Then and now, Andreu said she shared the tapes to illustrate how much nastiness she faced for testifying against Armstrong in a 2005 arbitration case.

"I wanted to show what kind of treatment we were getting," Andreu says. "When I got those phone calls, I was worried on one hand and disgusted on the other."

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I guess we don't know what her relationship was with the publication. Maybe they believed that she and Frankie told the truth - there wasn't a lot of that. How many people could she talk to about it?

But yeah, I think we'll be shocked at just how many people suffered at the hands of Armstrong and company. I hope people will get a chance to talk, and feel vindicated when this is all over.

I got threatened via twitter for coming up with Wheel Gate (but to be fair, I think that was someone from here :eek:) People also took me to task when I circulated the photo of Lance yelling at Alberto after the original vanished. There was a real estate lawyer from Florida, someone from California, a bike shop owner from Missouri, and someone who said the curse of Juan Pelota was on me. All I did was tweet a photo to every cycling publication I knew, and to the procycling hash tag. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who have personal contact with the tossers.

Yes, few of us know what it must be like to know the truth and be villified for it in this context. Believe me, I don't know Betsy at all and imagine she is a real strong-willed little gadfly, but I respect her a lot for her courage and endurance. Most other people would just forget about it, overwhelmed by the might of the LA machine. Heck, when I see all the yellow-wristed conformists on their bikes, my inclination is to ignore them and not bother engaging with them.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. People sure do have strange views when it comes to freedom of speech.

Just a thought: McIlvain was motivated to lie to keep her job/secure her family, etc. Is Frankie acting similarly when he plays friendly Lance-interviewer on Versus? Is this compromise a strain on Frankie and Betsy's partnership?

Let's hope the GJ is currently giving all the minor players the chance to get a few things off their collective chests.

Ouch Lancy boy, you have better handled that kitten with scratch-proof gloves.

This lady (BA) has some serious spirit going on. Good on her!

All it takes is one person with too much heart to lie for you.

One more goal for the Truth.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Betsy Andreu is up there with Christophe Basson :). She saw the dirt and didn't want anything to do with it, better still she stood up to it. Well done Betsy.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Ouch Lancy boy, you have better handled that kitten with scratch-proof gloves.

This lady (BA) has some serious spirit going on. Good on her!
All it takes is one person with too much heart to lie for you.

One more goal for the Truth.

Yup. After reading this interview yesterday I was immediately a "Betsy fan". She strikes me as a woman I would be proud to know. There comes a time once in a while, where you are forced to either:

1.) call a spade a spade and damn the torpedos, even if your reputation and very livelihood are at stake, or

2.) you remain PC, hide behind your pride, fear, and arrogance to protect your own interests. She's taken the route of integrity. Unfortunately for her, integrity rarely rules the world.

I've never been an LA hater, and highly enjoyed his racing, but when you ruthlessly plow over people enough times... eventually the piper comes calling. If he's guilty of such...I wish him well in becoming a better man.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Interesting to note that "little ole single mom who lied to take care of sick child" turns out to be "drug and booze filled hate crazed women living with a very big lie". Funny how thesre things turn out.

Sounds to me she was pressured. I wonder how much hush she got paid..... You'd only react this way if you were hating yourself.

And as wordy stated.. this is the fall out from Lance. This is how's he's hurt so many people. Disgusting.

She was clearly coached for her second call. Notice how she brings up the booze and pills in the hope that whatever she said might be inadmissible. She also pretends that she has not talked with Lance.....it is her job to talk to Lance. She is his person rep from Oakley.

Imagine you are Betsy. You barely knows Stephanie and had not talked to her for months. She suddenly calls you drunk off her **** and starts wishing you and your children harm.

Restraining order.

TRENDING THREADS