• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ian Stannard Thread

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Total beast of a rider. Last year showed his worth many times and arguably the ride of the day at Milano SanRemo.

Dark horse for Paris Robuaix imo.

Stannard_Ian_Kuurne10-Kwarem.jpg

IanStannardNationalsCorrect_2785740.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
I think he already did some work at the front at the bunch when Thomas and EBH were still there, so that makes it even more impressive.

Yep, he was at the front with around 50km to go.

Then the Thomas crashed and Sky eased off. Rest is history :)

jens_attacks said:
in fact he rode it brilliantly. he'd have no chance in a sprint with ciolek,fab and sagan

That attack on the flat was fantastic, true, but he looked completely spent in the very end when he was still leading out but had no chance of getting away anymore. Still, you're right, can't criticise him for trying anyway.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I think initially he was only a helper for Thomas or EBH, but after those two were gone, he found himself in an unfamiliar position, and probably the sport director also had a mini panic attack don't know what to do:D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
This man should be Sky's early classics captain. Always.
Racing all the way. Chapeau.

Him and Thomas. I think Thomas would had made the final group if not that crash. Wonder how they split the roles at Ronde.

However all hope I had for EBH is now gone, he will never do well in tough classics.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking good for Roubaix. Right size rider for flat cobbles.

Sky should rejig the deck a bit in the classics, give him a bigger place.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great ride by him today. I doubt he would have won with Sagan, Cance, and others behind him, but he sure made them hurt. Looking forward to see him dishing out some pain in PR.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Very good move given fast guys behind who could have hesitated and handed him the win.

Sky do seem to have good brains in the car (or the brass consulting with the car in the race). Richie Porte's attack in Paris Nice, and Froome's in Tirreno were perfectly timed. Ditto Stannard today.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Given how early EBH was dropped I think Sky have to consider pencilling Stannard in as co-leader with Thomas at Flanders and PR. EBH has flattered to deceive too often in the classics to deserve leadership over Stannard.

Even better given he was leading the peloton for so long for his team leaders. And I thought his attack at the end was the only way he could win from that group; if he had sat on the wheels he still would have come sixth, he could never win a sprint. His only option was to attack early and slip away as the others looked at each other. He built up a gap until sagan decided to close it.

I thought it was a good move. Canc and Sagan behind had to chase him and give Ciolek the win, or force Ciolek to work... which would probably have given Stannard the win. Stannard had 0 chance if he'd hung around in the group.

williamp78 said:
Given how early EBH was dropped I think Sky have to consider pencilling Stannard in as co-leader with Thomas at Flanders and PR. EBH has flattered to deceive too often in the classics to deserve leadership over Stannard.

Even better given he was leading the peloton for so long for his team leaders. And I thought his attack at the end was the only way he could win from that group; if he had sat on the wheels he still would have come sixth, he could never win a sprint. His only option was to attack early and slip away as the others looked at each other. He built up a gap until sagan decided to close it.

I think you're watching through British tinted specs.

If it weren't for Sky, EBH would have won 2 or 3 monuments by now.

</Maltiv>

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I think you're watching through British tinted specs.

If it weren't for Sky, EBH would have won 2 or 3 monuments by now.

</Maltiv>

You're certainly right about the Red white and blue tinted glasses but not sure I agree with you're second statement.

Not sure you can blame his team today if he gets dropped while Cav stays with the group.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
williamp78 said:
You're certainly right about the Red white and blue tinted glasses but not sure I agree with you're second statement.

Not sure you can blame his team today if he gets dropped while Cav stays with the group.

He was being sarcastic mate ;) :)

TRENDING THREADS