• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

if Arbiter is a troll, is he better than Vadar at ThePaceline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Vadar at the Paceline must be the best troll ever. He was drinking yak's milk on the Kazakh steppe with the fanbois, then knifing them in the same breath.

Is Arbiter better?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about Vader, but Arbie certainly sticks to his guns. He would never ever admit anything bad about Armstrong. One thing I'll give Arbie is he has a tremendous work ethic. It must be difficult to cover so many different threads at once and still maintain the same intensity and conviction when faced with fire from so many different directions. He's good for a laugh, but sometimes we, me included, encourage him to much.

A

Anonymous

Eva Maria said:
Arb can't hold a candle to Vader. Vader was, and always will be, the greatest troll ever.

Yea, Jeff is in a class all by himself. Arbiter is pretty good however, he keeps the water just below boil, and that is pretty impressive control.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Almost as if it were a paid gig...

I think that Gree2032 was - I hope he was getting paid for his word count and not on his content.

I dont think The Arbiter is a troll - as s/he just makes assumptions- with no knowledge or facts to back it up so its easy to defeat.

A

Anonymous

I must say I have wondered about the possibility of paid employees posting, but Arbiter is not one. I am telling you, that guy is smart. He rides just inside the "too stupid to be believed" line as well as anyone I have seen.

The thing that made Vader the pinnacle of Trolldom was his ability to cross that line and still hook people in. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The Troll is dead. Long live the Troll.

Maybe a mod or some of you who visit other forums can help me out with this one. PM if you don't think this belongs on a thread... but I think it does.

What is the typical rationale for getting banned? The Arbiter is banned on this site. His last posts were his typical skillful troller stuff without any personal attacks that crossed the line. Mind-numbingly boring at times, kind of entertaining when he reeled in an indignant soul, but essentially harmless.

On the plus side, this lets us play "Spot the Phoenix" when the troll rises up with a new handle. But why in the name of free speech was he banned simply for submitting his opinion in a non-threatening manner? His last sign-out said "Later"... maybe he banned himself?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I must admit that I am surprised Arbie has been banned by the moderators, if he has. He has been very quiet. I sometimes think that this is a fanboy habit though - they come in, blast away and then disappear. Gree was another of the many that did this. I think WBT was banned but I don't know why. The only person that I know was banned was Jackhammer and he had a spectacular meltdown which was absolutely ban-worthy.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wow - I did not realize Arbiter was banned. He was never really personal with his attacks. I enjoyed going up against him - even though his lack of knowledge could fairly easily be exposed - but it keeps me on my toes.

I don't like the idea of posters being banned - unless for some flagrant breaking of the rules or personal insults.

The Arbiter to be fair always stayed just under that line - although he was quick to use the word 'hater' - which is petty.

I believe the mods can check IP addresses so perhaps they spotted that it was someone who had already been banned.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
Maybe a mod or some of you who visit other forums can help me out with this one. PM if you don't think this belongs on a thread... but I think it does.

What is the typical rationale for getting banned? The Arbiter is banned on this site. His last posts were his typical skillful troller stuff without any personal attacks that crossed the line. Mind-numbingly boring at times, kind of entertaining when he reeled in an indignant soul, but essentially harmless.

On the plus side, this lets us play "Spot the Phoenix" when the troll rises up with a new handle. But why in the name of free speech was he banned simply for submitting his opinion in a non-threatening manner? His last sign-out said "Later"... maybe he banned himself?

He was banned? Actually, that isn't cool. The reality is that he would have just showed up under another name. Maybe that is why he was banned though. Maybe they found out that he was just another sock puppet of someone who has done this numerous times here. You can go back and find countless times where a LA troll came along, incited a riot, got slammed to the ground, and never posted again. Either that or there is handbook you can get from Livestrong.com that tells you what to write.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

Trolling and bating are against the rules of pretty much any message board. Arbiter did this consistently. It adds no value to the board and only serves to increase conflict. In moderate amounts it can be funny, but Arbiter would skim that line and often went over it. Many boards also have a rule against multiple handles. I think Arbiter was one of 3-4 names that he used.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I don't like the idea of posters being banned - unless for some flagrant breaking of the rules or personal insults.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. I can always choose not to look if I disagree with an opinion that does not cross the line.

Dr. Maserati said:
I believe the mods can check IP addresses so perhaps they spotted that it was someone who had already been banned.

You might have it there. No doubt the trolling attracted interest. The Arbiter possibly came into existence shortly following the demise of another banned user.

Later Doc.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I have become convinced that Arbiter is posting in the tech and gear sections as Pro Tour. Making stupid claims about leg shaving and 12 speed groupsets. There writing styles and levels smugness seem to be identical. Either that or there is someone out there who is way off with the pixies.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
I have become convinced that Arbiter is posting in the tech and gear sections as Pro Tour. Making stupid claims about leg shaving and 12 speed groupsets. There writing styles and levels smugness seem to be identical. Either that or there is someone out there who is way off with the pixies.

Ahhhh... good call. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same person at all.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Don't say that - the last person to say that to me got banned!!

Hmmm. Now if I got banned, that would be funny. My posts are sooooo boring. Maybe I should qualify that just in case.... "later" meant we'll blog cordially in the future, not that I will see the good doctor later when I step off the plane and challenge him to a Jackhammeresque duel;)!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I think that Gree2032 was - I hope he was getting paid for his word count and not on his content.

I dont think The Arbiter is a troll - as s/he just makes assumptions- with no knowledge or facts to back it up so its easy to defeat.

I was thinking gree & arbiter might be one & the same, one disappeared about the same time as the other appeared. And i think Gree purposely wrote in a long winded tedious fashion which did not seem to flow naturally for him.
He tried to reference lawyers & the law far too often, in his pseudo lawyer speak. However being that i come from a family of lawyers, there are certain phrases that constantly slip into their conversation and never once have i heard a phrase like"the preponderance of evidence says" from a lawyer and other Gree speak phrases.

Arbiter tries to make alot of the same points as Gree, gets hung up on the same facts or lack thereof and seems to generally work in the same manner.
The difference between the to being in the style of writing which i think was a conscious effort on the part of Gree so he would appear far different than his other identity.
And as long as i have speculated to this extent i think the true identity of both is some flunky gopher in the Law offices used by LA. The purpose being to compile a complete list of possible allegations so they can create a more cohesive & comprehensive "reality".
The backdated TUE, maybe they will change the story, ie paperwork error, mis dated. "The clerical worker in charge forgot to change the date of the stamp"
I would imagine they have plausible paper trail created to prove that the synthetic epo sample were now actually another riders sample and the labels were switched etc

They are working on possible scenarios for the Andreu, DR LA Hospital room encounter. They already tried pressure, then it never happened, then treatments being discussed. etc

They are trying to create something to tie it all together to make a plausible defense. They bounce this crap off the forum thru aliases to make sure there is not something they have overlooked. The law clerks used to have to dig thru mountains of law books to help with the partners case, now they can just let others find the references by baiting people in knowledgeable forums
do not feed the trolls.....

53 x 11 said:

I thought Arbiter was the return of Jackhammer, only a lot more successfully medicated.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I must say I have wondered about the possibility of paid employees posting, but Arbiter is not one. I am telling you, that guy is smart. He rides just inside the "too stupid to be believed" line as well as anyone I have seen.

The thing that made Vader the pinnacle of Trolldom was his ability to cross that line and still hook people in. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it.

:D Don't know anything about the vadar but Arbiter couldn't topple BigBoat in being a troll. He's (don't think bigboats a she) is in a class of his own in trollism. Head of the pack.:D though i do agree with him on the armstrong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS