• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If Contador rides the Giro, will Wiggins still ride it?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

If Contador rides the giro, will wiggins still ride it?

• He'll break his collarbone on purpose to make it legit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Bertie would be a fool to ride the Giro in the 100th anniversary year of a climbing-heavy Tour this year, when he should reclaim Tour supremacy. Exhaust himself in the Giro to fall short in the Tour this year? No way. (Riis is no dummy.)

Much more sense for Brad to ride the Giro whoever shows up. Shane Sutton makes a lot of sense on this: Brad should aim for each GT, not repeat wins in one (if that's even possible).

airstream said:
Contador can be different too. They both may be different. Yes, if Contador will show up at the 2009 Tour level, it is extremely difficult to imagine Wiggins winning. But to say 'Wiggins has no chance' is way over.

IMO, people generally underrate defensive riding that Wiggins promotes, confusing visual show and effectiveness. It is like blanket stereotype which I can not understand. True, Wiggins is dependent on the team rider, but people tend to absolutize this. Nonetheless, all that was discussed numerous times and I have nothing new to say.

Man you are a case. You abandoned our boy Andy cos he didn't have it to beat Bertie, you got on the Froome train cos you thought he could beat Bertie, now you are just about to get on the Wiggins train if I read where you are going with this.

And yes totally agree, you have nothing new to say.

ferryman said:
Man you are a case. You abandoned our boy Andy cos he didn't have it to beat Bertie, you got on the Froome train cos you thought he could beat Bertie, now you are just about to get on the Wiggins train if I read where you are going with this.

You guys actually believed he was an Andy fan? He only ever pretended to be an Andy fan because last year a lot of Contador fans were really hateful of Andy.

He never actually defended Andy if he was compared to other riders or talked him up in any thread that wasnt about Contador.

He has been willing put down Andy Schleck in a heartbeat if he feels Contador fans are defending him or if people are talking up his performances at the 2009 and 2010 Tours because Contador was there.

The Hitch said:
You guys actually believed he was an Andy fan? He only ever pretended to be an Andy fan because last year a lot of Contador fans were really hateful of Andy.

He never actually defended Andy if he was compared to other riders or talked him up in any thread that wasnt about Contador.

He has been willing put down Andy Schleck in a heartbeat if he feels Contador fans are defending him or if people are talking up his performances at the 2009 and 2010 Tours because Contador was there.

I know, but I like to work the Andy thing with him, which he never responds to. Although, to be clear, I am a genuine Andy fan:eek: :)

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Contador can be different too. They both may be different. Yes, if Contador will show up at the 2009 Tour level, it is extremely difficult to imagine Wiggins winning. But to say 'Wiggins has no chance' is way over.

IMO, people generally underrate defensive riding that Wiggins promotes, confusing visual show and effectiveness. It is like blanket stereotype which I can not understand. True, Wiggins is dependent on the team rider, but people tend to absolutize this. Nonetheless, all that was discussed numerous times and I have nothing new to say.

Wiggins on pure talent is not in the same category as AC. Wiggins admits that also. Last year's "wins" were from the compensation of the Sky train. That train is back to the 2009 level in my opinion with the exit of some notable clinic related names. Actually I rate Wiggins below Nibali, Purito, Basso, the list continues.....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Pretty much this. Leaving enough time for recovery before Tour:D

Froome to be his slave for the 2nd year running.

But, I feel it will be a badly acted injury not the real one and then the UCI will have to decide if a faked injury against the rules.

jilbiker said:
Wiggins on pure talent is not in the same category as AC. Wiggins admits that also. Last year's "wins" were from the compensation of the Sky train. That train is back to the 2009 level in my opinion with the exit of some notable clinic related names. Actually I rate Wiggins below Nibali, Purito, Basso, the list continues.....

Kinda agree with the above quote,and Riis won,t let Alberto ride both tours.Knowing that winning both these days is simply impossible.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:

I didn't abandone anyone. Do you want conflicts? For me, your hypertrophied vision of Contador and all others is absolute utopia too. You stance is based on the gulf between Contador, Schleck and all the rest. I strongly disagree with that. However I behave normally, don't say 'you are a case' and don't accuse anyone of anything.

Generally, I find it offensive when desperate Contador fans dare learn others how they should root, what a real fan is etc. Do you want to set certain standarts who a real fan is cos you consider yourself a real fan? Ease up. You won't be able to do that.

You always gloss over Contador, always find excuses, often ignore his rivals and almost never remember excuses for them, you turn a blind eye to certain things because you don't wanna see them, you say about Contador as the 2013 Tour winner as thought it is an accomplished fact. You settled in your kingdom of assumptions and imaginations and consider them the only correct? And you accuse the other forum member just cos' he sees the situation differently??! Hell, am i crazy? Don't i know anything? Shame on you.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Wiggins on pure talent is not in the same category as AC. Wiggins admits that also.
It is conventionality and not a guarantee of defeat. Going by talent, everyone should surrender straight on the start, no?

Last year's "wins" were from the compensation of the Sky train.
It is wrong to explain everything by the train. Wiggins was very strong himself. He was the second climber in the race, after Froome.
That train is back to the 2009 level in my opinion with the exit of some notable clinic related names.
Today Wiggins is a much better time trialist than in 2009. And even back then he was a very good climber, considering how much he had to work at the front. Wiggins had back up only on Le Grand Bornard stage. On the rest stages he defended very decently looking into account that it was his debut like a GC contender. But again he improved as a climber too.
Actually I rate Wiggins below Nibali, Purito, Basso, the list continues.....
The reason?

My logic is Contador won't be able to win a pure class if Wiggins will show up at 2012 level. Moreover it will be very difficult to win if Wiggins turns out to be the second climber in the race. It's very hard to gain time by miles alone even for Contador.

In all the years: Contador won alone:
- 45 sec on Verbier;
- 50 (?) sec on Angliru;

All the rest was gain with one's help. Contador needs cooperations, he needs the guys who will be very good (better than Wiggins) climbers. Nibali and Basso will be stronger than Wiggins? I'm not sure.

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont think he would pull out or soft pedal the giro just because of alberto's prescence. In his book Wiggins talks about his regret of riding in the grupetto on the zoncolon stage of the 2010 giro, sacrificing a top-10 finish to be fresher for the tour (which didnt work). Also he's a patriotic and fairly historic guy that would want accept a podium finish (podium finishes in every GT in his career)

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I do find it odd that even though Contador is by far and away the best GT racer that many of his fans have to demean other riders to get some kind of satisfaction. Not just Wiggins but pretty much any of the GC riders. Baffling really.

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Also just like to say that Contador will be a huge challlege to Wiggins. With Rujano, Sanchez and Nibali there the mountain attacks would be far more serious than in the tour 2012 and Contador woudn't be on his own up the road

Wiggins will ride the Giro for sure. Interesting that Evans reckons the Giro/Tour double is possible according to an interview yesterday. He thought that as long as their are no setbacks such as sickness etc....he thinks for a rider in great form, it is possible. I would be surprised if Contador started the Giro simply because he has said that Tour will be his main focus this year after not riding it last year and he will be hungry for success in the race. It would be interesting though if he did ride both and Wiggins did the same. Froome, Andy,Evans and Rodriguez would be not too unhappy if that happened !

airstream said:
It is conventionality and not a guarantee of defeat. Going by talent, everyone should surrender straight on the start, no?

It is wrong to explain everything by the train. Wiggins was very strong himself. He was the second climber in the race, after Froome.

Today Wiggins is a much better time trialist than in 2009. And even back then he was a very good climber, considering how much he had to work at the front. Wiggins had back up only on Le Grand Bornard stage. On the rest stages he defended very decently looking into account that it was his debut like a GC contender. But again he improved as a climber too.

The reason?

My logic is Contador won't be able to win a pure class if Wiggins will show up at 2012 level. Moreover it will be very difficult to win if Wiggins turns out to be the second climber in the race. It's very hard to gain time by miles alone even for Contador.

In all the years: Contador won alone:
- 45 sec on Verbier;
- 50 (?) sec on Angliru;

All the rest was gain with one's help. Contador needs cooperations, he needs the guys who will be very good (better than Wiggins) climbers. Nibali and Basso will be stronger than Wiggins? I'm not sure.

I don't think Contador will start, but regardless... it's a bit much to assume that Wiggins will be the (second) best climber in the race. Sure, if you account for consistency and take the Sky train - Froome in particular - for granted, then yes, he was the second best climber in the Tour, but that was on a medium mountain course... ASO even advertised it as such.

Basso on 2010 form would certainly be able to drop both Wiggins and Nibali. Don't forget that Scarponi was a better climber than Nibali in the 2011 Giro, either. Nibali is not some guy that will easily win the Giro if the big guns aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS