• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

• (Most likely) Not enough TT km in the tour

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Looking outside Italy, Moser said that he also considers it premature to regard Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins as a new star. “He won the yellow jersey as the Tour has been designed specifically for his characteristics,” he said, claiming that his team did much of the work to set him up in the mountains, and that the difference was made in the time trials. “I do not think would be able to do it again with a different parcours. The only real great, I think, is Contador.”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...gins-are-not-yet-champions.aspx#ixzz28EjytQH4

Interesting. Actually, I kind of agree. At least that Contador is the only current campione. I think, tho, that there are other campioni on the road today, but we don't know who they are yet. Will Wiggo get there? Hmmm - I think Froome is more likely of the two.

I take that back a little, I also think Cancellara and Cav are current campioni - just not GT winners/campioni! But I think they will be remembered with the greats - and that is the final arbiter, yes? Who gets remembered as campioni.

It'll probably be a combination of these factors, rather than just one.
To which, I'll add another.
Just back from holiday in Italy and couldn't believe the promotion Sky were putting out: they were on every billboard and every electrical shop, lots of street corners too.
So I suspect it all fits together: Wiggins personal preference and the corporate push behind the brand.
Does no one think he did a Hinault when under pressure and promised next year to Lemond/Froome?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Interesting. Actually, I kind of agree. At least that Contador is the only current campione. I think, tho, that there are other campioni on the road today, but we don't know who they are yet. Will Wiggo get there? Hmmm - I think Froome is more likely of the two.

I take that back a little, I also think Cancellara and Cav are current campioni - just not GT winners/campioni! But I think they will be remembered with the greats - and that is the final arbiter, yes? Who gets remembered as campioni.
I think Boonen has earned his place if you include Cancellara and Cav.

i would say boonen will be remembered much more then cav and canc in the future. let's not forget he is 1 win away to beat the record of wins on 2 monuments and it is very unlikely that he will not win at least one on the next few years.

canc would need to win 3 of each to get those records so his chances are somewhere btw small and null.

cav will be reminded as the best sprinter of his time, maybe even the best sprinter ever but sprinters simply don't leave the mark classics riders and GT contenders leave on people's memory. mostly because you could put all the decisive moments and wins of their careers on a 5 minutes video :p

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
mellowjohnny said:
problem is (and all teams have this) - sky only have 2 riders to target 3 gcs in wiggins and froome, i guess they could throw uran at the vuelta if they were daring but they won't be.

The giro looks tailored for wiggins, they want a tour winner in their race, it will hype it up further which will be good for all.

i wonder how wiggins will feel after the giro, maybe he will play super domestique for froome this team if so, but i can't see a hinault/lemond scenario again any time soon

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Alpehue said:
How can anyone have this conversation and leave out Indurain.

wiggins also total idiot for comparing himself to indurain. it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. indurain rode like a king and murdered all his opponents where ever he wanted. including the mountains... :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
wiggins also total idiot for comparing himself to indurain. it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. indurain rode like a king and murdered all his opponents where ever he wanted. including the mountains... :rolleyes:

And he won against the best of his time, something Wiggins will never achieve. Heck i'll be surprised if he'll ever ride against the best of his time ;)

And oh yeah forgot to mention all the GT's Indurain won :cool:

coinneach said:
It'll probably be a combination of these factors, rather than just one.
To which, I'll add another.
Just back from holiday in Italy and couldn't believe the promotion Sky were putting out: they were on every billboard and every electrical shop, lots of street corners too.
So I suspect it all fits together: Wiggins personal preference and the corporate push behind the brand.
Does no one think he did a Hinault when under pressure and promised next year to Lemond/Froome?

Well, he promised "in the future", not necessarily next year.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Hes scared of Andy Schleck.

It is possible as well.:DIf Wiggins competes,I think Andy will beat him in Tour.
I have never cheered for Andy,but I hope he will be fine next year and with top form.He is a top climber and we have to appreciate it :)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
So do you honestly believe Wiggins would have been competitive in Giro 2011? Now that really is Ha Ha:eek:

No, but the reasons are clinic stuff.

But its great to see some people, well just you these days, still clinging to the 'wiggins will never amount to anything' meme.

----------------

Boonen >> Canc

Spartacus would need 2 more years like 2010 and a Worlds road race title before I would rethink on that (and to get busted for epic partying several times)

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I think he has to ride the tour, anything else would taint any legacy he wants to leave. IMO the tour champion should always go back to defend the title. The fact that a number of riders were not there or off form for whatever reason means people will always speculate on what would have happened. If a full roster of the top guns are riding the tour next year Wiggins pride may force him to have to prove he is the man. I think the Giro is too soon in the year the vuelta is too difficult a race for him to win.

If I was to have a guess it would be Froome to go for the Giro-Vuelta double and miss the tour so he isnt burnt out by the time spain comes round and Wiggins to Defend in the Tour. It makes more sense to me and Froomes TT skills and a mountain TT in the Giro with some hard climbs makes it as much an option for him as Wiggins.

TRENDING THREADS