• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2016, Oct 1st

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Danish commentators also really surprised by Chaves, I dont really get it. He has shown plenty of times that he is very, very explosive uphill and has also showed decent sprint capabilities amongst climbers. Not surprised to see him win out of this group tbh, although Uran probably was a slight favourite in a sprint

Re:

luckyboy said:
Never thought I would be disappointed about an Astana rider losing.

All that work for Aru, so he couldn't make the decisive move and had to chase on his own..
It was madness from Astana to make Rosa do so much work when he did. The group was still huge then, both he and Aru could have continued to sit in and keep more cards open. Even if some riders from the peloton would have got back, they'd have just dropped again on the next climb.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
luckyboy said:

All that work for Aru, so he couldn't make the decisive move and had to chase on his own..
It was madness from Astana to make Rosa do so much work when he did. The group was still huge then, both he and Aru could have continued to sit in and keep more cards open. Even if some riders from the peloton would have got back, they'd have just dropped again on the next climb.

but working on a 9% climb doesn't take much more energy than following

Re: Re:

Billie said:
DFA123 said:
luckyboy said:

but working on a 9% climb doesn't take much more energy than following
True, it's not a big difference. But it's still probably cost him 10-20 watts compared with sitting in, which can make the difference after 240km. Also, he was closing down a few attacks and generally wasting energy - all for a rider who, 50km from the finish, clearly didn't have what it takes.

TRENDING THREADS