• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2022, one day monument, October 8, farewell to Nibali and Valverde

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I the favorite in Lombardia? I don't know, if all goes well, I think I'm one of the favorites, and then the race and the state of form that day may vary, but from today, I can be there and fight for victory. If I am well, I really like the new course," said Valverde, before projecting on the sequel and his retirement. "After Lombardy, I'll rest, then I'll go out with friends, a few criteria and then try to enjoy the bike in a different way, as well as family, friends and companions. I'm staying on the team, I still have two years left on a contract, we'll do more and anything that can make us better will be welcome."

Pogacar, Mas, Vingegaard, Valverde, Nibali. That's it. That's the favorites.
Pozzovivo, Yates, Uran, Higuita, Formolo should do well, but I can't see any of them winning.
Alaphilippe is a bit of enigma. He looked stronger yesterday, he might do well on Saturday.

What about these outsiders:
  • The great Bauke Mollema
  • Vingegaard
  • Jay Vine
  • Landa
  • Mohoric
  • Schachmann
  • Hindley
  • Vlasov
  • Uran
  • Powless
  • Gaudu
  • Bardet
  • Arensman

• Vingegaard
  • Jay Vine
  • Landa
  • Mohoric
  • Schachmann
  • Hindley
  • Vlasov
  • Uran
  • Powless
  • Gaudu
  • Bardet
  • Arensman
I thought, Schachmann‘s season was over. Can‘t see Mohorič winning, Hindley might be tired, Arensman hasn‘t been great either, Jay Vine is out of form, a lot of the others with question marks. But they might surprise us, who knows

Reactions: Sandisfan
  • Vingegaard
  • Jay Vine
  • Landa
  • Mohoric
  • Schachmann
  • Hindley
  • Vlasov
  • Uran
  • Powless
  • Gaudu
  • Bardet
  • Arensman
I mentioned Vingegaard and Uran. Others, I don't think so...

Also, it's unbelievable for how many years Valverde and Nibali are the favorites here. Valverde was among the favorites already in 2005 I think, and Nibali I guess from 2010 up until now. They last forever!

Thibaut Pinot will not be at the start. The winner of Lombardia 2018 has closed his season and will not be at the start on Saturday of the great classic which will close in 2022. For him the last race of the season remains the Vuelta.

FeSGwx2XwAAXaeD

Thibaut Pinot will not be at the start. The winner of Lombardia 2018 has closed his season and will not be at the start on Saturday of the great classic which will close in 2022. For him the last race of the season remains the Vuelta.

I was starting to suspect it, when he wasn't selected for any of the warm-up races.

Voodoo claims another. It might actually be happening

His presence wouldn't have made a difference. He's no longer the rider who won two stages of the Vuelta, and Lombardia back in 2018.