• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Piccolo Principe

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly, to me he's the Lleyton Hewitt of cycling. Tremendous heights at a very young age, then very good for the next few years before fading away completely. The last years have just been sad to see him randomly pop up way down not knowing he was actually there. Hope he finds happiness in retirement.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Honestly, to me he's the Lleyton Hewitt of cycling. Tremendous heights at a very young age, then very good for the next few years before fading away completely. The last years have just been sad to see him randomly pop up way down not knowing he was actually there. Hope he finds happiness in retirement.
Hard to believe that he still dfinished 4th in Strade Bianche in 2014 and 5th on gc in Trentino in 2015.
After 2012 his decline started, he still had a few decent years, but he probably should have retired after the 2016 season.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Red Rick said:
Hard to believe that he still dfinished 4th in Strade Bianche in 2014 and 5th on gc in Trentino in 2015.
After 2012 his decline started, he still had a few decent years, but he probably should have retired after the 2016 season.
Yeah the last 2 years have been sad. 2016 was still acceptable with fighting for the KOM at the Giro

Yeah: https://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/28-06-2018/principe-maestro-cunegopozzato-all-ultimo-tricolore-280171173106.shtml
422fa8a45eb9984b161e26b443141063_169_l.jpg

will be present with Pippo Pozzato at the Italian Nationals
:)

However:
«Seeing that I am no longer competitive and I'll put myself at the service of Marco Canola

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:

However:
«Seeing that I am no longer competitive and I'll put myself at the service of Marco Canola

And that, to me, is the mark of a true star. Someone who recognises when their time is over and are willing to ride for others, rather than insisting on being a protected rider simply because "I'm a big name!"

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
TourOfSardinia said:

However:

And that, to me, is the mark of a true star. Someone who recognises when their time is over and are willing to ride for others, rather than insisting on being a protected rider simply because "I'm a big name!"
I’ve always respected Cunego’s modesty. Seems a genuinely likeable person.

His cycling career was an enigma to me.
You can only do so much when you ha.e royal events to tend too. I think it's weird his one day results dropped before GT ones. It would have been nice if he got the mountains classification but a GT, 3 monuments, 3 classics, some stage racrs, 6 GT stage wins, and a silver medal is good. Not to mention honorary TdS winner. I feel like he had the opposite career trajectory of GVA with high profile wins young and than to being there but not winning.

Maybe he actually is Il Piccolo Principe. Not cycling related but I had replied to one of his Instagram stories. Not only did he reply back and struck up a conversation but thanked me for liking him as a rider and supporting him. All to a non Italian speaker in English.
Yep he's a very nice guy.
I remember watching a long interview during lockdown. He reflected on his career achievements, failures, even power outputs. Said he would have probably changed a few things if he could go back, but he wasn't bitter about it.

I hated him when he burst into the scene because I was a huge Gibo fan, but he won me over a few years later, never looking as invincible as I thought he would be after dominating that Giro.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I can't really remember well the Giro that he won now, but could you make a comparison to JA's tour last year if he had held on?
I didn't see it live; just results page, somw highlights but I don't like watching stuff that's not in English as it is hard to follow, and what others have said on the forum. Libertine Seguros had a good review of that Giro quite awhile ago but I couldn't find it when searching. Cunego just had the perfect route for his abilities with the majority flat stages or not so difficult mountains.

Yep he's a very nice guy.
I remember watching a long interview during lockdown. He reflected on his career achievements, failures, even power outputs. Said he would have probably changed a few things if he could go back, but he wasn't bitter about it.

I hated him when he burst into the scene because I was a huge Gibo fan, but he won me over a few years later, never looking as invincible as I thought he would be after dominating that Giro.
He seemed like it. I have seen he usually responds to fan comments on his Facebook and Instagram posts but they're almost exclusively Italian. Then the fact he replied with 24.6k followers so who knows how many he gets.

Reactions: Red Rick
I didn't see it live; just results page, somw highlights but I don't like watching stuff that's not in English as it is hard to follow, and what others have said on the forum. Libertine Seguros had a good review of that Giro quite awhile ago but I couldn't find it when searching. Cunego just had the perfect route for his abilities with the majority flat stages or not so difficult mountains.

Was probably the easiest Giro route of the 2000s. He won the race on a single hilly/medium mountain stage where he gained 2+ minutes on the other favorites. Other favorites did not really chase him because Saeco had the numerical advantage in the group. He lost quite a bit of time in the TT but he also collected a lot of bonus seconds in uphill sprints. I don´t think he wins the race if SImoni rides for another team.

The result really tells the story of the race. Honchar finished 2nd. Cioni 5th and freaking Bradley McGee 8th.