• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Impey cleared of doping - free to race

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Much of this report is based on non-scientific procedures, taking the word of the pharmacist that such and such was done, a polygraph test of Impey (oh, come on), and passport review (irrelevant). Here is the actual scientific evidence, as far as I can see from the link:

the level’s [sic] seen in Impey’s sample corresponded with a likely dosage of 2.54 mg of probenecid

In my posts 308 and 317 upthread, I estimated that a dose as low as 10-20 ug might be detectable, so no problem detecting this level. And fmk cited a study showing as much as nearly 10 mg of a drug might contaminate a pill counter, so 2.5 mg is possible.

The problem I have is that they did very little to close the gap between plausible and probable. They did not test the capsules Impey took, assuming any remained; they did not run fresh capsules through the counter to demonstrate that they picked up this amount of prob; they didn’t even test the counter after a run to see how much contaminant was actually present. What we get is this:

The hearing was given a witness statement from a pharmacist Ms Franciska Jordaan, who carried out a mock dispensing of Proben in a pill counter. She wrote that white residue was visible in the device after the dispensing.

Why in the world would she not attempt to measure the amount, at the least, if not also demonstrate how much could be transferred to capsules? This is not poor science, it’s anti-science. Anyone can claim she saw white powder. A scientist would measure it, and provide all the details involved in doing this so that it could be replicated by someone else.

But as far as I can see, this is all one of Impey’s experts used to conclude the level of contamination was consistent with what Impey ingested:

Piszczek concluded that it was possible that 5-10mg of residue could be left on a standard pill counter after the dispensing of 30 Proben tablets

Concluded on the basis of what? That a white residue was visible? Since when does a scientist make a quantitative determination based on how much can be seen with the eye?

And to repeat a point I made earlier, even if the amount on the counter were determined to be roughly the amount Impey ingested, one still needs to demonstrate that most of this amount was actually picked up by capsules. Suppose ten mg were found on the counter. How much of it actually found its way onto the capsules?

On top of all this, there is uncertainty if in Impey's actual case, the instrument was contaminated:

The arbitrators were told it was possible the standard operating procedures of the pharmacy were not followed, namely the cleaning of the pill counter with cotton wool and a brush prior to every act of dispensing.

The pharmacist gives a detailed statement confirming a convenient timeline that would make it possible for Impey's capsules to be contaminated (and maybe, it seems to me, making him liable to a lawsuit from other customers claiming their drugs were contaminated), but he can't even say whether the instrument was cleaned or not? Is there not a strict rule that all employees are aware of that the counter is to be cleaned following dispensing of any drug, or at least of any non-coated drug? What kind of show is he running there?

So it's possible the counter was contaminated, it's possible that the contamination was 5-10 mg, it's possible this amount got on the capsules. A lot of unproven possibilities. Standard statistics tells us what the likely probability of several possibilities is.

I haven’t seen the actual decision yet, but based on this information, this appears very sloppy. As I noted in an earlier post, given the possibility that other athletes will use the same rationale (and they have in the past, I cited a case previously), this case should have been probed in great detail. Much more could have been done that wasn’t done.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Much of this report is based on non-scientific procedures, taking the word of the pharmacist that such and such was done, a polygraph test of Impey (oh, come on), and passport review (irrelevant). Here is the actual scientific evidence, as far as I can see from the link:
Good post. I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

Suppose ten mg were found on the counter. How much of it actually found its way onto the capsules?
Precisely. And of whatever percentage may have "found its onto the capsules" from the counter, how much of that would've remained on the capsules after Impey filled them, stored them, and then consumed them?

(A point which I believe DirtyWorks raised as well)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Im a bit confused by the whole thing tbh, but right now I think im leading towards cleans.

There goes the sceptic again. Forever the optimist, always leaning in favor of the rider. :p

It is confusing though. So many coincidences...or so many lies. It's quite the labyrinth, this one.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
There goes the sceptic again. Forever the optimist, always leaning in favor of the rider. :p

It is confusing though. So many coincidences...or so many lies. It's quite the labyrinth, this one.
its not an either-or.

sceptic is erring in this false-dichotomy.

I am for the riders. and I can still laugh at the doping. And lambast silly fables.

But i inhabit the clinic because the entire politics and cycling politics and doping dynamic and embroglio is infinitely amusing. When you add in Yellow Rose and April Macy the worlds your oyster.

has anyone seen the scene in La Vie d'Adèle – Chapitres 1 & 2? (in the English market sold as Blue is the Warmest Colour). auteur Kechiche is a little heavy-handed with that scene.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
its not an either-or.

sceptic is erring in this false-dichotomy.

I am for the riders. and I can still laugh at the doping. And lambast silly fables.

But i inhabit the clinic because the entire politics and cycling politics and doping dynamic and embroglio is infinitely amusing. When you add in Yellow Rose and April Macy the worlds your oyster.

has anyone seen the scene in La Vie d'Adèle – Chapitres 1 & 2? (in the English market sold as Blue is the Warmest Colour). auteur Kechiche is a little heavy-handed with that scene.

Dude if you is bringing the yellow rose into this i am going to wear a couple of prophylactics:D

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Granville57 said:

lol, I do try to look at each case with an open mind believe it or not.

Anyway as I see it there are 3 options really.

1. Impey planned the whole thing beforehand because he was worried about testing positive. Doesnt make much sense, why take the risk of a ban.

2. Impey improvised the excuse after testing positive, and used a friendly pharmacy to help him back up his story. (Also producing fake tax invoice somehow)

3. His story is true, but still has lots of holes in it (Merckx index' post)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ofcourse DI doped. But I like him, he has balls. Look at how he returned after Bos threw him into the barriers in Turkey. They did give him the GC win that year? Or am I conflating it.

TRENDING THREADS