Innovative Anti Doping Tests

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haven't seen this program mentioned yet at the Clinic, but "Partnership for Clean Competition" has its podcast which features (among other topics) interviews now-and-then researchers who develop tests for anti-doping purposes such as a dried blood spots, OMICS approach to detect blood doping etc:

Very accessible and has some interesting topics, but I can't say I learned that much from the handful I've listened thus far, e.g. the AMGEN scientist who developed rHuEPO even mentioned something about having heard rumours of cyclists using the hormone in the late-1980s and it would've been interesting to know where the rumours originated from etc. instead of him spending minutes to tell the details of the ABP program.
There was evidence of rHuEPO use at both the Calgary & Seoul Olympics. Perhaps experimental use starting in the 1988 cycling season?

If we are to believe that what is written is true without taking a look into the sources quoted, then Francesco Moser was perhaps the first rHuEPO-user according to the CIRC-report (pp. 30-31):
Francesco Moser twice broke the hour record in 1984, reportedly helped by Dr Francesco Conconi and Dr Michele Ferrari. Francesco Moser is reported to have admitted using – at the time not illegal – blood transfusions in 1999, however in 2014 he apparently stated that: “…There wasn’t any blood transfusions, before the first or second attempt. The benefits of altitude were enough”. Seized documents from Dr. Francesco Conconi in proceedings against him apparently however showed that Francesco Moser had been treated with EPO around that time.

If we are to believe that what is written is true without taking a look into the sources quoted, then Francesco Moser was perhaps the first rHuEPO-user according to the CIRC-report (pp. 30-31):
Really is the wrong thread to be having this discussion again but: obviously Moser couldn't have used EPO in 1984. I think it's well known - as "known" as this can be in the face of omertà - that Moser's tenth-anniversary 1994 Hour rides were EPO-fuelled. That CIRC was inaccurate with its historical 'research' ... look, about the only good thing in that report is the way it highlighted how doping is defined by those talking about it, that for some it's puritanism for others it's simply not getting caught. For much of the rest, CIRC was badly written scuttlebutt.

WRT the EPO guy and the 'rumours' about its use in the 1980s. When did he say he heard these rumours? If in the 1980s, it's one thing, if later, well, there's lots of rumours about EPO use in the 1980s and this becomes like a self-referential Wiki claim eating itself. If it was contemporaneous rumours, well we know that EPO was being talked about in news reports from the Calgary Olympics. We know that Les Earnest was expressing an interest in it that same year. And we know that Søren Kragbak has said there was an attempt to recruit Dutch Danish cyclists in 1989. So, rumours of use in the 1980s: we know they exist.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY