• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Interesting article from The Independent regarding Gene Doping

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...fraud-come-from-manipulating-dna-8073605.html

I'd rather this thread not degenerate into the usual Sky/Froome bashing if possible, but might we be looking at part of the problem here?

It could potentially explain a lot - similar to the way that the early adopters of EPO were ET's and completely undetectable - if there were a team or teams that were ahead of the curve in this perspective, then they would definitely have a major advantage.

There's probably been umpteen threads on this already, but I guess what I found most interesting is that it has reached main-stream press.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The enhanced genes increased the muscle strength of the mice by 30 per cent or more, enabling them to run for faster and longer on treadmills compared with ordinary mice.

Dr Sweeney was almost immediately swamped by enquiries from athletes who wanted to get their hands on the technology

I lolled

Good article, sounds like the tech is in it's embryonic stages, at least officially. Would be interesting to find out if there were any 'experiments' out there.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I remember reading about Sweeney a few years back. The quotes are old, there's nothing new in this article, but this subject is worthy of talk. Scary stuff

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
I lolled

Good article, sounds like the tech is in it's embryonic stages, at least officially. Would be interesting to find out if there were any 'experiments' out there.

lol_zps1804354e.png

May 7, 2009
Visit site
"....Dr Sweeney was almost immediately swamped by enquiries from athletes who wanted to get their hands on the technology....."

WOW :eek:

Deagol said:
"....Dr Sweeney was almost immediately swamped by enquiries from athletes who wanted to get their hands on the technology....."

WOW :eek:

Yup, makes you wonder... I do get the feeling that gene doping will really divide the peloton in two sections. I think there will be/ is a fair amount of guys not willing to go that far.

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yup, makes you wonder... I do get the feeling that gene doping will really divide the peloton in two sections. I think there will be/ is a fair amount of guys not willing to go that far.

I disagree. IMO, it will homogenize the peloton. Those not willing "to go that far" won't make the cut, just like in the "EPO era". The difference is that society is going to be OK with it because we are all going to do it soon enough. When it starts happening nobody is going to want to be left behind.

The implications extend well beyond sport. A genetic revolution is on the immediate horizon and people are worried about how it might effect bike races: :eek:

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
heart_attack_man said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...fraud-come-from-manipulating-dna-8073605.html

I'd rather this thread not degenerate into the usual Sky/Froome bashing if possible, but might we be looking at part of the problem here?

It could potentially explain a lot - similar to the way that the early adopters of EPO were ET's and completely undetectable - if there were a team or teams that were ahead of the curve in this perspective, then they would definitely have a major advantage.

There's probably been umpteen threads on this already, but I guess what I found most interesting is that it has reached main-stream press.
What would make this illegal by today's rules?
(That is not a challenge as I have not read all of today's or WADA rules - just wondering)

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't have to become reality and if it does there may be unknown side effects. If we have a lot of riders dropping dead there may be some genetic passports or tests implemented to counteract any such developments.

The arms race does not end here. What is presently considered impossible to detect will soon be outscienced by science. Dawg or no Dawg.:)

May 7, 2009
Visit site
even if the tech is a ways off, the fact that the doctor was swamped by athletes inquiries speaks to the ethics (or lack thereof) in athletes themselves. This doesn't paint a pretty picture of honesty in sport.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Deagol said:
even if the tech is a ways off, the fact that the doctor was swamped by athletes inquiries speaks to the ethics (or lack thereof) in athletes themselves. This doesn't paint a pretty picture of honesty in sport.

In the world of win-or-lose, when was ethics important?

My worry is:
In the same year, the Salk Institute in California demonstrated how genes and environment can interact in unexpected ways to enhance athletic performance by taking drugs that can "turbocharge" specific performance-enhancing genes.

There are old texts of traditional martial arts, where performance-enhancing powders were mentioned. These researchers might have stumbled on one chemical that worked for the mice.

Do the anti-doping agencies spend enough on R&D?

Zorotheslacker said:
What would make this illegal by today's rules?
(That is not a challenge as I have not read all of today's or WADA rules - just wondering)

It's already prohibited under WADA code:

M3. GENE DOPING
The following, with the potential to enhance sport performance, are prohibited:
1. The transfer of polymers of nucleic acids or nucleic acid analogues;
2. The use of normal or genetically modified cells.

Detection of course is another thing entirely.

TRENDING THREADS